Shuttle hot591p errors galore
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shuttle hot591p errors galore

Angry Shuttle hot591p errors galore

I have a shuttle hot591p with a AMD-K2 450
    processor a 13gig maxtor hard drive and an acer read write cd rom. The board sits in a case with an ATX power supply. The board is loaded with the most recent bios. Every time I try to load in win 98 I keep on getting windows errors or faults. One that keeps coming up at boot is can't initialize NDIS start windows again. Well the more I restart it the more problems I have and the more I load on my computer and have to shut it down and restart it for it to update the program or down loaded patches the worse it gets. Any one know what the hell could be going on. I even get errors when I am in the safe mode and am trying to check out what the heck could be wrong. O yea I have 128 megs memory.

HELP!!!!!

[email protected]

Could be several things. IF it is software, could be a virus on there. Like you had mentioned, you had installed many patches, software, etc. and it is getting worse. But with the fact you are getting errors when entering safe mode even, that sounds like a hardware issue. It could be everything from bad ram, bad board, bad hd, bad p.s, or even a bad processor (but that is the last thing to go bad.) Are you running win95, win98se, winme ??? If possible, format the hd with a clean boot disk and scandisk the hd for bad clusters. If the hd doesn't have any bad clusters, then reload windows with the latest board patches, drivers for your v.c., modem, s.c., etc. If windows loads and runs fine then it may prove it was a software related issue. If it doesn't then it could be bad ram, mb or processor. If you don't want to lose any info on your hd. Try to get another good known hd and reload windows from scratch on that one. Hope this will help determine the source of your problem. There are some third party programs to use to test the hardware as well. For ex: I use Goldmem Tester to test the ram for reliability. There are many other programs to test with. I'm very sure the other extremely helpful techs on these forums will have other suggestions as well besides me.
    Try it out for now.

Check out www.analogx.com. There are many free utilities that can help you test out components. If I were in your shoes, I would just back up important files and then format. Good luck friend!

-aa
    -----------------------------------
    -aa
    -----------------------------------

joelsplace

If it was mine I would make sure the HD was set to the same UDMA speed the board is capable of (HD UDMA speed is set with a utility from the HD manufacturer) and turn off UDMA for the CD drive. I have had really strange problems go away with both of these fixes. I have also had close to 100% failure rate with Shuttle boards so a hardware check is in order. Joel

Wink

Thanks for the info! My brother tells me to get a new board with a Duron chip socket A and maybe he is right. I tested every thing and all is well so maybe it is the board. Booting the computer is kinda like playing russian roulette, some times it boots, some times it dont. I have three other slower pents running at best 166mmx and I have had no problems with the software I am using so it must be the hardware. I am running win 98 on it. Also what the heck is a NDIS. That is the consistent error that I have been getting at boot. (can't initilaize NDIS) once I get logged on I get different errors but they are always the same ones. Almost like the whole thing gets in a loop. O well I will try a few more things and then I may order a new board and chip.

Thanks,

WinDrives Forums RULE!

[email protected]

sage19

hmm have built two systems with the hot591p, no problems at all.
    Just out of curiousity, how long have you had the system? Is your ram one stick or two? Dimms or Simms? Are your mem timing settings set to normal or turbo? Is your Windows 98 an upgrade of Win 95? What version of the Via 4-1 do you have installed?
    What other hardware do you and and what slots are they in?
    May seem like alot of questions but you can never know what the problem is...

Talking

Sage19 thanks for the encouraging words. I bought the board brand new on 9/19/98. It use to run a AMD 233 and now runs a AMD 450. I have two 64mb SDram Dimms, one in each slot for 128mb. Yes it is running a win 98 upgrade. I have the mem on turbo and the board jumpers are set at 100 mhz. what is Via 4-1? You mean windows version, not sure. starting with the highest PCI slot I have a 2 port USB card. The next one has a 32mb savage 3d video card. The next slot has nothing. Then I have a sound card in the last ISA slot and a Modem in the next to the last ISA slot. So I have two empty slots, one ISA and one PCI.

Thanks,

Hope this info can help me!

sage19

The Via 4-1 driver is the chipset driver used for your board. A version should have been on the cd that came with your motherboard, but it sounds like it is probably pretty out dated by now.
    You say that your Win98 is an update of 95? Did you install the AMD patch for processors on the VIA MVP3 chipset at speeds above 300mhz under Win95? The problem with them doesn't affect Win98 or later, but if you updated from Win95 DIRECTLY (I mean installed 98 over 95) it should have affected you since you added the 450 k6-2.
    The Savage video card shouldn't be a problem if you have the latest bios, what version do you have installed?

sage19

Okay, if your problem is what I think it is, try the following things.
    Lower the speed of your processor to 300mhz using the jumpers (3 x 100).

Go to this site and download + run this patch. (the one for 350+ processors)
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/d...D10209%26redir ect%3Dno

Now download and install the via 4-1 from here - http://www.viatech.com/drivers/index_new2.htm#3

Just download the 4-1 driver from the Apollo MVP3 chipset section near the bottom of the table. You'll need a zip utility like winzip to use it.

Try these and tell us what happens!

jeffsr

You didn't mention it, but you may be having a heat related problem. This is common with the earlier K6 CPU's. They can be very heat sensitive. If you don't have a fan on it, get one. If you do, make sure it's working and make sure all the other fans in the case are spinning as well. I have two PC's with the Hot 591P and it's a good stable board. Not cutting edge but very user friendly and stable.

sage19

I did forget about that... reminds me, if you do have a working Heatsink and fan, how long has it been since you cleaned them out? The fan could be just fine but clogged with gunk.

Talking

Thanks, for the info I will give it a try. Not sure what bios I have on the savage card but I did upgrade it recently so it should be current. Also the board and fan are clean. Heck I have had the cover off so much no dust has had time to settle. Now I did set my bios to defaults and got a windows fault error but not the same one I got before. Also any advice on my bios and the settings? I will give you an update soon..........

NDIS is a network driver.............
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

sage19

Actually I meant what bios for the motherboard are you using...
    Before you reset your bios did you record what settings you had?
    I don't have the system with that board in it in front of me and i can't get ahold of it right now so I'll have to think about the settings. Just make sure that USB is still enabled under the bios.
    Have you tried running your system without the modem or sound in it? Since DocPC
    mentioned that NDIS is a network driver you never know.

Talking

I booted the dang thing up today and it worked. Even fooled around with it to try to get some errors and it still worked. Still going to try your suggestions. Also I didn't record the bios settings, I like to do things the hard way :-)and that is the truth.
    As of 5/11/01 here is what is going on. I get fatal errors when I plug in the phone line and speakers and then boot the system. I have tested this several times and it does the same thing every time. With just the phone line plugged in or just the speaker it gives me fatal error as well. So now what the heck is going on. Both the sound card (sound blaster with awe) and the modem (modem blaster 56K) are plugged into the last two ISA slots. The computer works fine just as long as the modem and sound card are not in use.

Thanks,

caamsa