AGP speed problems - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: AGP speed problems

If you have the ATI icon displayed, right-click on it and select display settings. Or go to the control panel and select display settings. Click on the Advanced button and then click on the Smartgart tab. You should have a slider for the available AGP speeds. It should automatically only display the available range that your card AND your AGP slot are capable of handling. Slide it all the way to right for the fastest speed.

Thumbs up Thanks still trying to figure it out

I down loaded powerstrip and it said I had 4X AGP capabilities on both the mother board and the card. Evilusion was I think on the right track when I checked his site www.viaarena.com but it only had a fix for the Geforce cards. The info at viaarena.com about the ATI card said to contact ATI. I went to the ATI web site and found some info but no solution. I have the latest catalyst drivers for the ATI card and when you check the info about the card it says it supports 4X but is set at 2X. Thanks for your info Duke I will give it a try and see if I can figure out what you are telling me to do. Not home right now but will try it this evening when I get home. Again there is no reason it will not run at 4X, I figure it may be a software or driver glich of some kind if Duke's idea does not work. I guess it really does not make a whole hill of beans between 2X and 4X AGP but if there is no reason it should not work then I damn well am gonna make it work!

Thanks,

caamsa9

Smile YOu guys are great!

The guy says he's fed up and gonna give up and we keep on going!!! Awesome!
    "It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine!"

Quote Originally Posted by iceman
    The guy says he's fed up and gonna give up and we keep on going!!! Awesome!
    Yes it is!!!
    Sometimes, we just have to figure it out, right???
    That is what makes us techs.....

Talking One last time

I saw no AGP controls for the video card in the ATI control for settings, but listen to this! I was at my parents tonight and they have a MS 6309 lite board with the exact same VIA chipset VT82C694X well they have a TNT 2 32mb card in their machine and it is running at 1X AGP but the board and card support 4X. So I upgrade the VIA Hyperion drives and VOILA! it is working in 4X mode. Now I have loaded the new VIA drives a couple of times in my computer and it is still not working........any ideas? I tried removing them and then loading them back in and still no 4X. Any one, any one...............???? How about it you techies?

caamsa9

AGP Voltage Bandwidth

Am just getting into the AGP thing as began having problems with one of our Dell units that has all the earmarks of video resource leaks. Anyway updated the driver and it cured the one set of problems only to create a new set (what's new!-(
    What I'm trying to find out is what happens if I put a 4x card or even 8x in a 2x slot? In my studies so far, I DID come across one spec set that described each of the slots, 2x, 4x, 8x) by different voltage rather than bandwidth, so that indeed may be a clue to some of the questions and answers here. Meanwhile anyone got comments on installing a 4x or 8x card in a 2x slot? I'm sure it will not run at full potential but will it give me the full benefit of the extra ram, etc?
    Thanks, ThePHNX

Quote Originally Posted by caamsa9
    This is an Atlantis Radeon 9100 card and some info I saw on the card said this....AGP 2x at 3.3V 4X 1.5V or universal 2X/4X. What do you make of that? Maybe that is what the idiots at Soyo were trying to tell me when they mentioned the power supply???????????? Still makes no sense to me anyway. What the board supports who the hell knows?

you all will be happy, this is my final post on this matter!

caamsa9

Quote Originally Posted by ThePHNX
    Am just getting into the AGP thing as began having problems with one of our Dell units that has all the earmarks of video resource leaks. Anyway updated the driver and it cured the one set of problems only to create a new set (what's new!-(
    What I'm trying to find out is what happens if I put a 4x card or even 8x in a 2x slot? In my studies so far, I DID come across one spec set that described each of the slots, 2x, 4x, 8x) by different voltage rather than bandwidth, so that indeed may be a clue to some of the questions and answers here. Meanwhile anyone got comments on installing a 4x or 8x card in a 2x slot? I'm sure it will not run at full potential but will it give me the full benefit of the extra ram, etc?
    Thanks, ThePHNX
    Welcome to Windrivers PHNX.
    Check this out which was already answered in a current thread about AGP backwards compatability.
    http://www.ertyu.org/~steven_nikkel/...atibility.html

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    Welcome to Windrivers PHNX.
    Check this out which was already answered in a current thread about AGP backwards compatability.
    http://www.ertyu.org/~steven_nikkel/...atibility.html
    OUTSTANDING! Would that Dell and ATi were as efficient. They've each deluged me with AI responses ( all irrelevant ) Human responses ( wrong !-( etc., ad nauseum. Makes you yearn for the old days sometimes; the machines were slower, humans faster!-)

SUPER: I'll be a regular, might even be useful, had to learn something hacking about since the 70's.

HBH

Wink "and this too shall pass"

Well I think my AGP problems lie within the VIA drivers and the ATI drivers. I found some older documentation on another site that brings me to that conclusion. Looks like there have been a lot of problems with the VIA drivers and ATI cards now and in the past. I have not gotten any support from VIA or ATI and VIA actually told me to contact ATI. ATI has told me nothing. Funny that the problems posted on another site back in 2001 was by this poor guy having the same problems I did, and he had almost an identical SOYO mother board and chipset. The person trying to help him told him to remove the old VIA drivers and use just the ATI drives, this worked kinda. If you read the other posts looks like the poor guy solved some problems only to discover new ones. Such is life!

Thanks,

caamsa9

Direct X?? Versus AGP / Video Driver problems

Well my suspicions are beginning to focus on Direct X.
    When I downloaded and installed the latest ATi drivers for my card ( Rage Pro Turbo 2x 8 meg ) it insisted I had to upgrade my direct x saying it needed direct x 8, so I did, only the new version at MS was 9, so now the ATi Driver may be in conflict with the later version of Direct X.
    Plan on getting a new card now that you guys have set me straight on downward compatibility. But I may try to solve the problem by finding a direct x 8 and installing it just to find out if my suspicions are correct.

I suggest a rule of thumb; look first at anything produced by Microsoft as the source of trouble!-(

some video cards have a jumper setting on them to go from 2X(3.3V) to 4X(1.5V) settings, if the factory set your card at 2X(3.3V) then this could be the trouble you are having. ALSO, make sure that your motherboard is 4X (1.5V) capable and that there isnt a jumper setting on it as well.

Question

I have looked for jumpers but do not see any. Are they the regular jumper type?Metal pins with plastic jumpers or is it something else. I put a geforce 4200 in the same board and it runs at AGP4X so it is not the board.

Thanks,

caamsa9

Red face I was wrong!

There is a jumper setting on my sapphire radeon 9100 64mb video card!
    It has the following settings. Called JP1/TV
    1-2 is for NTSC and 2-3 is for PAL. Have no idea what the hell that means. It is currently set on PAL.

That is all.

caamsa9

That jumper has nothing to do with AGP speed settings.
    One is the european setting and one is the american setting for televison/video settings.
    Leave it where it is.
    Old video cards used these jumpers he refers to when the cards and the spec was gravitating from AGP 1x to 2x or 2x to 4x.
    That should NOT be a problem with new cards.
    Also, the ATI warning is a general warning about directx.
    If you already had the latest installed the warning would still appear.
    Are your directx up to date???
    This thread is actually getting quite confusing.
    We have two guys with separate sets of problems (although related), but I don't know who is who anymore.
    Help me Geezer!!!!

Two Guys

Sorry about the confusion.

I'm the guy having problems with ATi Driver `UpDates' and ActiveX, and, yes, I have the latest `and greatest (?) (Nothing from MicroSoft qualifies for superlatives!-( ActiveX. The reason I wound up posting was because I wanted to upgrade to a new card as I feel it is yet another MicroSoft Memory leak problem, this time of the video memory of which I have `only' 8 meg. What I needed input on was whether 4x and 8x cards were downward compatible in a 2x slot. I got my answer very quickly and efficiently as you will see above.
    Thanks again for an excellent bunch of hackers (in the early days - 1970~1980's - "Hacker" was a compliment). HBH
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    That jumper has nothing to do with AGP speed settings.
    One is the european setting and one is the american setting for televison/video settings.
    Leave it where it is.
    Old video cards used these jumpers he refers to when the cards and the spec was gravitating from AGP 1x to 2x or 2x to 4x.
    That should NOT be a problem with new cards.
    Also, the ATI warning is a general warning about directx.
    If you already had the latest installed the warning would still appear.
    Are your directx up to date???
    This thread is actually getting quite confusing.
    We have two guys with separate sets of problems (although related), but I don't know who is who anymore.
    Help me Geezer!!!!