New CPUs and OSes???

Thread: New CPUs and OSes???

New CPUs and OSes???

Anyone heard anything new about the next generation of 64bit CPUs and supporting OSes coming out soon?

AMD released their last Barton at 3.2ghz (so they say) so their new CPU must be comming soon. And, with a new AMD chip coming that means Intel will be right behind them. At first there was talk of Intel not supporting older 32 or 16 bit programs and running emulators to make them work and AMD was going to offer backwards compatibility and blah, blah, blah. Also heard MS Longhorn was to be the next OS that would have full 64 bit support but haven’t heard dookie about that either.

Anyone heard anything new?

In case you missed this on windrivers home page:

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103_2-5060856.html

But other than that no....
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

I haven't bought a new PC since 1997. Does this mean that I still should wait before dropping a grand on the crap that is out now, or drop 3 grand on one of these next year?

Re: New CPUs and OSes???

Originally posted by ilovetheusers
    Anyone heard anything new about the next generation of 64bit CPUs and supporting OSes coming out soon?
    Errr umm next generation ? ... they are here now ! AMD Opteron ... as far as I know there's versions of xp & server 2003 to support it (somebody is running them on something anyway! Prices were anounced on the first of this month)...

I don't go to the WD home page anymore, gonna look that article up.

I saw the Opteron and it says it's 64bit but reading in depth about it makes it look like it's really just AMD's version of a Xeon and not what's coming down the pipe.

Mmmm yup ... there's all that 1,2,4 & 8 way business I have yet to fathom ! ... I think the first ones are 'pretend' (very technical explanation that ! ), the ones on sale now are 1 & 2 way ... with 4 & 8 way to come which are 'real' ... but this is only so much 'surmise' I've seen touted around the web ...

AMD Roadmap
    AMD Comparisons (for what it's worth).

Intel Roadmap
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Originally posted by a d e p t
    AMD Roadmap
    AMD Comparisons (for what it's worth).

Intel Roadmap
    Forgot the next AMD for home use is clawhammer. Thanks adept.

There's a million articles now on google that I have the correct search word. http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1591
    Last edited by ilovetheusers; August 9th, 2003 at 02:06 AM.

So Opteron & claw hammer just the same thing ?! ...yes !

'Opteron' /'sledge hammer' ... both the same thing just different code names ...

BTW '1,2, 4 & 8 way business' is just how many multiple processors you can 'match' on any particular board (so just like you need an athlon mp to run dual amd cpu's) ... so that explains why only 1's & 2's are currently available ... its all they've manipulated the chipsets so far to run concurrently .. so the impression I got earlier was 'pants' ! ... the 'upcomming' 4 & 8 way beasties are waiting in the wings for motherboards to accomodate them.

Then in the pipeline we see socket 940 looming with 64 bit memory channel support (opteron has only 48 bit despite being called a '64 bit' processor ?!?) & it'll be time to change again ... don't you just love technology !