Internet Connection Problems

Thread: Internet Connection Problems

Internet Connection Problems

Hi,

I have a DIGITAL TS30H laptop with a zoom 3090 USB external modem. The laptop is running Windows ME. When I try to connect to the internet I get the following error:

Disconnected from the computer you dialed.

I have tried the modem on a different pc and it works fine using exactly the same ISP account. What could be the problem?

Cheers

Paul

Usually it's as simple as a typo...

from modemhelp.net...

"You Have Been Disconnected From the Computer You Dialed. Double-Click the Connection to try Again.

1. Make sure they are typing in the username and password correctly.

2. Make sure dialer and network control panel settings are correct.

3. Recreate dialer.

4. Update modem drivers, try inits and commas, etc... "

updated drivers might be here
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    Blow out the dialup connection and add it back, ive seen numerous instances where all settings are correct but the connection wont work until removed/added
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Hi,

Tried all your suggestions but still no joy.
    Any other ideas?

Cheers

Paul

Uninstall dialup networking from add/remove programs, windows setup tab in control panel IN SAFE MODE with system restore turned off.

Uninstall the modem.

reboot and reinstall dialup networking in normal mode, then add back the modem if it hasn't already. Reboot, recreate dialup settings, try again, if successful, turn system restore back on.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Hi NooNoo,

Thanks for your post. I tried what you suggested but still no luck. I have even tried reinstalling Windows ME, and tried Windows 98, but the problem is still there. I suspect that it is a hardware fault although I know that its not the modem as it works on an other machine. Maybe the USB controller is faulty?

I'm going to get a serial external modem and try that.

Cheers

Paul

Try lowering the max connection speed (i.e 56 or even 48 - 42kpbs) not the max 115k as some providers have a max timeout of 30secs for allowing a correct handshake and autentification.
    Had that probl with my isp, and since I dropped to 56k max, works every time.
    C'est la Vie...

"I invented it, Bill made it famous." ~ David Bradley
    (wrote the code for Ctrl-Alt-Delete on the IBM PC)

"You know you're a geek when... You try to shoo a fly away from the monitor with your cursor." ~ Juuso Heimonen

Eeeh, ur, uh-hum. Have you contacted Zoom tech support? Much as I hate to admit to not knowing everything, that is a resource you shouldn't ignore. One point to consider with a laptop is power output to the USB ports. Some don't supply adequate power for external devices powered directly from the port. Might also want to look at updated USB drivers for your beast.

BTW, does the modem dial and connect from ANY app you have on the laptop? I mean, have you tried it with your fax software or Phone Dialer, or HyperTerminal, or whatever?
    Last edited by slgrieb; December 2nd, 2003 at 07:20 PM.

Try bios settings

Have you looked at your PC Bios? Maybi a bad USB config or network boot... It has happened to me once, that with the boot from network enabled, a cable modem just refused to work, probably because some strange conversation with the bios on startup....

Good Luck and
    Greetings