Can u guys help me out with backup?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can u guys help me out with backup?

Can u guys help me out with backup?

Ok i think i asked this before but never had time to go trought it. I want to reformat my HD . I have had the computer for about 2 yrs and it is running slow. It shouldnt be this slow. Now my only question to you guys is how can i back up all my programs so what when i do the fresh new restart i can have all my programs back ? and also .. will i lose my emails i have saved in outlook ? or is there a file i can save to save the information ?

thanks guys

Re: Can u guys help me out with backup?

Originally posted by Talonboy
    Ok i think i asked this before but never had time to go trought it. I want to reformat my HD . I have had the computer for about 2 yrs and it is running slow. It shouldnt be this slow. Now my only question to you guys is how can i back up all my programs so what when i do the fresh new restart i can have all my programs back ? and also .. will i lose my emails i have saved in outlook ? or is there a file i can save to save the information ?

thanks guys
    Right the point of formatting and starting again for you is to clear out the rubbish. This can only be achieved with a clean install, therefore you will not be able to back up your programs. The data that you created with the programs is another matter, and I would simply burn the files you have created to a cd.

Bookmarks and favourites can be exported to a file and backed up that way - Outlook can be backed up by copying the .pst file(s) or if you mean outlook express then do a search for *.dbx and copy the entire folder in which you find those files to a cd. You can then reimport after you have formatted and put the os back on.

You can have all your programs back as long as you have the installation files for them or the original cds so that they can be reinstalled.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

The XP CD-ROM contains a files & settings transfer utility. If you run this to save on a separate partition or disk or a temporary hard disk connected just for this purpose, then format / reinstall XP. Following install running the wizard will restore all your documents / mail / favourites etc.

Or burn all your docs to CD as Noo suggested...

If you use Outlook Express,

Your address book is located in your personal area at:
    <your login name>\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book.

Your mail is located at:
    <your login name>\Local Settings\Identities\<your identity number>\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Your favourires are in:
    <your login name>\Favourites.

If you burn these to the CD as well you'll be able to re-import these as well.

Good Luck

John

Now where did I leave my Lump Hammer?

"I thought I was wrong once" - "But I was wrong"

kool. Im going to go through my files today. I have a lot of downloaded programs too which sucks haha cause i dont know if i have the exe's. Oh well . spring cleaning here i come

hmmmmm searching for *.dbx or *.pst doesnt bring anything up .

got it Atodini thanks !

Do you use outlook or outlook express?

In outlook express you can see the store folder in tools, options, maintenance...

In outlook you can see the folders in tools, options mail setup, data.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

got it .. that was weird it wasnt showing Local settings but when i went to the store folder in outlook express and just copied and pasted that link to address bar and search it went right to it... thanks again

ok guys i did the format now setting up all my settings. Cable modem first but the problem i am getting is that for some reason It doesnt rec my Ethernet controller ? How can i install this ? The eithernet port is attached to the motherboard . It came like that from manf. I tried loading the org CD in and searching it but i cant find it. What else could i try ?BTW im on a diffferent computer

sorry things that i have tried. I have disabled the driver then enabled it... no good. I then tried to uninstall the driver and reboot . The computer said new hardware blah blah then it tried searchign aging with no luck.

Have you power cycled the modem? That is turned it off for 1 minute and powered it back up again?

well i did finally figure that one out. The last thing i am trying to do is import my outlook express message. When i goto file/import it was from what program do i want to import them ? well im not importing from another program but yet the dbx file.

import from outlook 5.... yes I know
    then on the next screen click the radio button at the bottom... import from store directory...

haha u da man noo. I am fully back in the swing of things after my format. thanks man

**snicker**....man
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!