Windows XP SP1 K7T Turbo 2 no sound

Thread: Windows XP SP1 K7T Turbo 2 no sound

Windows XP SP1 K7T Turbo 2 no sound

I have a system in which I replaced a bad mainboard (leaking caps). I installed an MSI K7T Turbo2 with onboard AC97 audio. The installation appeared to go smoothly (including the installation of sound drivers) except no sound. When you go to control panel it says no sound devices installed. I'm familiar with the old ME sound fix (drivers=mmsystem.dll) but this one is a little different. When you attempt to preview a sound the play button is greyed out (unlike the ME sound problem) and of course there are no sound devices to select (also greyed out but nothing to choose anyway). I read something in the via forums about installing the Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator http://forums.viaarena.com/messagevi...threadid=44823 and attempted to install it but it wasn't even listed to install. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am stuck on this machine.

Thanx
    Joe

BTW - already tried updated Hyperions, AC97 drivers, and bios flash

Was it a fresh install of windows or did you just use the old windows on the hard drive?
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

It's not a fresh load (proprietary software that is not easily accessible...that's why I didn't fix the problem with a reload).

Thanx
    Joe

yeah I've had this problem happen quite a lot with upgrading systems with Win98 on the HD. Without going into great detail I personally spent an exceedingly high number of hours attmepting to fix this problem. A friend of mine I used to work with at the time we started having these problems (who is very smart, might have seen him on here under LaserChips) also spent a number of hours on there. I have never asked the question here so I don't know if there is a specialized fix for it now that I haven't heard of or something.

However, I have had some success in certian circumstances. On success story involves installing another Creative sound card while disabling the onboard. Get it working then remove the card and turn on the onboard again and that worked once (out of at least 60 times). Was the previous sound card similar? perhaps deleting the INF file and installing again will help. I have had other successes as well but I'd have to review my notes from back a while. Hope this helps, if not maybe good ol' Noo can help you out
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

I guess they'll just have to pay $150/hour for the software guys (and put em up possibly overnight hehe) to install the software. You can only spend so much time on one system.....unless they wanna pay for every single hour I search for a fix. Thanx for responding.

Joe

i had the same problem with an identical board. fresh install of win2k and sound would install but no sound would come out, after going about 10 rounds with the stupid thing i decided to put in a cheap pos soundcard and problem solved

Quote Originally Posted by BIGGS
    i had the same problem with an identical board. fresh install of win2k and sound would install but no sound would come out, after going about 10 rounds with the stupid thing i decided to put in a cheap pos soundcard and problem solved
    YES Biggs!
    Sad but true, too often the onboard sound chip is no good.
    This has been talked about many times here, and there is no concensus.
    I've seen too many of them and it leads to a conundrum:
    If the sound chip is no good, what about the rest of the board?
    Good question, too.
    I have had to put cheapo PCI sound cards in too many machines with faulty sound chips: one is too many!!
    And, I don't like it.
    Perhaps we all need to RMA the damn things so the mfg's get the message!!!
    But they know that is a whole lot of work for a faulty sound chip.
    Perhaps, too many of us take the easy route?
    Last edited by TripleRLtd; November 12th, 2003 at 10:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FireAm94
    I guess they'll just have to pay $150/hour for the software guys (and put em up possibly overnight hehe) to install the software. You can only spend so much time on one system.....unless they wanna pay for every single hour I search for a fix. Thanx for responding.

Joe
    And yeah Fire...make 'em pay.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    And yeah Fire...make 'em pay.
    They are hehe. I wiped it yesterday.

Joe

well Triple... I guess there is a case for a format and forget it eh? :P

Quote Originally Posted by arch0nmyc0n
    well Triple... I guess there is a case for a format and forget it eh? :P
    Not sure what you mean actually.
    FireAm stated there was proprietary software so it seemed like he wasn't going to do that.
    Then:
    wiped it yesterday
    So, not sure exactly what is happening now.
    FireAm...?

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    Not sure what you mean actually.
    FireAm stated there was proprietary software so it seemed like he wasn't going to do that.
    Then:
    So, not sure exactly what is happening now.
    FireAm...?
    You get lost too easy. hehe There is proprietary software envolved.....and a business can only be down for so long. I finally told them that it would have to be wiped...hence they now call in the $150/hr guys to reinstall the software (coming from out of town and will have to stay overnight at the customer's expense). Understand better now? They did have a backup.

Joe

Sounds like a bad sound chip, but I can buy decent soundcards all day long for $7 to $9 a shot. Anytime I have a sound problem with a computer, I pop one in. You can do it faster than you can troubleshoot driver issues, etc. Of course, if the new card doesn't work, it's back to square one, but in most cases it DOES work.

Considering the cost of processing an RMA (your cost, customer's downtime, etc.) I can't see any point to spending more than 15 minutes on this issue. Quality control in the industry really sucks right now, but why cut off your nose to spite your face? If you have quality issues with the product, call Customer Service, ask for a supervisor, and give 'em the gun!
    Last edited by slgrieb; November 13th, 2003 at 07:37 PM.

yeah that seemed like a bit of an extreme measure to take (formatting) as I would have just put a sound card in if they REALLY needed the sound for a business machine... most busineses choose to leave it alone as they rarely use sound anyways...