Drivers for Win Server 2003

Thread: Drivers for Win Server 2003

Drivers for Win Server 2003

I recently installed Win XP on one partition and Win Server 2003 on another partition on my Dell Inspiron 8500 notebook. The Dell CD network adapter driver (Broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated controller) works for the XP installation but it will not install on the Win Server 2003 partition (message says its for XP and Win 2000 only).

Anyone know where I might find a driver compatible with Win Server 2003?

I am guessing this is the Eval. version. If it does not have one and you can't use the native XP driver then you will have to contact dell, who I highly doubt will help with a 2k3 Server driver.
    "Thou shalt not kill, remember? What in the hell kind of church man are you?" - Vash the Stampede

This neat trick worked for my Scanner because the driver checks for the product name in the registry to make sure it is installing on the correct OS. It's a long shot, but it might work for 2k3.
    Start menu run program "Regedit.exe".
    in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
    rename the key "ProductName" from "Microsoft Windows XP" to "Microsoft Windows 2000".
    Install the Mustek driver for Windows 2000.
    Undo the changes in the Registry, when you have finished the scanner driver installation.
    Substitute the correct os names and hope that it is only dell checking the product name in the driver!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Nothing top do with the original query ... But why oh why has MS decided to do this ? What I mean is why are xp, 2000, whatever drivers being distinguished between .... fundamentally aren't they the same ? The HAL is precisely the same in all the current windows operating systems or is 2003, magically different somehow ?

As I said ed, I think it is more to do with the driver writer - checking that the correct os is being used - this is usually to be applauded so that NT drivers don't get installed to 9x based machines and therefore screw them up entirely!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Ok ... get ya ... but why not label them with their HAL compatibility rather than os ? XP & 2000 & 2003? all use the same HAL, so any driver written for anyone works with the other ? (unless someone knows better ?) You shouldn't have to do what you did above ... it should carry the same 'Product name' based on hal - so 2000 hal compatible or whatever .... the o/s is irrelevant, we all know xp/2000 drivers are interchangeable or should be, if they aren't its usually because the original wasn't correct anyway ....

... perhaps I'm having my daily dose of 'imagined' utopia ? ....

except that some hardware needs different drivers for win 2k and xp, so therefore possibly for 2003 as well.
    eg, my scanner has separate win xp and win 2k drivers, which are not cross compatible.
    but if there was something that made the dirvers foward compatible with os-es that dont exist at time of release... something like using install on all oses except listed exclusions tag?
    "they're funny things, accidents. you never have them untill you're having them" - Winnie The Pooh

I have recently bought a DELL INSPIRON 8600 with Integrated BroadCom 440x NIC which doesn't work for Windows Server 2003.

Can anyone please help on find out the proper driver for this?

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by asifm
    I have recently bought a DELL INSPIRON 8600 with Integrated BroadCom 440x NIC which doesn't work for Windows Server 2003.

Can anyone please help on find out the proper driver for this?

Regards
    Welcome to Windrivers asifm

In future, please start you own thread as a network adapter driver request has nothing to do with scanners.

here are the broadcom drivers

You didn't mention which model, so make sure you get the right one.