Head banging time - Accessing the internet in the US

Thread: Head banging time - Accessing the internet in the US

Head banging time - Accessing the internet in the US

Here's the situation, a user in our council is going abroad for a fortnight on business and needs access to our e-mail website to access her e-mail. The problem is that she wants to access this from her i-book as she currently does from home.

Now I've tried to explain that it'd probably be far easier for her to go into a net cafe and use the machines there but she's not having any of it and wants her flippin i-book setup.

Problem is she's on BT internet for her home ISP and as we're a local council we can't really offer her an alternative to using this. But I seriously doubt that BT internet includes dialing the UK from the US. I'm not even convinced that the modem in her i-book is legal on the US telecomms network (probably is) and I'm not permitted to sign her up for a US based ISP (or any ISP) she has to do this herself (legally). She's being awful sticky about doing anything herself and seems to expect it all done for her, I've no problem with this attitude normally but this really is something that's out of our control..

Anyone have anyway that I can get her i-book, setup so she can access the net or give me seriously good excuses for not doing it?!

I have the feeling this job has come down the greasy poll from someone higher up in the support erm ladder.. who's promised her the world to keep her quiet until he could land the job on someone elses desk.

Unfortunately the hotels she's going to don't have wireless access, so modem is the only way I can do it.. or not as the case may be.

user > < me

Quote Originally Posted by Penman
    Here's the situation, a user in our council is going abroad for a fortnight on business and needs access to our e-mail website to access her e-mail. The problem is that she wants to access this from her i-book as she currently does from home.

Now I've tried to explain that it'd probably be far easier for her to go into a net cafe and use the machines there but she's not having any of it and wants her flippin i-book setup.

Problem is she's on BT internet for her home ISP and as we're a local council we can't really offer her an alternative to using this. But I seriously doubt that BT internet includes dialing the UK from the US. I'm not even convinced that the modem in her i-book is legal on the US telecomms network (probably is) and I'm not permitted to sign her up for a US based ISP (or any ISP) she has to do this herself (legally). She's being awful sticky about doing anything herself and seems to expect it all done for her, I've no problem with this attitude normally but this really is something that's out of our control..

Anyone have anyway that I can get her i-book, setup so she can access the net or give me seriously good excuses for not doing it?!

I have the feeling this job has come down the greasy poll from someone higher up in the support erm ladder.. who's promised her the world to keep her quiet until he could land the job on someone elses desk.

Unfortunately the hotels she's going to don't have wireless access, so modem is the only way I can do it.. or not as the case may be.

user > < me
    Get her one of those AOL CD's. AOL usualy sucks, but the 3 months free they usualy offer should be fine, also, since AOL is across the US and UK, she should be able to jack in anywhere... Provided her modem supports the North americain standard
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

It's been my experience that modems don't care...I live in Germany, but have a US modem on my laptop that I use all over Europe. I would think that if a US modem works in Europe, the European should work in the states.

Yup, aol is the way to go I am afraid - however, you will get your own back when AOL "forget" to cancel her account on her first, second and third attempts.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."