Dell Precision 360

Thread: Dell Precision 360

Question Dell Precision 360

Not yet a member of WinDrivers, but considering it if it will help with my current issue... I have a Dell Precision 360, came with XP Pro. I need to do software testing on multiple platforms. Tried to install 98, but multiple motherboard items are not recognised, and Dell states, very helpfully the text below.

Anyone care to let me know if there is ANY chance of there being drivers to complete this installation?

Response from Dell:

Unfortunately, due to licensing agreements Dell only supports
    the operating system that the computer is sold with. This computer
    was sold with Windows XP. If you need support on any version
    of Windows that is not XP, you will need to contact Microsoft.
    Drivers are the only exception to this. Dell Technical Support
    will help you to locate and install drivers if they exist.

** Windows 98 and ME **

Unfortunately, no Windows 98 or ME system drivers exist for this
    system. :bor: The only driver available for this system in Windows
    98 and ME is a driver for a Dell printer. The chipset driver
    is essential for the operating system to run on this system.
    Since there is no chipset driver for either of these OS's, I
    don't recommend to try to run either of them. Obviously, you
    can install the OS on it, but you will have problems installing
    anything else. Without the chipset driver, the OS will not be
    able to fully utilize the system bus. So, you will not be able
    to resolve the conflicts that you mentioned.

Welcome to Windrivers!

You are a now a member of the free forums. The Windrivers Advantage side is a service to those who do not have the time to hunt down stuff. Think of it as a very useful magazine.

The forums on the other hand are staffed by volunteers and anyone replying has also asked questions themselves. Feel free to answer questions or ask more as you wish.

Now to the Dell - there is always more ways than one to skin a dell.... Here are the standard downloads This tells us a good deal - that it's an intel chipset, an adi onboard sound and either ati or nvidia graphics

ALL of these manufacturers supply 98/me drivers - its just a case of tracking down the correct ones.

So with the dell 360 on line, the quick way is to go to www.belarc.com and download and run the free personal audit and post the results (minus the licences numbers) here.

Dell do not give you these options as they are unsupported by Dell and could break licencing agreements with Microsoft. However if you own the other operating systems and they are not already applied to another machine, then there is nothing to stop you setting up a dual boot or changing the operating system except that it will void the warranty with Dell if one is still in operation.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."