What spare parts to carry in the field?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What spare parts to carry in the field?

What spare parts to carry in the field?

I am curious to know what spare parts other techs carry whilst out on jobs.
    You could end up needing a truck if you try to cater for every situation so I want to only carry parts that are used more often than not.
    Should I carry spare ram and if so what type? What about vid cards, sound cards, Spare modem, keyboards (What about those roll up keyboards are they any good?) mouse, cd-rom drive, floppy drive, power supplies, cpu fans etc etc.
    Do you carry most of these items or do you see what the customer needs and then return with the correct item on a subsequent visit?

I must admit I live in a small town so it isnt far to have to return later with the parts but I want to know what I should at least carry on me all the time.

• Graphics adapter (GF2 MX400)
    • CD-ROM drive (with spare cabling)
    After that, it gets more complex to troubleshoot hardware and usually means a replacement anyhow. There are just too many variables for CPUs, HSFs, hard disks, PSUs, etc. I hate to get bogged down with excess hardware.

With those 2 items, you could at least rebuild an OS if need be, all other hardware being functional. The PC would then at least be usable, if not up to its full potential.

A sound card wouldn't be too much to carry along with that also.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

PC parts hardly take up any room at all!!!
    I got myself a Van though, because I have to pick up monitors and pc's to return to the shop for repair.
    But I do service calls and don't have a storefront...so, I need to have everything possible to repair/replace any problem confronting me on site.
    My van is an Astro, and I still only use the space behind the last seat in back for all necessary parts.
    Every part you mention is necessary...you only lose money if you have to travel back again to the same site.
    The ONLY things I don't carry as replacements are cases and Monitors.
    But, with a video problem, I will take a spare/used monitor just in case.

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    1 At and ATX power supply 1 each AGP, PCI video card 1 each assortment of processor fans, celeron, pentium, AMD, etc. CD rom, 40 gig ide hard drive, 1 each at & ps2, & usb keyboard, 1 each serial & ps2, & usb mouse, extension cables for keyboard, mouse and video. ( i sell 2-3 sets a week to residential customers!) 1 Floppy Drive, 2 128 Pc 133, 2-256 Pc 133, 1 internal & 1 external modem. 1 box of assorted gender changers, pre-made cat 5 cables, parallel printer cable, usb cable, firewire cable. 1 each Win 98, Win 2000, Win XP, home & Pro upgrades.

I also carry around a case w/ motherboard w/ audio/ video, lan on board, 2 ghz. Celeron processor, already put together. Instant upgrade. Very profitable.

I also work out of my vehicle. A PT Cruiser. I do mostly businesses during the day, residential in the evening. Not only is being a good tech important, but you have to be a salesman. I open a 4 yr. old computer to change a floppy or cd rom, you better believe it's also getting a fan. All my above mentioned parts are more expensive that at the store, but the customer is paying for the convenience. They all love it.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the very informative replies. Looks like I will have to contact my bank manager to be able to afford all the spare parts I need to carry with me.
    Seriously though I do have a lot of spare parts already as I have been buying old computers at garage sales lately and stripping them. I just didn't want to carry everything around with me all the time. I just need to build up some new parts as well especially Ram, cables and larger capacity hdd's. I have a good supplier which has some great prices on a large range of stock. Ive made a list from your suggestions so I can place an order.

Thanks again.

residential

What a great waste of time......a $3 dollar markup on a $5 fan, for grandma's computers?...............yeah.....this is why i don't even bother with people's computers.........beggars can't be choosers, but this type of stuff is below me......upselling stuff reminds me of those compusa salesmen that try to push a p4 with 1 gig of ram to browse the web.
    RCVC (Russian Certified Vodka Drinker), Meathead+

Quote Originally Posted by ScorpioIlya
    What a great waste of time......a $3 dollar markup on a $5 fan, for grandma's computers?...............yeah.....this is why i don't even bother with people's computers.........beggars can't be choosers, but this type of stuff is below me......upselling stuff reminds me of those compusa salesmen that try to push a p4 with 1 gig of ram to browse the web.

Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

I like adept's list

I like your list........mine's similiar

PCI Video Card (Geforce 2 MX like you suggested) 25 bucks, sell it for $50

IDE CD-ROM $16 sell it for $32

256 MB stick of SDRAM (largest that fits into BX chipsets)

20 GIG 7200 rpm IDE hard drive....$50 sell for 80

300 watt PSU $25....sell for $50...

Optionally you could carry a stick of DDR Ram, or bigger hard drives, Optional power supplies.....but....I think if you happen to have a spare dual xeon PSu, u're giving people the impression that its all a 1-stop fix......some things are special...people should realize that you fixing their servers, and/or replacing big parts....is a big deal...otherwise they'll try to **** you on the rate.....and **** the guy after you...same with data recovery........certain things carry a HIGHER MARKET RATE....remember that.....don't be the 1-stop $50 an hour guy......charge $35 for crap and $200 for big things. Oil takes just as long to replace as spark plugs, or certain other parts in a car, but 1 is harder to do...maybe that's my idealistic 2 cents..from a 22 year old , its not much of an advice, i've only had 3 jobs, and 4 clients my whole life, but its what i've learned....

hmm

okay so i came in at 3 am this morning, and the non-english speaking immigrants asked me if i spoke english at the parking garage downtown......maybe i'm a little testy.......

A hammer and a flask of Jack Daniels.

maybe that's my idealistic 2 cents..from a 22 year old , its not much of an advice, i've only had 3 jobs, and 4 clients my whole life, but its what i've learned....
    How refreshing...the voice of experience.

come on

the voice of inexperience is often the loudest................MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA come on its friday....only 1 more hour til i go to the gym, then 4 hour nap, then BAR HOPPING TIME>...WOOO WHOOOOOO

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    How refreshing...the voice of experience.
    How refreshing...the voice of sarcasm.

the voice of inexperience is often the loudest................MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA come on its friday....only 1 more hour til i go to the gym, then 4 hour nap, then BAR HOPPING TIME>...WOOO WHOOOOOO
    Alright, have a good time while you're paying $4 for a $1 bottle of beer.