Vehicle technology

Thread: Vehicle technology

Vehicle technology

Here's an off-the-wall technology question....

I was wondering if anyone is aware of who has good AVL (automatic vehicle locating) technology. Basically, it uses GPS to find the car and the cellular service to report it back somewhere (hopefully our intranet server). We'd probably use the remote unlock (etc etc) features at some point.

Internet access via the service is a huge bonus, as some manufacturers offer it. I found some companies by simple yahoo/google searches, but I dont know who is legit, and what is a good product. If you have had any experience with these systems or know whats good, please let me know.

Have a look at this one it works from any of your own systems and needs no monthly charge to work:
    http://www.carbug.co.uk
    http://www.car-bug.com/

• Real Time Data Tracking on a moving map display • UK and Europe full street level mapping available • Full Vehicle History printed reports • Fleet Management Software • Unit stores up to six months history • Position Alarm • Movement Alarm • Geo-Fencing Alarm • In-Car Navigation available • Unique ID for each User/Vehicle • Total security with no third party call centre • Single or multi modem capability • Anti Carjack / Hijack Panic Button available
    Last edited by Archer; December 17th, 2003 at 02:38 PM.

Actually yeh, it's called On-Star. It is installed in almost every new General Motors vehicles. It ties into the vehicle's computer system and they can track where the car is, if the airbag goes off, if the engine quits, if the computer is tripping a Check Engine Light, they can unlock your car, make free phone calls, etc.. It is an really ingenious system.

Phaeton

Quote Originally Posted by Phaeton
    Actually yeh, it's called On-Star....

Phaeton
    ok mr smartguy...how do you get On-Star installed in your 92 ford? He's probably looking for an aftermarket system he can get installed in his current vehicle. I have been looking around for the same thing but have not yet found anyone that sells it nearby so that i can actually see it in action, ex. try before I buy.

OnStar and Lojack are of no use to us. We're not looking for "Help I need directions", we need something very in-line with Computer aided Dispatching, like what most 911 and major taxi services use.

At any minute, we need to be able to hit a website, preferably our own, and say "where is van X"? and have it show up on the map with an ETA to its destination, and be able to reroute it on the fly, send messages, possibly even voice and internet data.

Motorola makes a lot of the components, but I have no experience with these systems, and have never actually worked with it as a whole.

Our vehicle fleet consists of about 90% new (less than 3 years old) Dodge caravans and 10% ford taurus.

Here's the first one I found on Google (in the ads section). http://www.trackyourtruck.com/index.html

There's a number of companies that offer software/services in this area now.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!