Laptop with good graphics card and sound

Thread: Laptop with good graphics card and sound

Laptop with good graphics card and sound

My dad asked me to find a laptop with a good graphics card (so an ATI, obviously) and sound.

I dont know anything about laptops and personally I hate them, anyway, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Thanks, but he wants one with a good graphics card, that has an nvidia

Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ClickHere2Surf.com
    Thanks, but he wants one with a good graphics card, that has an nvidia
    Exactly, that is a good graphics card, I bought 1 ATI and will never buy another as the drivers are horrible (Radeon Mobility 9000 in my dell lappie)
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Drivers for my Radeon are fine - running in several os's no problems.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by Radical Dreamer
    Exactly, that is a good graphics card, I bought 1 ATI and will never buy another as the drivers are horrible (Radeon Mobility 9000 in my dell lappie)
    Well I never had problems with drivers and I have had nightmares with nvidia drivers (crashing my system, wouldnt boot after updating, and it did that for all 3 updates released since).

I had a friend that HATED ATI and said he would NEVER buy an ATI card cause "there slow and have horrible graphics".

Then one day he actually saw a Radeon 9800 (the first ATI card he ever saw) and his first comment was "OMG WOW WOW WOW JUST WOW, the graphics are soooo much better than my geforce FX5900 and on mine it lags soo much, this is so fast and the graphics are amazing!"

Now he only has ATI cards.

And I certainly will NEVER buy an nvidia product again, 3 different updates that all crash my system? They really are total idiots, and I'm not the only one it happened to, a few days after the update they pull it saying they had problems.

And I hated nvidia, the only reason I got a motherboard with an nForce chipset was because I needed a sound card with a DD5.1 encoder (not to confuse with decoder) and fiber optic output for my 6.1 surround 700 watt receiver, and I couldnt find any other affordable sound cards with what I wanted.

Well I never had problems with drivers and I have had nightmares with nvidia drivers (crashing my system, wouldnt boot after updating, and it did that for all 3 updates released since).

I had a friend that HATED ATI and said he would NEVER buy an ATI card cause "there slow and have horrible graphics".

Then one day he actually saw a Radeon 9800 (the first ATI card he ever saw) and his first comment was "OMG WOW WOW WOW JUST WOW, the graphics are soooo much better than my geforce FX5900 and on mine it lags soo much, this is so fast and the graphics are amazing!"

Now he only has ATI cards.

And I certainly will NEVER buy an nvidia product again, 3 different updates that all crash my system? They really are total idiots, and I'm not the only one it happened to, a few days after the update they pull it saying they had problems.

And I hated nvidia, the only reason I got a motherboard with an nForce chipset was because I needed a sound card with a DD5.1 encoder (not to confuse with decoder) and fiber optic output for my 6.1 surround 700 watt receiver, and I couldnt find any other affordable sound cards with what I wanted.
    I'll agree that nvidia is in a bit of a slump right now, but I still wont touch ATI after the problems that I have had with the drivers for this mobility 9000. I tried the dell drivers and they are super slow (and old) the omega drivers are VERY buggy (his nvidia work fine) and the stock ATI drivers work fairly decent but nothing to write home about.
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

What were the problems with the ati drivers? Im sure they didnt completly crash your system and prevent it from booting at all like nvidia drivers do, that should be enough make you never buy nvidia.

What were the problems with the ati drivers? Im sure they didnt completly crash your system and prevent it from booting at all like nvidia drivers do, that should be enough make you never buy nvidia.
    No, they make my monitor run at some retarded resolution where the pointer is the size of a baseball and wont allow me to change it, also there are many graphical "glitches" and sometimes for no reason the machine will reboot (with the omega drivers) and the error report shows its the ati drivers.

Also they run quake 2 at about 50 times the speed its supposed to be played and it makes unreal tournament run slow and then fast (dell drivers)

The only ones that run ok are the ATI ones, but they dont support all the features of my card, like the tv-out.

Then Radical, your beef is with Dell for distributing inadequate drivers, not with ATI.

Ok, so we agree that both Nvidia and ATI drivers suck, now I think the real question is who's drivers suck the least? ATI or Nvidia?
    Last edited by Damned Angel; November 28th, 2003 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Then Radical, your beef is with Dell for distributing inadequate drivers, not with ATI.
    No, my beef is with ATI, All 3 drivers suck (dell, omega and ATI) Ati's just suck the least of the 3, I've had.

None of the 3 drivers will work well with quake 2 and/or UT.

So, in order of crappines, its

ATI = crappy
    dell = crappier
    omega = crappiest

Also, another reason why my beef is with ATI is omega and dell both just take the referance drivers and tweak em, they were broke to begin with, they just break em more :P

Oh and as far as the nvidia driver are concerned, I've only had problems with ONE release, the 23.11/23.12 (23.11 was released by nvidia and the 23.12 were released by M$) they never "crashed" the machine, they just caused random reboots