Windows Update error

Thread: Windows Update error

Question Windows Update error

Am using Win98SE, and encounter this:

"Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested page.
    Send error number to Microsoft (0x80072EE2)"

Is this even the right address?
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp
    "To seek out new life forms", and promptly whipe them out.

Quote Originally Posted by sethfp
    Am using Win98SE, and encounter this:

"Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested page.
    Send error number to Microsoft (0x80072EE2)"

Is this even the right address?
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp
    Yes thats the right address. When exactly do you get this problem? If its while loading the page, this is the fix offered by ms for that error code. How do you connect to the internet, do you have a firewall and/or antivirus? Have you tried disabling them and then trying the page?

Have you done the "standard" ie fixes - Clear history, clear cache, clear cookies?
    Are you using IE? - no other browser will work (reliably)

Problem Description:
    Internet Timeout

Resolutions:
    This issue can be resolved by enabling "Use HTTP 1.1 through proxy connections" in
    Internet Options.
    To enable "Use HTTP 1.1 through proxy connections"
    1. Open Internet Explorer, click "Tools," and then click "Internet Options."
    2. Click "Advanced."
    3. Click the "Use HTTP 1.1" check box.
    4. Click the "Use HTTP 1.1 through proxy connections" check box.
    5. Attempt to access the Windows Update site again.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may need to add the following URLs to your proxy exception list:

With wildcards:
    *.Windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    *.Windowsupdate.com

Specific URLs:
    Windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    V4.Windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    Download.Windowsupdate.com
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Wink Errr ummm ... someone with a 98 box look please ...

Btw - Noo just lifted that big quote right off this Windows Update Troubleshooter which sethfp could have found by using the 'Get help and support' link & looking for the error (0x80072EE2) on the windows update site which was quoted correctly ...

My copy though has this iddy bit on the end ...
    Issue Applies To:
    Windows XP
    But it would since I'm using xp, but does it for a 98 client ?

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Yes thats the right address. When exactly do you get this problem? If its while loading the page, this is the fix offered by ms for that error code. How do you connect to the internet, do you have a firewall and/or antivirus? Have you tried disabling them and then trying the page?

Have you done the "standard" ie fixes - Clear history, clear cache, clear cookies?
    Are you using IE? - no other browser will work (reliably)
    Where is the "proxy exception list"? Am using IE, on a 56K, no firewall. The "Use HTTP 1.1" check box is checked. The "Use HTTP 1.1 through proxy connections" check box is checked.
    "To seek out new life forms", and promptly whipe them out.

Quote Originally Posted by sethfp
    Where is the "proxy exception list"? Am using IE, on a 56K, no firewall. The "Use HTTP 1.1" check box is checked. The "Use HTTP 1.1 through proxy connections" check box is checked.
    Then uncheck them, see if that helps!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Then uncheck them, see if that helps!
    ... !!!!!! ... is somebody fresh out of ideas ? - I don't think 'unfixing' it is gonna help somehow ...

But this is dialup are we sure somethings not just timing out anyway ? (perhaps check with ping or tracert ?)

Anyways, I can answer how to edit the 'proxy exception list' (even if all I had to say earlier was somewhat 'cheeky' ) ...

To do this, follow these steps:
    In Internet Explorer, click Tools and then click Internet Options.
    On the Connections tab, click the dial-up or virtual private network (VPN) connection that you use to connect to the Internet, and then click Settings. If you connect to the Internet through your local area network (LAN), click LAN Settings.
    Under Proxy server, click Advanced.
    In the Exceptions box, type Windowsupdate.microsoft.com;V4.Windowsupdate.micro soft.com;Download.Windowsupdate.com, and then click OK three times.
    Try again to visit the Windows Update Web site. If the problem is resolved, do not continue troubleshooting. If the problem is not resolved, remove these proxy exceptions and continue troubleshooting

I've seen this also - often, its an issue with the certificate. Surprisingly, even if the date is set incorrectly in the machine, the date will cause the certificate to either be expired or 'not valid' if its before the cert date.

Try setting the date/year properly, and if that doesnt work, delete the certificates under tools/internet options/content/certificates.

Just something to check. It's helped me in the past w/ the same issue.

Carpel

Seth,

The first thing I would do is reset all your internet explorer settings to DEFAULT. Second I would check for Malware...... Ezula, Bonzai Buddy, Bargain Buddy, Gator, are all examples of software that take over your machine and are very hard to get rid of.

I would download Spybot or Adaware by Lavasoft to remove any of these bad programs.

Third, make sure your security settings are on Medium.

Good LUck,

Orangeman
    Bouncy Bouncy