explorer crash at startup
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: explorer crash at startup

explorer crash at startup

pc won't boot into normal or safemode; either mode gives me "Error loading Explorer.exe . You must re-install windows." I tried scanreg/restore to an earlier date- same problem. I tried to re-install me and twice it quit copying files at about 55% and gave me a suwin error and shut down. I could reformat because this pc has very few programs on it, mainly quickbooks, but I want to avoid it if it's posible. Ideas? it is a dell 600mhz dell p3 with 256meg and a 30 gig hd.
    "You've been livin' on the razor's edge, since you began to shave...
    Make sure you live, you're a long time dead, cradle to the grave"-Motorhead

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - Q299296

Error Message: Error Loading Explorer.exe You Must Reinstall Windows
    The information in this article applies to:
    Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
    Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
    Microsoft Windows 98
    SYMPTOMS
    When you attempt to start your computer, you may receive the following error message:

Error loading Explorer.exe.

You must reinstall Windows
    When you click OK, you may receive the following error message:

A required .DLL file, C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSVCRT.DLL, was not found.
    You may then be unable to start Windows.
    CAUSE
    This issue can occur if the Msvcrt.dll Windows system file is missing or damaged.
    RESOLUTION
    To resolve this issue, replace the Msvcrt.dll file with a new copy from the Windows CD. To do this, use the appropriate steps.
    Windows Millennium Edition
    Restart the computer using a Windows Millennium (Me) Startup disk.
    At the Windows Me Startup menu, type 2, and then press ENTER.
    Record the drive letter that is assigned to the CD or DVD-ROM drive.
    Type ext, and then press ENTER to start the Microsoft Extract Command Line Helper starts.
    At the Please enter the path to the Windows CAB files (a: prompt, type drive:\win9x (where drive is the drive letter that you recorded in step 3), and then press ENTER.

Note: Depending on your installation of Windows, the Windows .cab files may also be stored in the \Windows\Options\Install folder.
    At the Please enter the name(s) of the file(s) you want to extract: prompt, type msvcrt.dll, and then press ENTER.
    At the Please enter the path to extract to ('Enter' for current directory): prompt, type c:\windows\system, and then press ENTER.
    At the Is this okay? (y/n) prompt, type y, and then press ENTER to extract the file to the specified directory.
    Remove the Windows Me Startup disk, and then restart the computer.
    Windows 98
    Restart the computer with the Windows 98 Startup disk.
    At the Microsoft Windows 98 Startup menu, type 1, and then press ENTER.
    Record the drive letter assigned to the CD or DVD-ROM drive.
    Type ext, and then press ENTER to start the Microsoft Extract Command Line Helper.
    At the Please enter the path to the Windows CAB files (a: prompt, type drive:\win98 (where drive is the drive letter that you recorded in step 3), and then press ENTER.

Note: Depending on your installation of Windows, the Windows .cab files may also be stored in the \Windows\Options\Cabs folder.
    At the Please enter the name(s) of the file(s) you want to extract: prompt, type msvcrt.dll, and then press ENTER.
    At the Please enter the path to extract to ('Enter' for current directory): prompt, type c:\windows\system, and then press ENTER.
    At the Is this okay? (y/n) prompt, type y, and then press ENTER to extract the file to the specified directory.
    Remove the Windows 98 Startup disk, and then restart the computer.
    MORE INFORMATION
    For additional information about extracting Windows files, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    Q129605 How to Extract Original Compressed Windows Files
    First Published: May 16 2001 10:36AM
    Keywords: kberrmsg win98 win98se kbWinME kbprb

Send Print Help
    Last reviewed Tuesday, August 06, 2002

© 2002 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Terms of use Privacy statement Accessibility

Thanks for the reply. I searched the ms knowledge base but didn't see this article, everything but what I was looking for. I'll let you know if this fixes the problem.

Angry

Unfortunatley that didn't work. It extracts the msvcrt.dll file ok but gives me the same error when I resart.. I tried to re-install win me again and it gets about 69% through and gives me a suwin error. Guess it's time to reformat and try to get the customer to upgrade to a real operating system.

Quote Originally Posted by cabal
    Unfortunatley that didn't work. It extracts the msvcrt.dll file ok but gives me the same error when I resart.. I tried to re-install win me again and it gets about 69% through and gives me a suwin error. Guess it's time to reformat and try to get the customer to upgrade to a real operating system.
    But wait.
    Have you looked up the Suwin error number?
    Also, you can get that error message when there is not enough space on the drive:
    MSKB Article ID: Q193903
    (refers to win98 though).
    As a last resort, boot to a dos prompt and just deltree c:\iwndows.
    You will at least save the data.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    But wait.
    Have you looked up the Suwin error number?
    Also, you can get that error message when there is not enough space on the drive:
    MSKB Article ID: Q193903
    (refers to win98 though).
    As a last resort, boot to a dos prompt and just deltree c:\iwndows.
    You will at least save the data.

Yes, Whats the suwin error, they usually tell you much more!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Yes, Whats the suwin error, they usually tell you much more!
    It is sad Noo, but we live in a tech world now that almost always cops out to the old c:\format c:
    There is a tech school over here which actually teaches this as the "best" solution.
    Geez, I think in ten years I can count the number of times I had to resort to that on two hands. And one of those hands were chosen by the customer to same money.

I just threaten the computer outloud with a format, and suddenly it starts behaving
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

It is sad Noo, but we live in a tech world now that almost always cops out to the old c:\format c:
    There is a tech school over here which actually teaches this as the "best" solution.
    Geez, I think in ten years I can count the number of times I had to resort to that on two hands. And one of those hands were chosen by the customer to same money.
    Careful, you might break your arm patting youself on the back that hard...

Quote Originally Posted by Ya_know
    Careful, you might break your arm patting youself on the back that hard...

You are getting tiresome.

Only because you showed him which buttons to push.......Ya_can put him on ignore if you choose......I don't because I like to see him make an @ss out of himself.....
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

Quote Originally Posted by DocPC
    Only because you showed him which buttons to push.......Ya_can put him on ignore if you choose......I don't because I like to see him make an @ss out of himself.....

I won't either, sometimes he surprises me.
    [I]Mommy (NooNoo), he's starting trouble again.

When you guys have finished sorting out your credentials, perhaps we can get on with this thread?

We're just loitering and passing time waiting for the error message.......
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

Get over yourself. You have an elitist, almost snobby approach to constructive criticism. The next time I tell you not to break your arm you will listen!

If the dude is on a time crunch, he is ok to start over if he can’t find a resolving approach otherwise. Fact is you didn’t have an answer he could use, and things didn’t work out in time. He also isn’t one of your employees, so get off of his back.