My Specs:
    1GB PC 2700 RAM (2 512 chips)
    160GB Maxtor HD ATA 133
    Asus A7N8XPCB2.0
    Bios C1007
    Windows XP Pro (All updates installed)
    Soundblaster Audigy (latest drivers)
    Systemworks 2004
    MSI GF4TI4800 (running NVidia drivers of 10/23/03.)

My Problem. About a month ago while playing Everquest I started getting these Blue screens of death stop messages. At first they were ALL Stop 8E messages in NV4_DISP.DLL. Started becoming more frequent, It had been awhile since I reformatted so I reformatted and installed WinXP again. Reinstalled all my drivers and installed EQ only. Played it for a few hours and started getting the error message again. But slowly the times the message shows up has been increasing. Last night it froze up on me with BSOD 4 times in 1 hour. I also got a new BSOD Stop message last night. Stop 50 Page_Fault_In_Non_Paged_Area. I looked around and found that it could be my page file. So I went in and set Page File to off, rebooted and turned it back on. Happened again a few minutes later. Then I decided to pull one of my sticks of ram out. Pulled one out, few minutes later I got a BSOD Stop 8E in NAVENG.SYS and NV4_DISP.DLL. So I yanked out that ram and put in my other one. With this stick in I never got a BSOD but the computer just froze. No response to anything. The HD each time would work really hard for a few seconds then make this Click-Chunk sound (not a good sound) then freeze. Is this an indication my HD is failing? I did a disk defrag and it froze in the middle of that. So I went to Maxtor and downloaded their HD check tool and pulled my HD out and plugged it into my mother's computer a ASUS A7V133-C MB (since the maxtor tool won't work on nvidia chipsets) and ran this utility. It found an error on the HD and asked me if I wanted to fix it. I said yes. Plugged it back into my computer and was able to defrag my HD completely. No problems till this morning. I awoke to find my computer with a BSOD Stop 0A IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL message with no file as the fault listed. Other than the freeze in defragging my computer seems to run fine except when playing EQ. Don't have any other games installed that would tax the HD or RAM or anything. I just downloaded GoldMem and am gonna do a memcheck. But before I reinstalled windows a month ago I ran DocMem or something like that and it found no problems.

Please Help!
    Eric
    I'm Homer of Borg...Resistance is fut....Mmmmmm...Donuts...

Your errors appear to be from Norton AV and your Nvidia drivers. Turn off the NAV and update your video drivers.

NAV needs to be shut off to install the Video drivers and will tell you so when you go to install.
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

Quote Originally Posted by DocPC
    Your errors appear to be from Norton AV and your Nvidia drivers. Turn off the NAV and update your video drivers.

NAV needs to be shut off to install the Video drivers and will tell you so when you go to install.
    Norton AntiVirus can be the cause of many horrendous headaches. Always disable when loading any software.
    The Moral Majority is neither.

Master Sargent - WOTPP

I always do disable Norton AV when installing software. These problems have occurred with both Systemworks 2003 and 2004. I have updated my video card drivers to the latest 52.16 (I check for new drivers weekly). I have tried many back versions of the video drivers as well (both reference and MSI's). I have had Systemworks 2003 on this system with no problems since 2003 was released until a month or so ago when I started getting these BSOD messages. The frequency of the BSOD Stop messages have been increasing. When it first started happening it happend once every 8 hour sessions in EQ. Until last night where it happened 4 times in 1 hour.

-Eric

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    Any heat issues or have you checked? I ask since you say that this happens when you are playing a game
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Usually, errors of the sort (getting more and more frequent) are hardware related. I'm beginning to suspect the ram or the psu.
    Since you have your mother computer as part donnor, I would suggest to try with her psu and the minimum amount of ram in yours - see if it change something in the frequence.

keep us posted.
    C'est la Vie...

"I invented it, Bill made it famous." ~ David Bradley
    (wrote the code for Ctrl-Alt-Delete on the IBM PC)

"You know you're a geek when... You try to shoo a fly away from the monitor with your cursor." ~ Juuso Heimonen

Quote Originally Posted by eedmond
    The HD each time would work really hard for a few seconds then make this Click-Chunk sound (not a good sound) then freeze. Is this an indication my HD is failing? I did a disk defrag and it froze in the middle of that. So I went to Maxtor and downloaded their HD check tool and pulled my HD out and plugged it into my mother's computer a ASUS A7V133-C MB (since the maxtor tool won't work on nvidia chipsets) and ran this utility. It found an error on the HD and asked me if I wanted to fix it. I said yes. Plugged it back into my computer and was able to defrag my HD completely. Eric

I'm pretty sure that no Norton product will cause your hard drive to make a clunking noise..and if the problem was fixed for a bit with the manufacturers tools, i would be willing to bet that if you ran them again, you would find a new problem and fix it..only to have it reappear in a short while. Sounds like your drive is failing.
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Possibly may be more than one problem. This morning I set GoldMem running to check my ram. It found ALOT of errors in it. I pulled out one stick and am running GoldMem again to see which stick of ram it is. Gonna replace the ram definatly first thing and see if the issue goes away. If not then I will look into the HD more.

Thanks,
    Eric

memory incompatibility

Well, I just got done running Goldmem on my ram. With both sticks in the system it found lots of errors. But when I put only 1 stick in it found nothing. According to Goldmem's manual this is an indication that the memory is not compatible with each other. One stick is Crucial other is Infineon. Ordering 2 sticks of 512MB PC3200 Crucial to replace these.

-Eric

One last question if anybody can answer it. The 2 sticks of 512MB PC2700 ram that I had in the system were from Infineon and Crucial. I have had these both in my system for at least 6-8months. How come this incompatibility didn't show up until that last month or two? Is it possible that I did not run any programs that were memory intensive enought for the incompatibility to show up? If any of you are familiar with EQ the problems started showing up about the time LDON was released. Perhaps LDON was more memory intensive so it caused the incompatibility to rear it's ugly head?

Thanks,
    Eric

Lightbulb a simpel solution is

a asus motherbord can have trouble with 2 sticks of 512 mb memory
    just go to the site and look wath memory is tested.

a simpel answer should be replace the memory with 2 sticks (not doublesided) just with one side memory sticks on it...

my 2 cents...

eurobyn