how is she doin this? keylogger?

Thread: how is she doin this? keylogger?

how is she doin this? keylogger?

buddy of mine broke up with his girlfriend. this may or may not be important. however now someone keeps changing his passwords locking him out of his Yahoo accounts and even his dial-up account. even when he creates a new account he is soon locked out by someone changing his passwords. i had him run Spybot and he said it found nothing but i am not sure if it finds commercial keyloggers or not. my thot is she has set his email up on a computer somewhere and is intercepting his email when he requests a new password. however he has a new Netzero account with a different username and password. anyone know of a piece of software that will find commercial keyloggers or detective ware? or any ideas how she could be doin this?

Quote Originally Posted by geeksRus
    buddy of mine broke up with his girlfriend. this may or may not be important. however now someone keeps changing his passwords locking him out of his Yahoo accounts and even his dial-up account. even when he creates a new account he is soon locked out by someone changing his passwords. i had him run Spybot and he said it found nothing but i am not sure if it finds commercial keyloggers or not. my thot is she has set his email up on a computer somewhere and is intercepting his email when he requests a new password. however he has a new Netzero account with a different username and password. anyone know of a piece of software that will find commercial keyloggers or detective ware? or any ideas how she could be doin this?
    Hi,

Apart from the normal spyware options such as Ad-aware and Spybot I don't know of anything that will search for keylogging apps. I would think these two would find anything but the best thing you can do is get in front of the pc and check what processes are running. Anything suspicious should show up fairly easily. Then you can do a Google search to be sure what it is and close it down / remove from registry as required.

What OS is he running and does he have AV, etc.?

emr

its Win98 and AVG antivirus. and he is 100 miles away and not real computer savvy. i want to help the guy but i dont know exactly what i am dealin with. the main question is how is she changing his passwords almost as soon as he changes them.

Does she still live with him? If so have him do a search for .log or .txt files and manually look through them. If she does not have him check his sent items for e-mails going to her account or an account he does not know with his keystrokes logged in it.

Look in the startup folder and have him run msconfig and see what is running at start, do a ctrl/alt/del and see what is active.

Well thre's this:

http://www.pc-surveillance.com/anti-keylogger.html

But it's $60.00 or so... I would suggest installing a firewall and a packet sniffer, but if he isn't PC-savvy, just the firewall at least. You might be able to tell if a "mystery application" is trying to send info then.

Cheers, hope this helps
    Bollocks

Trapware's "Who's Watching Me?" has a 90-day evaluation download.

That might be enough to figure out if a keylogger is involved here.

They have a pretty good list of "snooper" software here. If you see one of those running...
    Last edited by a d e p t; September 22nd, 2003 at 11:06 AM.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

heck if its that much of a problem the best spyware/keylogger removal took that i can think of is a good ol' fdisk and format

another suggestion is i work part time for a small local dial up company and when users forget their passwords we either look up their application and call them back at that phone number of if they say they moved or the address is now different we will ask them questions that are on thier sign up sheet, ie old address, phone postal code stuff like that, and if she has manged to do that with netzero she could be useing his netzero account changing the password then going on to yahoo and doing that i forgot my password deally and haveing the password email to his netzero account where by her changing the password she will be able to log into his yahoo account and change the password to something else, your friend could also call netzero and get then to check his activity log such as when he last logged on and when he last checked his email

Hi,

It is much more simple that all that I think!

She is simply going to the yahoo log in page, and then clicking on the lost password option. She clearly knows all his details DOB/ZIP code etc... so all she has to do is put it in and get a new password!
    I have seen this before, what he has to do is to change his details as well as his password....make up some DOB and use an obscure ZIP code.

My details are definitely not real in external mail accounts...for security reasons.

Rudders

Apologies BIGGS,

I think that I have unintentionally just written the same stuff as you....without realising it!

Have I said what you said in another way? LOL

Rudders