Backup everything to tape drive
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Backup everything to tape drive

Question Backup everything to tape drive

everytime i backup a server to a dds4 tape, i get a lot of files skipped:
    how do i avoid these and backup everything entirely without the files being skipped? is this the norm?

thanks

Backup started on 9/11/2003 at 10:47 AM.
    Warning: The file \compaq\survey\Survey.OUT in use - skipped.
    Warning: The file \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr0.dat in use - skipped.
    Warning: The file \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr1.dat in use - skipped.
    Warning: The file \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\catalogs51FD001308.FDD in use - skipped.
    Warning: The file \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\catalogs51SM001308.SM in use - skipped.
    Warning: The file \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\catalogs51\QTC_TEMP.001 in use - skipped.
    Warning: The file \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\catalogs51\QTC_TEMP.002 in use - skipped.
    Warning: The file \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\catalogs51\QTC_TEMP.003 in use - skipped.
    Warning: The file \Documents and Settings\Default User\Cookies\index.dat in use - skipped.
    Warning: The file \Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat in use - skipped.
    Warning: The file \Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat in use - skipped.
    Warning: The file \WINNT\security\logs\scepol.log in use - skipped.
    Warning: The file \WINNT\system32\Perflib_Perfdata_534.dat in use - skipped.
    Warning: The file \WINNT\system32\Perflib_Perfdata_590.dat in use - skipped.
    Warning: The file \WINNT\system32\Perflib_Perfdata_698.dat in use - skipped.
    Warning: The file \WINNT\system32\dns\dns.log in use - skipped.
    Warning: The file \WINNT\system32\ias\dnary.ldb in use - skipped.
    Warning: The file \WINNT\system32\ias\ias.ldb in use - skipped.
    Warning: The file \WINNT\system32\ias\ias.mdb in use - skipped.
    Warning: The file \WINNT\Temp\JETF5B0.tmp in use - skipped.
    Warning: The file \WINNT\Temp\JETFCF4.tmp in use - skipped.
    Backup completed on 9/11/2003 at 10:56 AM.
    what the heck?

What software are you using for backup? Also what brand is the tape drive? There might be a better utility other than the built in windows backup utility (it looks like that is what is running but I don't know so that's why I asked)
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

Lightbulb

If you want EVERYTHING - the only way (IMHO) is low level.
    Ghost, DiskImage and Others will do the trick.
    And yes Ghost do support most of the Tape Drives.

Just be sure that most of the files that I see on the list are unneeded.

Cheers,
    Gabriel
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel
    Just be sure that most of the files that I see on the list are unneeded.
    agreed
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

yes, we're just using ms backup,

so u mean there is no trick to backup everything on ms backup?

in ghost, which version is better, and also, dos or windows based? m not so familiar with this, can you give me instructions on this?

and what do you mean by:"Just be sure that most of the files that I see on the list are unneeded." you mean ghost will also not include this?

thanks
    what the heck?

I see a bunch of database type files - one an access one. Someone simply has the files open when you are backing up. You are backing up during the day time, try dumping people off the server, or back up when they all go home!

Ghost will get all the files because ghost runs in dos.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    I see a bunch of database type files - one an access one. Someone simply has the files open when you are backing up. You are backing up during the day time, try dumping people off the server, or back up when they all go home!

Ghost will get all the files because ghost runs in dos.
    Meaning that you can not run ghost while users are on the system.
    What I would do would be to make ONE ghost backup of the entire system (if you are really set on total backups then maybe once a month or whatever). Then use msbackup to backup only files that were created by users daily. Just my 0.02. Cheers.

There's nothing there that windows won't recreate. The purpose of a system state backup is to grab the important stuff that's open and required to run. The stuff there is the unimportant stuff so they ignore it.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

thanks guys, hope u can you give me procedures on using ghost, never used it before, which shoiuld i focus on the windows version or dos, i need something not requiring restart or shutdown as much as possible since this is a live database server.
    what the heck?

Quote Originally Posted by dirkpitt
    thanks guys, hope u can you give me procedures on using ghost, never used it before, which shoiuld i focus on the windows version or dos, i need something not requiring restart or shutdown as much as possible since this is a live database server.

Ghost relies on the OS not being loaded to get a full backup. If this is a live server you should revert to suggestion 1 - make sure EVERYONE is logged off the server before beginning the tape backup.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I thinik you ougt to 'convince' your boss you need something a bit better than the standard backup s/w that comes with windoze & forget all about using ghost or drive image or whatever ... if the databases remain 'live' 24/7 you never do get to a position where there are 'zero' users, some f.'er is always 'in there' ....

What database s/w are we running ? ... there really should be something in that to produce backups of that without shutting everything down, if their ain't that's some 'shonky' database s/w you are using ! I could start rattling on now about 'commit' & databases and open files not in use etc, but lets leave that until it becoes clear that you don't understand (but I suspect you don't !)

Backup Exec 9 and volume snapshots should do the trick without restarting.
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee
    Backup Exec 9 and volume snapshots should do the trick without restarting.
    I hope I am not being rude, but my problem is related to backing up with Ghost 2003. Perhaps one of you can help. I have a home built Thunderbird 1.4 G with a jetway 663ASPRO board ad 3 Western Digital drives of various sizes. I frequently install and remove programs and as a result sometimes end up wit an unstable or non booting computer. My problem is that I have not been able to make a successful backup of the primary partition to DVD. CD's work fine, it just takes several of them. My DVD burner is a TDK DVDRW0404N, which is dual format. I have been using DVD-r disks. I test the resulting file and it passes, but when i attempt to use it to reinstall the system, I get a corrupted file error somewhere in the early part of the file. Do you think I would have better results using a DVD+R disk instead?
    May I thake the time to thank all of you for the the invaluable information you have provided me over the last year.
    Jim Cook

Jaimie this is a new problem and would be better served in a new thread. However, have you tried making the ghost file to a partition on your drive and then just burning the resulting .gho?

Also I see this when you use the highest possible compression, several times... try creating it with just medium compression.

I agree with Noo on this one. Put the image on another partition and then burn it to a dvd with the ghost.exe file. It might be easier to make a boot floppy disc instead of trying to get the disc to boot but that shouldn't be hard either.