open serial port

Thread: open serial port

open serial port

On my laptop, some mysterious program is opening Com1. Does anyone know of a good tool that will report who has the port open? Anything that I can do to open the port before anything else tries (ie on bootup) and see if I can at least get the program to complain that it is already open?

Computer is running Win2k sp3

I've tried changing the port and IRQ to to Com2 and I was able to access the port for one boot up. Next time I booted, I couldn't open it again.

Thanks for any insight

What processes do you you have running?
    Right click the task bar - task manager, processes tab.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

nothing out of the ordinary, I've shut down any/all processes that it will let me, and made sure that no unknown services were running. If I change my IRQ setting, I can use the port until I reboot. No program complains nothing... very odd. Everytime I need it now, I just change the IRQ.

Quote Originally Posted by hey__me
    nothing out of the ordinary, I've shut down any/all processes that it will let me, and made sure that no unknown services were running. If I change my IRQ setting, I can use the port until I reboot. No program complains nothing... very odd. Everytime I need it now, I just change the IRQ.
    Well, it obviously works, so, any communication type programs installed that you don't use: fax\pcanywhere\laplink types?
    Also, out of curiosity, which serial port 1 or 2?
    Do you have a modem?
    If so what is it?
    Have you tried looking in bios to see if you can manually set your serial ports?
    And if you do so, what happens then?

SisoftSandra: will give info on ports and usage.

http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/

Also, I would like to know what you are having a problem with.
    In other words you posted this in modems,etc drivers forum.
    Anything that I can do to open the port before anything else tries (ie on bootup) and see if I can at least get the program to complain that it is already open
    I don't know of anything other than a proper config, but someone else here might.
    What program is actually complaining?

Anything that I try using the port with. Including Hyperterminal. I couldn't find a forum that dealt with com port issues, so I figured this was the closest one.

Thanks for the help

still not having much luck

still haven't found the program tieing up the port, however, I did find a way around for now. As long as I change the irq setting after I boot up, and don't reboot any software that I need to use the com port will work.

My words of wisdom on this one are 'chipset patches present ?'

IRQ allocation is done initially by bios then windoze kicks in & dependant on o/s then does things one of two ways ... this appears to be w2k, so that'd be using ACPI bios (but can you confirm that it was on & thus windows is doing it this way, when it was installed) , so its either chipset patches or a 'faulty' bios (I put faulty in quotes as it means its not designed for ACPI under w2k/xp rather than bust )

Mismatched allocations is not at all unusual at all, & very often produces symptoms just like these ...All that 'it works until I reboot' stuff seems to confirm this to me.