Start Button

Thread: Start Button

Start Button

hi
    i really need help with this one. it's not a huge problem but it's getting annoying. ok, basically my start button disappears. well not the actuall button. i turn on the computer, everything is fine. i see the word "Start" on the start button but once i click on it the word "Start" disappears! so i'll have a blank gray start button. the word re-appears at the next log on and of course vanishes by a click. any ideas?

Well that doesn't sound at all right ... start with an anti-virus check, & then try some anti-trojan stuff.

Everything else behaving apparently normally ?

This almost sounds like a video problem. Do you have any video corruption anywhere else on the screen?
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

Quote Originally Posted by silencio
    This almost sounds like a video problem. Do you have any video corruption anywhere else on the screen?
    Yes, I would suspect that as well.
    Have you tried new video drivers?
    If not give that a go first.
    Also, perhaps jugle with the settings.
    Try even standard VGA as the first step.
    If you still have a problem after that, let us know.

I think she clicked start to many times and it wore off like an old typewriter.

well i had to do a recovery about 2 weeks ago. after that i installed some of the programs that were gone (microsoft 2000 word, publsher, etc). i also reinstalled the printer. i upgraded real player 8 to real one player but it wouldn't play mucis from the net. it did play the files i had saved in my directory but whenever i tried downloading some music from the net it would get the message ....(damn can't remember the message right now) . anyways, i returned to real player 8. i haven't been able to upgrade internet explorer from version 5.5 to version 6 and i dont know what's wrong. (i had version 6 before recovery). so yeah i've been busy with reinstalling programs and now this 'start button' issue in on the horizon. this is all i've done since the recovery. does this help?

Kinda....

Lets start with Internet Explorer - why cant you get windows update to work? What errors do you get? We will worry about the horrors of realone player later.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

DejaVu.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    DejaVu.
    If its any comfort to you EVERY thread reads like that to me ...

i tried updating IE once again half an hour ago and guess what? i got the same message! it said that:
    "Setup was unable to install all the components. Please close all applications and try running the Setup again"
    well, i had closed down everything expect Explorer and Systray before connecting to the net so it couldn't possibly be caused of "too many programs running at the background".
    When i clicked on the Help it said:
    "It seems you have the correct Setup files, but the installation failed. Try closing down all the other programs and try running Setup again. If that still doesn't work, contact Microsoft Product Support Services for additional help."

so............ shall i seek help from Mirosoft or hope that one of the wonderful experts knows the solution?

p.s. i just noticed that the start button has a little picture of the currently running program. it was purple and yellow when i was watching a movie on Media Player, it had a greenish colour when NetMeeting was running and now it's black with tiny white squares on the bottom.
    i did run Virus Scan, Defragmenter and Disk Scan but no success!

Quote Originally Posted by Little-Chick
    ...... shall i seek help from Mirosoft or hope that one of the wonderful experts knows the solution?

p.s. i just noticed that the start button has a little picture of the currently running program. it was purple and yellow when i was watching a movie on Media Player, it had a greenish colour when NetMeeting was running and now it's black with tiny white squares on the bottom...
    Well don't hold your breath if you do decide to contact M$, you'll go blue & die before you get any answer, never mind one that works !

Mmmm what does this 'little picture' thingy ??? Its a new one on me - I'd suggest 'this' whatever it is ? Is responsible for the missing start button ....

When you did this
    well i had to do a recovery about 2 weeks ago
    What did we use to 'recover' some manufacturers recovery CD, or do you mean a fresh install ?... I want to know 'what' does this picture 'thingee' !?!... it might also answer why windows update won't 'go' ...
    Last edited by confus-ed; October 30th, 2003 at 06:12 AM.