Windows XP and hacked

Thread: Windows XP and hacked

Windows XP and hacked

I have a friend who is running XP pro and she has cable modem installed, she says some times when she moved her mouse it takes up to a min to respond and thinks she has been hacked into is there a tool to down load to trace if your system has been hacked. She uses a fire wall linksys router. Just wanted to know is there a way to find out if your system has been hacked into . Thansk for any tips.
    James

The symptoms are not that of a hacked machine.

The simple way to see if you have been hacked is to look for files appearing on the drive you didn't put there.

There are many forms of "hacking" - whos watching me is a tool to see if you have ports open that shouldnt be, keyloggers are exposed, that sort of thing.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by jsigmon
    I have a friend who is running XP pro and she has cable modem installed, she says some times when she moved her mouse it takes up to a min to respond and thinks she has been hacked into is there a tool to down load to trace if your system has been hacked. She uses a fire wall linksys router. Just wanted to know is there a way to find out if your system has been hacked into . Thansk for any tips.
    Has she tried the usual - virusscan with up to date virus defs. and check for Spyware with Spybot or Adaware

Available at security.kolla.de or www.lavasoftusa.com

Also check out www.grc.com
    What I know about computers would fill volumes - what I don't know would fill a wharehouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Froghead
    Has she tried the usual - virusscan with up to date virus defs. and check for Spyware with Spybot or Adaware

Available at security.kolla.de or www.lavasoftusa.com

Also check out www.grc.com
    Another to add to the list to get 'malware' (those icky things you didn't 'really' agree to, which are busy phoning home every 3 seconds, which neither spybot/nor adaware seem to get) Hijackthis .

To me this looks more like 'bunged up with cr*p' (sypware,bloatware,malware) than truely 'hacked' as in remote controlled ...

BTW I ain't never used 'who's watching me' - but is there a more up to date version ? from the link "Latest Snooper Definitions updated on December 27, 2002." ...