Asus A7V8X-X -- Via Integrated NIC and Novell 3.12
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Asus A7V8X-X -- Via Integrated NIC and Novell 3.12

Asus A7V8X-X -- Via Integrated NIC and Novell 3.12

Hi.

Problem -- Asus A7V8X-X -- Integrated Via NIC does not work with Novell client and Novell 3.12 in Windows 2000 or XP Pro.

Frame type is correct.

Tried different drivers.

Tried different BIOS flashes.

Tried both MS Novell client and Novell Novell client.

The system can see the server but can't authenticate.

3Com, Intel, and D-Link NICs all work perfectly.

Via NIC with Novell client works properly with Novell 4.11.

Must be some driver bug which affects interaction with the Novell bindery in 3.12. NDIS works OK for 4.11.

Any ideas?

'Integrated Via NIC' - what makes you think they made it ?

Asus A7V8X-X
    The A7V8X with Broadcom® Gigabit LAN, delivers transfer speeds up to 10 times faster than conventional 10/100 Ethernet
    ... so that'd be these ? Broadcom .... I'd ask them !

Do we really want a gigabit connection ? If not, for the money, I wouldn't be chasing answers I'd be slapping in any old 10/100 card that worked !!!

Oh edit !!

This is in the wrong forum .... its an nic issue !
    Last edited by confus-ed; July 17th, 2003 at 05:01 AM.

moot point confus-ed - it's onboard...
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Originally posted by NooNoo
    moot point confus-ed - it's onboard...
    He-he-he ... ... What's moot ? ... No I know what moot means ... but which bit ... I know its integrated (onboard) but its not VIA it might be on a VIA chipset board but it doesn't mean they support it or made it ... pressumably you mean where the post is ?

... & if that's not a confus-ed answer I don't know what is !

Before our migration, we had a problem with the novell client and name resolution. We could login and authenticate to the ip address, but sometimes login would timeout with just the server name in there. Yes we could see the server too. Just a thought.

Originally posted by scott
    Before our migration, we had a problem with the novell client and name resolution. We could login and authenticate to the ip address, but sometimes login would timeout with just the server name in there. Yes we could see the server too. Just a thought.
    I don't think its this ... he tried another card & that worked ?! Just this 'VIA one' won't who ever is responsible for the flipping drivers ....

It is a Via NIC in as much as an SMC NIC is an SMC NIC, etc.

It is based upon a Realtek chip, but the MAC coding indicates VIA manufacture.

OK?

The board is not the A7V8X. It is the A7V8X-X, quite a different beast.
    Last edited by houseisland; July 17th, 2003 at 11:29 AM.

What driver are you using for it?
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Drivers:

XP Pro -- native drivers, Asus CD release drivers, Asus web site update drivers, VIA reference drivers

Windows 2000 -- Asus CD release drivers, Asus web site update drivers, VIA reference drivers

I can't give you more details than this because I am not at work today.

Realtek drivers that match the chip won't install, probably because of the VIA MAC coding.
    Last edited by houseisland; July 17th, 2003 at 11:41 AM.

It is not an isolated instance of one motherboard malfunctioning. I have a whole stack of them with exactly the same problem.

Asus came up with new Beta? drivers. They don't work, though. Back to square one.

Just disable the on-board NIC and throw in a 3COM 3C905C. With the amount of time you've spent on this problem, you could have probably paid for three new NIC's by now.

Originally posted by MacGyver
    .... With the amount of time you've spent on this problem, you could have probably paid for three new NIC's by now.
    That was suggestion no. 1, by yours truely ... he has a 'stack' of these & pressumably wants an answer for the whole pile !

But I think I'd be mailing asus technical support for some detailed help ... as this seems very specific .... why it'll work for one novell client & not another is beyond me !

The tale grows interesting......

I will wait until its conclusion before telling all......

More later..

OK... the story.

I try out Asus's new tech support site. I get a case number. I call Tech Support, give them my case number, and go through the problem in person with a tech support rep (after waiting indefinitely in a holding queue). He says he will call me back.

No one calls.

For about three weeks, this process is repeated 3 or 4 times a week. The only thing that happens is that the rating of the case got bumped up. And no one ever calls back despite the most sincere promises otherwise.

There are e-mail updates of my case each time I call, these merely telling me what I told them.

Finally out of the blue, I get an e-mail which tell me exactly what I told them in the beginning, that the drivers don't work with Novell 3.12.

I call again. I ask to talk to a supervisor. We talk. He suggests spoofing the MAC address for the NICs and trying drivers for the same chipset from other manufacturers whose NICs do work with 3.12. He also suggests that it might be possible to exchange the boards for another socket A model.

The spoofing doesn't work.

I call back to the supervisor's number. I leave a message. Nobody calls back.

I call back again. This time I am re-routed to an RMA rep who doesn't have a clue what to do with me.

She passes me on to a Suit-Level person in Sales. This dude is extremely hard-assed and is very cagey. In a polite but thinly veiled manner, he tells me to F.O. and die. The A7VX8-X is not certified for any version of Novell, and I should have known this had I checked the compatibility matrix, the one cleverly hidden in the bowels of Asus's web site, so cleverly hidden that I still haven't found it. Never mind that product page said that Netware was supported -- n.b. the page no longer says this. If I don't like the boards, I should return them to the vendor. It's not Asus's problem. He also wanted the name of the tech support supervisor who suggested that the boards might be exchanged so that he could "straighten him out."

I guess when you are big, you don't have to care.

I don't know, but I kind of liked Asus's old tech support better. You just sent off an e-mail and no one ever replied. It was a lot cheaper and more efficient than their new tech support where you must make expensive long distance phone calls, use up a lot of your time in holding queues, and be lied to, all to get to the same place that you got with the old tech support system -- "You got a problem, and we're not going to do anything about it."