Presario Asleep?

Thread: Presario Asleep?

Presario Asleep?

I used to have a sign that read hourly rate: xxxx.
    Compaq presario, Packard Bell, IBM aptiva: 2x2x2x2x....
    I shouldn't have taken it down!!!

When power is applied, sleep light on the keyboard glows amber. No video, no post. I reset CMOS via the jumper, I tried another processor, memory chip. But something tells me that it really is in some kind of standby. Any suggestions. It has now been unplugged from power (cold) for 4 days. Where did they get these little guns? I need a one five five!!!! nothin' left but dust!

Thanks all.

Dean
    Last edited by dfritz; September 16th, 2003 at 04:21 PM.
    What evil lurks in the hearts of computers? Only The Noo Noo knows!!!

Sounds very much like its waiting for the hard drive to 'wake' & feed it the info to boot ...

You've already had it to bits by the looks of your post, so try unplugging the hard drive & see if it can at least post without that attatched ...

Now as for 'little guns' ... that ones lame ! you want to try some of these !

an 'uzi' apparently !
    assault rifle
    'Big' gun
    Flamethrower !
    An F14 !!
    Or my personal favourite - a 're-deemer' !
    Last edited by confus-ed; September 17th, 2003 at 05:13 AM.

Thanks Confus-ed. I unplugged all peripherals... not even a beep from the mobo. The three lights on the keyboard did flash, but that's all. Think maybe she's passed on!

I LOVE the guns.

Thanks, Dean

I've had machines 'permanently' get stuck in sleep mode before. No matter what I did, I wouldn't wake. Then, I held the power button in WHILE I turned the psu on, and up it came.

It's random, not sure if it will work for your board, but may as well give it a shot. Sounds like you've tried most other things.

Carpel

Did you strip the pci cards? I had a board acting similar with a bad modem. Never a blip on the screen just a blink on the keyboard then nothing.

Besides what ASM481 said, I'd remove power to all drives and remove all expansion cards. Video is probably on-board, no? See whether or not it POSTs then. Also, if it's an old enough Compaq, they put a sort of proprietary BIOS on a small section of their hard drives. Maybe try hooking up a different hard drive and see if it'll POST.
    Perseverance in all matters.

Thanks guys. I regret that I have already replaced the motherboard. And we're back on. But yes, I did remove all periferals including expansion cards. Video is indeed on board, so I tried a PCI video card. I wish I had not been so hasty. I would have loved to have tried Carpel's suggestion. Thanks again, everyone.

Dean

I also had a similar problem due to a NIC. It's amazing what what a bad card can do. I was working on a BRAND NEW IBM xSeries a few weeks ago. The machine would not come up properly when "cold". I would get random errors like bad processors, bad PCI bus, bad power supply, just about everything.

However, after it was powered up for about 10 minutes, I could shut it down, pull the power cables to reset the errors, plug it back in, power it up, and it ran great. Reboot after reboot, after reboot, always fine. But if you shut it down for about 30 min or so, and tried to power it back on, errors again.

The solution?

The ServeRaid-5i card was bad. Go figure. I had never seen symptoms like that before. Oh well. Just something else I'll forever know to check!