Win98 Doesn't Detect CD ROM Drive

Thread: Win98 Doesn't Detect CD ROM Drive

Win98 Doesn't Detect CD ROM Drive

Hi,

I've just changed the motherboard in a pc as part of an upgrade. I have left the current OS intact on the hard drive. The machine boots OK and inevitably finds all the new hardware, but I can't install any of the drivers as the CD drive isn't detected. The BIOS detects the drive no problem, but Windows doesn't.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Paul

Ok what version of windows is it? are there any drivers being loaded in the autoexec.bat or config.sys? A quick way around it in Win9x series is to load a driver in those files (autoexec.bat and config.sys) so you can update the drivers for the motherboard among other things... (but I'm sure Noo or Triple has something much more interesting in store :P )
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

The OS is Windows 98 First Edition. I have checked the autoexec.bat and config.sys, but there isn't anything unusual in there.

Cheers

Paul

You said you changed the motherboard as part of an upgrade.... You probably need to boot to safe mode and remove all the devices from the device manager and redetect everything.... Make sure you have all the drivers though. Or at the very least remove all the drivers for the motherboard stuff( including the hard drive controllers )
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

I think Shard is on the right track on this one..you might try removing the IDE controllers and rebooting..although sometimes you need to re-install windows to get it to start picking things up, especially with Win98 first edition if it was originally installed as an upgrade to win 95
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Shard's advice would ahve been my next post :P
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

Hi Guys,

I've had to install Win 98 SE over the top to get it to work, thanks for all your posts though.

Cheers

Paul

I have a quick question for you... first of all did the previous install have up to date patches installed, like IE6? If so, after doing the overtop install did you encounter any problems? (ie, MSN messenger won't load or windowsupdate won't load due to activeX security problems)