Remote Desktop Problem
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Remote Desktop Problem

Remote Desktop Problem

Using Magic Remote Desktop 32 3.0 by Network Associates.
    On a client machine that is being remote-controlled and OS is Windows XP Pro, if the user is at the login screen all you get on the other end is a black screen if you are remote controlling them. This is starting to get annoying as someone usually has to go to the location. Once the user's desktop loads you can remote controll them without a problem.
    This happens on every machine with Windows XP Pro.
    Is this just a security feature of Windows XP?
    Any ideas?
    Thanks

Re: Remote Desktop Problem

Originally posted by scott
    Using Magic Remote Desktop 32 3.0 by Network Associates.
    On a client machine that is being remote-controlled and OS is Windows XP Pro, if the user is at the login screen all you get on the other end is a black screen if you are remote controlling them. This is starting to get annoying as someone usually has to go to the location. Once the user's desktop loads you can remote controll them without a problem.
    This happens on every machine with Windows XP Pro.
    Is this just a security feature of Windows XP?
    Any ideas?
    Thanks
    why not use the built in remote desktop that XP supports?
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

I'm honestly not sure but it sure sounds like it. It sounds like the app initializes but is not fully loaded until the user logs on. Look and see if the app is loaded if a new user logs on - it may have been installed for that 1 user and the machine will not run it until they log on. Just guessing though.

I have an FYI. XP Pro comes with a "remote desktop" tool that works well and is free and allows others to remote into the machine to work on it.

Here we have remote desktop 32 on all the clients. On the NT boxes it works fine with no flaws. I already use the XP built in Remote Desktop Tool to remote control some devices, should have posted that in previous post. My supervisor just wanted me to research to see if it was a problem with our remote desktop software or something to do with Windows XP. They would rather just use one remote desktop tool for everything. I'll probably be emailing their tech support later.
    Thanks for the ideas.

I wouldn't use the built in remote desktop of XP. It's nice if you're a single user accessing your machine from multiple sites or, if you need to remotely administer servers or workstations and need NO user input but, if your working helpdesk and your customer to both see what your doing and contribute to your session (enter data, credentials, etc or just move the mouse) then XP remote client isn't for you. You can't shadow an XP session.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

remote desktop allows for interaction and/or just watching. I've used the "take over" feature on numerous occasions trying to help people out.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    WD Black 750 gig
    Lots of fans

Matridom is right, it does support shadowing..just in another form.

The host PC can request a connection to the connecting PC and it allows both users to see the same thing, and either one can manipulate the machine at the same time.

Its a built in feature of remote desktop...they just dont call it that and it uses a different shortcut. Score one for Bill making things easier.
    So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
    Racing around to come up behind you again.
    The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
    Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

Originally posted by Matridom
    remote desktop allows for interaction and/or just watching. I've used the "take over" feature on numerous occasions trying to help people out.
    Not in XP.

Yup, in XP.....I do it here all the time.....
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

Originally posted by DocPC
    Yup, in XP.....I do it here all the time.....
    Your right. It's called remote assistance and not remote desktop but it's almost the same thing and it's probably a perfect fit for remote administration. ..and it's free... if you can really call anything free in a $120 OS.

Originally posted by silencio
    Your right. It's called remote assistance and not remote desktop but it's almost the same thing and it's probably a perfect fit for remote administration. ..and it's free... if you can really call anything free in a $120 OS.
    Remote assitance, remote desktop.. it's all part of the same thing.

Terminal Server.

All the configurations for it are in the RDP protocol.. even the remote control, and they have many options.. you can see as such here..

XP is the first OS that supports this as a desktop client, all server OS's (going back to nt4.0 and beyond) have had terminal server included, and the "remote desktop" is simply Terminal Server running in remote Administrative mode.
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    WD Black 750 gig
    Lots of fans

Originally posted by scott
    Here we have remote desktop 32 on all the clients. On the NT boxes it works fine with no flaws. I already use the XP built in Remote Desktop Tool to remote control some devices, should have posted that in previous post. My supervisor just wanted me to research to see if it was a problem with our remote desktop software or something to do with Windows XP. They would rather just use one remote desktop tool for everything. I'll probably be emailing their tech support later.
    Thanks for the ideas.
    Back to your issue...

Don't forget to make sure the built in firewall is turned off. Check the video card drivers and try updating one machine and see if that helps.

Originally posted by Matridom
    Remote assitance, remote desktop.. it's all part of the same thing.

Terminal Server.

All the configurations for it are in the RDP protocol.. even the remote control, and they have many options.. you can see as such here..

XP is the first OS that supports this as a desktop client, all server OS's (going back to nt4.0 and beyond) have had terminal server included, and the "remote desktop" is simply Terminal Server running in remote Administrative mode.
    I see what you mean but I don't have a terminal services snapin available on my xp machine.

Originally posted by silencio
    I see what you mean but I don't have a terminal services snapin available on my xp machine.
    No, they hide that well. That screen shot was from windows 2003, wich i might add calls it the same thing. Even in 2k3, i had to really dig to find the shortcuts for the old MSC's that i'm accustomed to from before.

However, if you take the terminal services client from 2k3 or 2k server, and use it, you can easily connect to an xp box running remote desktop. You can see this here..

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...s/default.mspx

Go to downloads..
    Remote Desktop Connection for Windows Server 2003 Software Download

This software package will install the client portion of Remote Desktop on a computer running any of the following operating systems: Windows 95, Windows 98 and 98 Second Edition, Windows Me, Windows NTŪ 4.0, Windows 2000 or Windows XP. This software allows other Windows platforms to remotely connect to a computer running Windows XP Professional or Windows Server 2003.

Notice how all the remote desktop stuff is located in the terminal server section of the microsoft page. Also note that they state XP and 2k3, but you can also use this to connect to any 2k server that is running terminal services.
    Last edited by Matridom; July 25th, 2003 at 07:41 PM.
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    WD Black 750 gig
    Lots of fans

I would suggest using the Remote administrator tool in XP. It comes in handy. Plus it is free

http://www.techmonkeyuniverse.com/tips/tip004.htm