Geek to Geek for sale forum?

View Poll Results: Good idea?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I've got lots of crap to get rid of or, I'd like some more crap.

6 66.67%
  • No! I got rid of my crap and don't want any more.

1 11.11%
  • I'm zen and don't really care.

2 22.22%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Geek to Geek for sale forum?

Geek to Geek for sale forum?

I'm getting rid of some old computer parts, games, and other stuff and it seems like a waste to go through ebay to get rid of them.

Would there be any demand for a geek to geek 'for sale' forum?
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

sounds like a winner to me

I too have some crap I wouldn't mind parting with, but just don't feel like dealing with ebay wondering if I'm going to get paid, making fancy listing html files paying a percentage to ebay etc etc etc, so it just sits in my basement.
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

AGREED!!!
    But we have another problem.
    I have a whole garage and a room in the house full of stuff going all the way back to 386 and ISA.
    Plus many parts from "exchange" or upgrade PC's where I have become the local "PC junk yard".
    There are some parts which could be included in used PC's, but most are just that=JUNK!!!
    Ebay?
    I don't like it, but how about a thread about it?
    Anywho: I can't just put everything out for "collection" because of collection and recycling laws.
    I would have to rent a truck and deliver it to the recycling/collection/dump site....but I am not sure they would take the stuff.
    So, what do I do?

Been here ... done that ... decided from 'on high' that we couldn't have one

I don't remember the exact reasoning, it was something along the lines of we aren't e-bay, if you wanna do that go there ...

OR that was the position last time this was muted .... maybe things have 'relaxed' ?

I was in favour of it last time, I think I might even have suggested it, it gets my vote, anyway !

What about hot deals forum? Couldn't you advertize there?

The problems arise when the transaction gets cancelled for whatever reason, mostly this causes bad blood.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd

AGREED!!!
    But we have another problem.
    I have a whole garage and a room in the house full of stuff going all the way back to 386 and ISA.
    Plus many parts from "exchange" or upgrade PC's where I have become the local "PC junk yard".
    There are some parts which could be included in used PC's, but most are just that=JUNK!!!
    Ebay?
    I don't like it, but how about a thread about it?
    Anywho: I can't just put everything out for "collection" because of collection and recycling laws.
    I would have to rent a truck and deliver it to the recycling/collection/dump site....but I am not sure they would take the stuff.
    So, what do I do?
    I wonder if Save The Geeks is still operational...
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    The problems arise when the transaction gets cancelled for whatever reason, mostly this causes bad blood.
    When has bad blood ever hurt the board...

Quote Originally Posted by a d e p t
    http://www.cafeshops.com/savethegeeks
    I especially like the following:
    For your information, profits from these sales are in the order of 2-5$ US per item,
    and will be used to purchase only the latest and greatest PC hardware for needy geeks.

Well, my thought was, I've got about 40 games (retail CDs) and a few audio books that I've listened to so it would be nice to post somewhere here that they're for sale. I can't think of another online group of people that I would trust more...
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

Hi there,

I usually give my unwanted stuff away or use them as backup, or help a friend who never used a computer before. I did posted a request for computer parts that no one wants, but got close off.

Ju Leon...
    Otaku Anime Network
    http://www.otakuanime.com/

Guardian Of The Sailor Scouts Universe
    http://www.guardiansenshi.net/

The Sailor Scouts Gallery
    http://www.kawaiisenshi.com/

Quote Originally Posted by silencio
    Well, my thought was, I've got about 40 games (retail CDs) and a few audio books that I've listened to so it would be nice to post somewhere here that they're for sale. I can't think of another online group of people that I would trust more...
    Check yer PM cateaterman....
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    So Missey ... is that a yay or a nay ?

Currently 'the people' have 'Yay' way out in front, I thought we were running a democratic ship nowadays ? Though I guess from the 'ON' to can we have a steam room again? I might be being a touch optomistic !?!

What about a compromise ? (I like them, having as a man only just discovered them )

What about say - You can post your stuff in hot hot deals & then ask for your thread to be closed immediately & all further discusssions, haggling, negiotiation, etc etc, get conducted by pm /email & are therefore 'stuff all' to do with the boards ?

I see Doc has read my mind & is taking up this system anyway !

If you take a peek at http://www.thedvdforums.com they have a Classifields forum, and have created a set of guidelines and also a 'trader feedback' forum so they can look at who's not sending things etc.

It's not the most secure method of selling stuff, but I have bought and sold several items with no problems at all. I usually only deal with the members who actually post in the other forums
    Why Do Prisons Use Windows ME?

Because it always Locks Up

(Futurama)

Quote Originally Posted by a d e p t

Nope. :-(

Had to nix it when my bud switched webhosts a little while back. The hit count was the lowest of everything we had and we sold one pair of thong panties (to my GF yay for me).