no sound on xp sp1 install

Thread: no sound on xp sp1 install

Angry no sound on xp sp1 install

new fresh install of windows xp home with sp1 etc. all works ok except no sound. checked and my on board c-media 8738/c3dx pci audi device is a ok in all the sound areas on hardware etc. still no sound at all. not a peep

i will mb with cmi chipset for sound on board. works great with win98

help!

Quote Originally Posted by rob
    new fresh install of windows xp home with sp1 etc. all works ok except no sound. checked and my on board c-media 8738/c3dx pci audi device is a ok in all the sound areas on hardware etc. still no sound at all. not a peep

i will mb with cmi chipset for sound on board. works great with win98

help!
    Welcome to Windrivers Rob!

OK start, control panel, sounds speech and audio devices - sounds and audio devices link at the bottom - audio tab

What is the default sound playback device?
    On the volume tab - where is the volume slider? Is the mute checked? On the advanced button, what speaker setup do you have?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I've done all that many times over and it all checks out ok. the default device is the on board audio chip "cmi8738/c3dx pci audio device,

volume sliders are at the top and not muted.,

the drivers were updated from microsoft update and also checkout on the vendors web (c-media inc) checked for XP.

cannot find anything in device manager that is not showing everything is all right and working ok etc.

speaker set up is desk stereo which is what I have

Rob
    Last edited by rob; October 4th, 2003 at 04:42 AM.

Since everything worked prior to the upgrade, and you seem to have done everything driver wise, how about trying a different set of speakers?
    You just never no.
    Also, have you tried uninstalling the drivers and then rebooting?
    Good luck and welcome to WD.

That leaves us with unpowered or blown speakers or the jack not in the green input....
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."