forgot admin password

Thread: forgot admin password

Hybrid View

Question forgot admin password

[/FONT][COLOR=DarkRed]
    I forgot my XP home admin password but i dont want to use one of those bootleg programs. I was wandering if there were any programs made by a reputiable or trust worthy source?, if not my other question is, can i just format the harddrive through the DOS prompt or bootable disk and reinstall or is there an easier way to reinstall?

If you remember what the password was when you installed, try the following. Boot to the repair console (or put the hard disk in another system) then backup the windows\system32\config folder. Then you take the contents of the windows\repair foler and copy/overwrite it into the config folder. Now, start your system, the password will be what you set it to during install.

What you may wish to do is in the future make the password recovery diskette that XP allows for so that you can avoid this issue in the future
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Quote Originally Posted by Stonehaven
    [/FONT][COLOR=DarkRed]
    I forgot my XP home admin password but i dont want to use one of those bootleg programs. I was wandering if there were any programs made by a reputiable or trust worthy source?, if not my other question is, can i just format the harddrive through the DOS prompt or bootable disk and reinstall or is there an easier way to reinstall?
    Welcome to Windrivers, Stonehaven.
    What, exactly, is the issue here?
    Is admin the only user for this pc?
    Is it a name brand pc?
    There is no dos prompt (per se) and no bootable disk for XP (I know, I know, read on).
    At least not like before, which is what you seem to to be looking for.
    Give us more details and we'll give many suggestions.
    Good luck and don't give up yet...

[/FONT][COLOR=DarkRed]
    Bootleg...smootleg... If you want results, and Matridom's instructions aren't able to get you through it, try this utility. I have used it a few times, and it works just fine. No side effects of any sort noted. Other's here have used it, Hopefully they will offer their seal of approval...
    http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

Quote Originally Posted by Ya_know
    Other's here have used it, Hopefully they will offer their seal of approval ...
    http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

seriously...I've used the utility Ya_know mentions at least a half a dozen times.
    Works flawlessly.

I've also used the program to which Ya_Know refers and never had a problem.

However, if you have a blank password and try and change it, it makes a right dogs dinner of it
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    However, if you have a blank password and try and change it, it makes a right dogs dinner of it

When I tried the old version of it it foobar'd the SAM file. I found a newer version of the bin and that one has given me no problems whatso-ever. Great program, the guy did a GREAT job of coding it.

Phaetos

All these program do is mess with or delete the sam file. If HD is Fat32 use a win 98 boot disk find the sam file and rename it to say 'bak' (the file is just called sam with no suffix) reboot and lo and behold the admin password is now blank (just hit logon) and you are away.

If hdd is NTFS, I use a Knoppix boot cd run up linux and do the same, you can find other programs that allow a boot up console from which you can delete the sam file on the web.

You may be able to delete the sam file from the xp recovery console but i expect not, it should ask you for the admin login password (which you dont know) before you can do system level file changes.
    <Help> Connect it to the one called SERIAL 1, look at the shape and make sure it is the right way before you gently push it on
    <User> It WON'T go on!
    <User> Wait a second....
    <User> 'Sound of breaking'
    <User> Thats it its on now!
    <User> ****! Now its fallen off!
    <Help> It should go on easily, what does the connector say next to it?
    <User> I think it says PARALLEL.
    <Help> Ok we will book an onsite call.
    <Tech> Replace M/B, Muppet had tried to connect Modem DB25 F/male to Parallel DB25 female.

XP Home Admin Password

[/FONT][COLOR=DarkRed]
    Heck; I don't even remember having a admin password when I install XP Home. I am the only user of this machine. Am I sopposed to have a password?
    ASUS A7N8X DELUXE, AMD XP 2800; with AMD XP Cool Master fan, 2-sticks Kingston 512/333/PC2700 DDR Memory; Two(2) Hard Drives-Maxtor 80 GB 7200 Ultra ATA/133, 8 MB Cache; Maxtor 40 GB 7200 Ultra ATA/133; Chaintech 64 MB Nvidia g-Force 2 MX 400/200; IOmega 100 Internal zip drive; Litetron 52 x 32 x 52 CD-RW; Antec 430 W TruePower power supply; Windows XP Home.

Yes! But you may have left it blank - the way to find out is boot to safe mode and login as administrator.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Yes! But you may have left it blank - the way to find out is boot to safe mode and login as administrator.
    Thanks; Yep. I left it blank.
    ASUS A7N8X DELUXE, AMD XP 2800; with AMD XP Cool Master fan, 2-sticks Kingston 512/333/PC2700 DDR Memory; Two(2) Hard Drives-Maxtor 80 GB 7200 Ultra ATA/133, 8 MB Cache; Maxtor 40 GB 7200 Ultra ATA/133; Chaintech 64 MB Nvidia g-Force 2 MX 400/200; IOmega 100 Internal zip drive; Litetron 52 x 32 x 52 CD-RW; Antec 430 W TruePower power supply; Windows XP Home.

hmm, in one word..

Quote Originally Posted by Many Horses
    Heck; I don't even remember having a admin password when I install XP Home. I am the only user of this machine. Am I sopposed to have a password?
    YESSSSSS
    Dyslexics of the world..UNTIE!