Excellent Linux Based Email server software

Thread: Excellent Linux Based Email server software

Excellent Linux Based Email server software

Hey everyone,

I was just recently rebuilding our email server here and used this : www.qmailtoaster.com .

It's an excellent package of GPL'ed software that allows you to build a robust linux email server that cna handle pop and smtp email as well as having a web based interface for reading and sending email (like hotmail). The site has all the instructions (i recommend using Nick Hemmesch's instructions for Red Hat 9.0) and you can also implement server side virus scanning using Clamav or amavis (free gpl scanners that work great) or using commercial linux virus scanners. You can also implement Spamassasin to filter out spam using blacklists. I've got it running at one of my client's small businesses where 30 different brokers on the road check and send email using the web interface and it works like a charm on a p2 350 with 256 megs ram. For those of use who do alot of small business installs, this is great as it brings down the costs of installation for your clients and offers the stability and security of linux. I was also able to make the server into a windows file serve using SAMBA and a router/firewall with IPTables.
    Today, a haiku:

Google, you f**ktard
    my fingers are so weary
    of repeating crap

Quote Originally Posted by gtiseb
    Hey everyone,

I was just recently rebuilding our email server here and used this : www.qmailtoaster.com .

It's an excellent package of GPL'ed software that allows you to build a robust linux email server that cna handle pop and smtp email as well as having a web based interface for reading and sending email (like hotmail). The site has all the instructions (i recommend using Nick Hemmesch's instructions for Red Hat 9.0) and you can also implement server side virus scanning using Clamav or amavis (free gpl scanners that work great) or using commercial linux virus scanners. You can also implement Spamassasin to filter out spam using blacklists. I've got it running at one of my client's small businesses where 30 different brokers on the road check and send email using the web interface and it works like a charm on a p2 350 with 256 megs ram. For those of use who do alot of small business installs, this is great as it brings down the costs of installation for your clients and offers the stability and security of linux. I was also able to make the server into a windows file serve using SAMBA and a router/firewall with IPTables.
    Thanks, GTI

I have been using postfix, it is pretty simple to setup and maintain, but i shall try qmail.
    System Specs

486DX2
    16MB RAM
    16 MB RAM
    1MB vid RAM
    Windows 3.1