USB can't work

Thread: USB can't work

Hybrid View

Thumbs down USB can't work

I've got a 1996 Pentium 1 Mobo, called PCI Pentium TR4 Mainboard. I understood from the manual that I could attach a USB cable to the Mobo. A check revealed that indeed there was a 10-pin connector on the Mobo, clearly marked USB. However I can't get it to work. A check of the BIOS settings showed nothing about USB connection. Alas, the manual does not show anything about the manufacturer, no address, no WEB site, nothing. Do I need a BIOS update or is this a hardware problem or both ? If I need an update, what's the easiest way I can get one? Thanx guys.

Check Your mail box - I e-mailed to You my full collection of motherboard ID utilites with instructions.
    Good luck!

Thanx Ruslan, I shall definitely try it, but besides these software solutions, do u have any ideas about possible hardware solutions pertainin to my problem. Thanx again.

First of all,You should download manual and fresh BIOS update for You motherboard.
    Manual should tell You about USB pin assignment and You should have to buy appropriate connectors for USB.
    BIOS update should solve USB awareness issues - old BIOSes (1996year!)usually don't know anything about USB presence.

Thumbs up

If all else fails, sometimes investing in a pci usb card will help for older mb's. Just make sure you have a free pci slot and irq available. Best to have win98 or newer installed for usb support and disable anything regarding to usb support in the bios, if any, for the onboard usb connector to avoid conflicts. Check into that if it comes down to that point.

Cool

Thanx Bohr, I was thinking along the same line, but since there is this USB connector, thought I would give it a try, coz a USB cable is about 3 times cheaper than a USB PCI card, but alas I'm running into this problem, but I guess if all else fail, I'll seriously havelook into this option, only hope that it works. Thanx all the same Bohr, Keep the suggestions coming in guys, U all have been nothing but great.