Nec DVD burner......Won't burn !

Thread: Nec DVD burner......Won't burn !

Angry Nec DVD burner......Won't burn !

I just bought and installed an 8X EXTERNAL USB NEC ND-2500A DVD-RW BURNER .

I am using NERO 6 Ultra edition.

It works fine until I get to burn stage........It then seems to start and gets to the stage of the log where it says it is starting burn process at 2x.........and progress bar goes green the whole way accross

But then it seems to just stay like that forever. I have to turn off Burner just to get it to quit process and eject DVD.

I used DVD X express to try to burn a dvd and it worked fine....other than the fact that it only burns the main movie.

Any clue why NERO won't funtion properly?
    Thanks in advance.......Greg

Hello Rice7 and Welcome to Windrivers!

First of all what version firmware is the NEC burner running? I noticed on some reviews today that there were major problems with 1.08 and under especially with cheap media.

Have you been to Nero and updated to the latest version?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Hello Rice7 and Welcome to Windrivers!

First of all what version firmware is the NEC burner running? I noticed on some reviews today that there were major problems with 1.08 and under especially with cheap media.

Have you been to Nero and updated to the latest version?

How do I determine the version of firmware it ir running?

I will go to Nero and look for updates.

I bought Fujifilm DVD-R from a store ...they don't even say the burn speed on them...... could they be that crappy that htey are the problem??????

That was one fast response........WOW!!!!

Heheh, Sunday and I have the choice of ironing or this... no brainer really. Not sure how you do it with usb.... if its XP, right click my computer, manage, removeable storage, libraries and somewhere in the properties it should be listed and the revision is in there. 9x should be in the properties for the burner in my computer (right click the device).
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Heheh, Sunday and I have the choice of ironing or this... no brainer really. Not sure how you do it with usb.... if its XP, right click my computer, manage, removeable storage, libraries and somewhere in the properties it should be listed and the revision is in there. 9x should be in the properties for the burner in my computer (right click the device).

If I did it right .....and I think I did........The version is 1.06........Is this a problem.....if so ,what do I do?

I did not understand this line you wrote:
    9x should be in the properties for the burner in my computer (right click the device.

What does 9x mean and where am I looking in the properties of the device?

I am running XP by the way.........I also went to NERO and I believe I have all the latest updates........There was only one newest update I did not have......InCD41510.

Any suggestions from here ............Should I try Better Media?? If so what do you feel may work ?

Thanks again.........Greg

OK, 9x means 95/98/ME... xp is different.

Try uninstalling INCD, packet writing can confuse the issue.

As far as I can tell there is no firmware upgrade for that particular model. Flashing with another model will render it useless.

Fuji media are on the list of approved media, but it can't hurt to try a different brand.

As soon as I sent my reply ...I realized what 9x was referring to........Sorry about that. I had a moment there.

Do I not need the InCd for burning DVD's? I really have no idea what it is anyway.

I amgoing to be getting DVD x full version tomorrow .......I will try that with this media first and then try new media and also try the uninstall of Incd.......ETC.,ETC.ETC,..............I hope something works.

Like I said before........it worked with this media with DVD X copy express but that is only for main movie so I am told.
    So with that said.......I guess I am getting close?
    Thanks .......Greg

INCD is packet writing, that is, it allows you to use a cdrw or dvdrw as a giant floppy drive, drag and drop files just like a floppy drive... but it installs virtual hardware to do it, sometimes this screws up.

Just a little update.......I used a DVD+R today from a friend (I was using the Fujifilm DVD-R)........it burned the disk like it never had a problem. Go Figure?

This burner is supposed to be dual format......The disk I used that worked did not even have any name or any info on front of it.....just a plain disk......only difference was it was +R.

Now I am really confused?

Still get no results from trying to burn with the other Fuji Disks when I tried again after the successful burn.

Was thinking of still trying DVD X Copy sortware with the Fuji disks......... Think this is worth a try ???? Or should I just keep trying other + media? Even though I supposedly bought a Dual format burner (is there any way to tell?)

I am so confused now!

Thanks...............Greg

here is the approved media list for that burner
    Fuji-r are listed. It's possible that they are a bad batch....

I would contact them - 1-800-632-4650

I will look into it........Thanks again for all your help !!!!!

I will let you know if some other Media solve all of my problems!!

Later...........Greg

dvd burn

This may or may not have any bearing on the problem. I have a TDK 0404N burner and several older dvd burner programs. Several of these assume that the burner will run at maximum speed regardless of the installed media. This, of course, produces a $2.00 coaster. All of these programs work fine with TDK DVDR+ 4X disks. 4X is the maximum speed of the burner.
    Roxio DVD builder will examine the media and set the burner for the apropriate media. Never have a coaster with DVD builder, though there are some things I dislike about it.
    Jim

I just wanted to tell you and any other folks that replied, I bought new media..... (Hypermedia 2x DVD+R)................and they worked.........Imagine that!!!!!

I still don't know though if the problem was the -R DVD's,the fact that they may have just been a bad batch or they wer Fujifilm and my burner just doesn't like them.

I will try minus again in the future.......but for now I am pleased with these disks

Thank you again to all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....Greg

Quote Originally Posted by rice7
    Just a little update.......I used a DVD+R today from a friend (I was using the Fujifilm DVD-R)........it burned the disk like it never had a problem. Go Figure?

This burner is supposed to be dual format......The disk I used that worked did not even have any name or any info on front of it.....just a plain disk......only difference was it was +R.

Now I am really confused?

Still get no results from trying to burn with the other Fuji Disks when I tried again after the successful burn.

Was thinking of still trying DVD X Copy sortware with the Fuji disks......... Think this is worth a try ???? Or should I just keep trying other + media? Even though I supposedly bought a Dual format burner (is there any way to tell?)

I am so confused now!

Thanks...............Greg
    I found out the hard way there are only a few brands of dvd-r, and dvd+r, that are any good. I use optorite, or Maxell.

I also bought DVD X copy. I think it is horible try DVD Shrink first it is free, and works great. I don't even use DVD X copy any more.

I found the following sights very useful, for video, and DVD burning.

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/ You can find links to DVD Shrink and other useful programs under tools on this sight. They also have lots of guides writtten by users.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/ This guys sight has alot of great info on video capture. Also read his section on media for sure! It's toward the bottom on the left.
    "Really???
    What Fun Is A Computer That Works?!?"

PLEASE! Do not mistake my laziness for lack of concern!

Proud member of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

I had the same problem with the NEC 2500A INTERNAL burner. I turned off DMA (using VIADMAtool) and it worked fine. You might have to do this in Control Panel/System. I also don't know if this applies to USB drives.