Uk Parent question .... (Holidays in term time)

Thread: Uk Parent question .... (Holidays in term time)

Uk Parent question .... (Holidays in term time)

I want to know how much time my child can legally be off School with notice for a Holiday (during term time) ... I know 'take them in School Holidays!' ... not at twice the cost ... its either this way or no way ....

Anyway School is mumbling as I have created a mini mutiny, my daughter attends a very small school with only 12 in her year currently, there's six lots of parents all pals who want to go together, for some its the only way to get a real holiday as the cost savings this way are huge ... some of the participants though have already been on holiday during this school year ...

School says these parents will exceed the 'permissable' limits - 2 weeks .... I say I can't find anything that says there are any limits & its discretionary .... School takes umbridge & is threatening court & so on if anyone presses ahead ... Oh pants I only asked where the magic 2 week figure came from ....

So please help me to stop setting a bad example ! (Wot me?) & help me stop arguing with Teacher !

It's called unauthorised absence, not holiday 10 days is what the head can "authorise"

You can often get very good rates if you go out in the last week before school holidays start and come back during school holidays... compromise?

Found the legal basis you wanted - yer screwed If the school do not authorise the absence, you can then be taken to court for keeping your child from school for no good reason.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

... excuse me I'm having a 'thick' moment ! ... but where does it say 10 days (2weeks) ?

All I see is "attendance level of at least 90 percent in every school year " but since I don't know how many days that is ! That doesn't help .... but I suspect you may have 'deduced' 10 days as the missing 10 % ? That means they only go 20 weeks ? That can't be right ....

We are only missing 3 actual school days, Teachers seem to be having a long weekend - friday & following monday training days - so we thought have 9 days around that & only miss three days ... these kids are only Seven - is three days gonna make all that much difference ?

This is all a storm in a Teacup ... but we have a 'new' headmaster who I think is trying a tad too hard ...

Sorry thought you would follow the links through

Parents should not normally take pupils on holidays in term.
    Each request for holiday absence should be considered individually, taking account of: the age of the child; the time of year proposed for the trip; its nature and parental wishes; the overall attendance pattern of the pupil; the child`s stage of education and progress.
    If a school does not agree absence and the pupil goes on holiday, absence is unauthorised.
    If parents keep a child away for longer than was agreed, any extra time is recorded as unauthorised.
    Schools may delete from roll a pupil who fails to return within 10 school days of the agreed return date unless there is a good reason for the continued absence, such as illness.
    Schools should only, exceptionally, agree absence of more than 10 school days in a school year (and should not regard 10 days as the norm).

Taken from Annexe A from here

The law is mentioned in this article.. from the bbc - but being you I suppose you want to find the statute?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Talking If it hides in the annexe ...

Thanks Noo ... no I don't want the statute ... we don't have them do we? that's an American thing ... but, as per, I digress ....

Your quote provides me with hope .... I shall try the LEA, Mr Snot (no that's not his name but his attitude) seems very resolute on this ... he's busy improving his figures so his next ofstead report doesn't look so poor (he was the one who made it look poor - he can't teach !) ... muchos

The LEA is likely to be less than sympathetic.

As for statute - we have them. lots of them

1 a an enactment of a legislative body expressed in a formal document
    b this document
    2 a permanent rule made by a body or institution for the government of its internal affairs
    from collins....

Bills or Acts of make up our statutes....

I've heard of parents here in the states running up against similar problems.

two solutions
    1) Tell them you're moving and have her dis-enrolled. Then when you "Move back" have her re-enrolled!

2) offer to do home study while on vacation. Bring her subjects of study and homework along and have her bring all her homework back when you return and be ready to be tested on the material.
    If it's true that wherever you go, there you are: how come so many people look lost?