Speeding up windows

Thread: Speeding up windows

Speeding up windows

I seem to be getting more and more PC's running REALLY slowly in. Of course the customers ALWAYS have their documents and programs backed up....er....well we can dream can't we. Anyway apart from a wipe and reload or hardware change what's the best ways to speed up a machine.

So far I've got:

Remove viruses
    Remove spyware (Thank goodness for spybot)
    Windows Updates
    Defrag
    Kill as much as possible in MSCONFIG

Any other ideas?

My 'fav' utily HijackThis - malware remover

Think about 'services' especially 'un-required' ones not too much on the net to guide you & help 'effectively', however a good place to start is Black Viper most especially for xp pro but to some extent home too.

& the 'change' xp likes most .. is of course more memory - which for the cost vs me/you 'tweaking' is very 'cost effective @ today's prices' - okay so that's a hardware change - but another 256mb of memory is almost what I might charge for an hours 'work' ...

I like to tweak the services a bit by disabling some of the useless or seldom used ones.

Check out Black Viper's site for a complete run through.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    ...Think about 'services' especially 'un-required' ones not too much on the net to guide you & help 'effectively', however a good place to start is Black Viper most especially for xp pro but to some extent home too...
    Quote Originally Posted by Adept
    Check out Black Viper's site for a complete run through.
    Bloody hell ... what an echo ! all the way from Canada ...