What does the sound mean?

Thread: What does the sound mean?

Question What does the sound mean?

I am sure you all can answer this. When I am on my home computer every now and then the tower makes an clicking sound like it is shutting off and on. What causes this? Would I hear the same sound on my work computer if there were no other noise in the building? Because I worry my unit may be overheating, I usually shut down quickly, but on some occasions, have not, and nothing blew up. What is that recycling sound? Do I need to be worried? If I should have some concern, what steps should I take to minimize and /or eliminate any possible problem? My only experience with home computers happen to be those my brother has "built" for my sister and myself, so I have no industry equipment with which to compare performance.
    starter

If you're certain it's your box and not some other appliance nearby...

It could be the hard disk, or a fan, or any number of things - none of which are dansgerous as such.

If the noise heard had a "grinding" quality to it, that would be different...
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Hi Adept. No I know the sound of a grinding hard drive.This is a"C'ick", "Click, donk, click, donk, click" Any suggestions? I have tried to keep the area cool, and sometimes run a fan toward the area. ( the unit is on the table just next to the window...maybe dust?) Thanks
    starter

Do you have a zip drive?
    Are any lights on the case showing at the time?
    Do you have a cd in the cdrom at the time or a floppy in the drive?

Hard drives when on their way out also can make a clicking sound.... Listen to the noises here, are any of them similar?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Originally posted by NooNoo
    ...Hard drives when on their way out also can make a clicking sound.... Listen to the noises here, are any of them similar?

Once again, I stand in awe before the power of your search strings.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Originally posted by a d e p t

Once again, I stand in awe before the power of your search strings.

Oh someone else found it and posted it on the forum - BUT IBM shucked all their support over to hitachi so it had to be found again... it's easier if you know it exists!!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Now, now, don't underappreciate your skills.

You know you're hot.

I really wouldn't write off a bad hard drive that quickly. You should download IBM's hard drive test utility and the utility for whatever brand of drive you have and run the advanced tests just to be safe.

Once more...babe in the woods here. I went to the web site, cliccked on them all, and they downloaded to tempory program files. Can't figure out how to play them. Gork!
    starter

You use windows media player

Double clicking the downloaded file should start windows media player (or your preferred player) automatically.

If they don't, start windows media player, and click file, open and navigate to the sound files and play them that way

Got to your message too late to investigate tonight. I did notice That the Red "reboot"button was acitve...plus I have a "turbo" button that I have had on. Never knew it was there, but spent some time downloading, transfering, etc., and it does make all go faster! Haven't gone to find out if I have zip files yet. More tomorrow after I listen to the .wav files. Can't believe it, I have a player on board! I went looking and this sucker is still waiting for my input. I clicked search for all files, and now I have a slew, and can't shut the bugger down! You know what they say...just enough information to be dangerous! Please hang in there with me...I really am clueless!
    starter

Hi NooNoo. I am a failure. I clicked on Windows media player. It appeared as a shortcut icon on my desktop. The .wav files were downloaded to my document files. I clicked on a few, no sound. Since they don't seem to open or play, how should I proceed? Under properties, Windows media player was selected as Archive only, if that matters. I have something called creative wav player, but cant seem to locate the document file that contains these wav.s PLease help.
    starter