Destroy all Computers!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Destroy all Computers!

In one of the really, really Blue states.

Destroy all Computers!

Senator Orrin Hatch, a Utah Republican, told a committee's witnesses
    that damaging a downloader's computer "may be the only way you can teach somebody about copyrights,"
    My thought is why stop there? How about puncturing the eardrums of anyone who has listened to a pirated MP3? Lets cut off the hands of shoplifters. The p... of adulterers.
    Did I wake up today in the former Soviet Union? Maybe I am in Nazi Germany?
    Oh wait, I am in George Bush's America.
    Last edited by techs; June 21st, 2003 at 02:43 PM.

How are Hatch's comment's Bush's fault? I think I missed that one.

Originally posted by meatwad
    How are Hatch's comment's Bush's fault? I think I missed that one.
    It is because he is the leader of the clones. No one has a thought of their own without clearing it with the all powerful king of the USA. No one! [/sarcasm]

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    FSCK HIM! And that FSCK bag senator Fritz Hollings, I hope they catch SARS
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Re: Destroy all Computers!

Originally posted by techs
    How about punturing the eardrums of anyone who has listened to a pirated MP3? Lets cut off the hands of shoplifters. The p... of adulterers.
    And how about we smash the tv and remove the eyes of people who pirate cable or remove the feet of the people who speed?

These politicians need to realise that the saying goes "Land of the proud home of the brave" Not Land of the proud home of the SLAVE"
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where
    And of course, as the USA makes everyone's laws, they'll also feel free to invade any computer on the planet they want to.
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up

Registered User Rifleman @ Layman's PC's Avatar
    Why can't people all get along, and ignore what idiot's have to say. And everyone just keep they're political view between themselves and the ballotbox. I think it's very funny that 80% of Americans feel they have reason to complain when only about 35% of the population goes out and votes.
    Personally, I think there should be a task force of hackers, paid by the government to locate people with warez and illegal MP3s, and I think they should be charged with larceny/ grand larceny and serve the same amount of time as any other crook. Here in WV Grand Larceny (over $500) carries a sentence of no less than 5 years prison.
    It is stealing, and it is wrong. It drives the cost up for honest people.
    If I was the president, I'd bring the gallows back and hang all the pirates.
    Those who do not know, are lost...

If I was the president, I'd bring the gallows back and hang all the pirates.
    Fair enough. As long as lying to the American people qualifies. I would pay real money to see lying politicians swing.

Re: Re: Destroy all Computers!

Originally posted by Radical Dreamer
    These politicians need to realise that the saying goes "Land of the proud home of the brave" Not Land of the proud home of the SLAVE"
    Wasn't that land of the free?
    The Artisan formerly known as A+Tech.

Imagine if the company you work for decided to allow people to steal it's products and decided to pay for it by cutting your salary. That is what is happening with all the intellectual property (music, software, dvd, etc) theft that is currently going on. The distributors and retailers of these CDs and DVDs are going to make a profit no matter what, even if it means shorting the artists or the developers.

The concept of property rights is the foundation of a modern capitalism economy. It is so important that it is a major area of Constitutional Law in the US. If a person is not allowed the right to compensation for the sale of their property, then their rights to that property have been stripped. THAT is what the former Soviet Union and Nazi Germany were all about.

Another factor to consider is that this issue may be resolved either through the legislative process or through the courts, but it WILL be resolved. As we have already seen, these types of lawsuits can be very messy and are often used only as a soapbox by the parties involved. In order the prevent the clogging of our court system by numerous lawsuits, Congress is attempting to legislate a mechanism to prevent intellectual property theft from occurring. This proposal would not be a violation of anyone's rights, because the right to steal intellectual property does not exist!
    L

Welcome to four more years of the most dangerous presidency in history.

Originally posted by Outcoded
    And of course, as the USA makes everyone's laws, they'll also feel free to invade any computer on the planet they want to.
    Well somebody has too to wear the pants. Lord knows it will never be France.

Hey that rhymes.....hmmm.....
    L

Welcome to four more years of the most dangerous presidency in history.

Registered User Rifleman @ Layman's PC's Avatar
    KINGofBLEH.....

I agree 200%....
    Those who do not know, are lost...

The point is Senator Hatch is advocating the remote disabling of computers that "appear" to be downloading copyrighted material. No trial just "appearance". I am not saying it is right to d/l copyrighted material. I am arguing that the mindset of "Guilty until proven innocent" seems to be the new American way. This goes hand in hand with the governments "right" to imprision me indefinitely, deny me the right to counsel, deny me contact with family, deny that I am even being held! What I am reading here are opinions that if I am guilty I deserve to be punished. I am not contesting that. It is the "process" (or rather the lack of it) that has now become the de facto law of the land. Thomas Jefferson must be turning over in his grave tight now.

Re: Re: Re: Destroy all Computers!

Originally posted by A+Tech
    Wasn't that land of the free?
    maybe, but thats what happens when you drink and type

to make this story even more fun...

the honerable senator's website was running some software illeagally....
    http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=0...tid=185&tid=99

DOAH!
    i love peta...and sars...
    and bin laden....and n. korea....and china...and p2p...spyware...