Error messages

Thread: Error messages

Error messages

Can anyone help! I'm continually getting reports of Invalid page faults, often they happen when I'm browsing. Sometimes they happen as I'm loading my browser.They appear to be completely random.Below are a few samples--.Netscape caused an invalid page fault in Module Netscape.EXE at 016:006 ae 050.--Netscape caused an invalid page fault in Module KERNEL 32LL at 0167: bff 85488.-- IEDIT caused a page fault in module MFC 42.DLL at 0167:5f401351. As my computer then shuts down its getting to be a bit of a pain!. Since I have no idea why this is happening I'd be grateful for any assistance.Thanks, Autolicus.{ System ,Windows 98se .Mobo Gigabyte GA-5AXF3. AMD-K6. 256 memory, Browser Netscape4'7}

A memory fault is a likely suspect, especially since the quotes you've given seem to have the same segment address (0167). Being an older system, is the 256M of memory made up of, say, two 128M DIMMs? If it is, you could try removing one, if necessary then replacing the first and removing the other, to see if there is a fault in one DIMM.

If you feel competent removing memory, you could also try gently polishing the contacts along the edge of the memory modules with a soft pencil eraser, in case there is some tarnish giving a bad contact.
    Last edited by Platypus; August 24th, 2003 at 08:37 AM.

0167 faults is also something I have seen with TV cards that are dying.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Error messages

Platypus and Noo Noo. Many thanks for your help. I don't have a TV card, but I did remove my memory, and as suggested tried cleaning the contacts. It did help a little but not much.I therefore removed the oldest memory card and things got a lot better. Thanks again, Autolicus.

Go to www.simmtester.com and download docmem - it creates a bootable floppy from which it then runs a ram test. Run the quick test and see if it finds errors.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

How have you got on Autolicus?

Re Error Messages

Thanks to Platypus, NooNoo,and Pluto for your replys.Sorry to report still getting problems.I've tried cleaning my Simms and swapping them about but no noticeable improvement.I've also tried the Simm tester as suggested but now I can't get out from the Dos screen!. Can anyone help?.I might add that I've never used Dos before and having checked the various help screens and read the Windows handbook I still can't get back to Windows. Thanks again Autolicus.

I think its press escape to exit the docmem program and then you simply reboot.