Internet explorer doesn't connect to internet

Thread: Internet explorer doesn't connect to internet

Unhappy Internet explorer doesn't connect to internet

AMD Compaq presario 6400 system with 256 ram XP Home Edition. System is connected to a Linksys Router and I can see the router. The DHCP is enabled and I am getting a IP address. I was not connecting to the internet so I ran a partial recovery instructed by Compaq and it ran for a little while but it stopped again when I loaded the drivers for th HP 1200 all in one printer. I ran panda pqremove but no virus was detected and have tried everything. Does anyone have any other smart ideas??? Going to reinstall fresh copy of XP Home Edition again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodtoo
    AMD Compaq presario 6400 system with 256 ram XP Home Edition. System is connected to a Linksys Router and I can see the router. The DHCP is enabled and I am getting a IP address. I was not connecting to the internet so I ran a partial recovery instructed by Compaq and it ran for a little while but it stopped again when I loaded the drivers for th HP 1200 all in one printer. I ran panda pqremove but no virus was detected and have tried everything. Does anyone have any other smart ideas??? Going to reinstall fresh copy of XP Home Edition again.

Ok you mention a router, thats good, but where and what type, make and model is the modem?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Cable modem from local cable company Optonline-Cablevision. Linksys router is regular dsl/cable router not wireless. I am not near it at the moment to give you model number. Router is on the first floor cable to network computer on Second floor traveling about 25 ft.
    Last edited by Rodtoo; December 26th, 2003 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodtoo
    Cable modem from local cable company Optonline-Cablevision. Linksys router is regular dsl/cable router not wireless. I am not near it at the moment to give you model number.

First test would be to connect the cable modem to your pc direct. If it works then your router is mis configured, if it doesn't then its windows giving you a hard time.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    First test would be to connect the cable modem to your pc direct. If it works then your router is mis configured, if it doesn't then its windows giving you a hard time.
    Connected a laptop to the network line and it was no problem connecting to the internet but when I put the Compaq on it no internet. It is not the router. Any suggestions???

err, the compaq was directly connected? Just because the lappie works doesn't mean the desktop will.

You need to do the tests thoroughly, never assume just because one works directly connected the other will.

I can think of a few things...

Do you have some manually configured settings on the desktop like DNS that would keep you from accessing the web (because it cannot resolve names)?

Try accessing a website for which you know the IP: http://www.yahoo.com (66.218.71.198)...

Try plugging the laptop into the router on the same port that you tried the desktop. Maybe a bad port (although I think not since you have a link light and can pull DHCP)?

Try to manually configure your address and see if that work (will force you to look at all of your TCP/IP settings)...

Can you ping the router? Can you ping from the laptop to the desktop and vice versa if both are connected to the router? Can you ping yahoo.com from either? What about the above IP address?
    Following our instinct not a trend, go against the grain until the end.

Try a repair in network connections properties of local area connection support tab.
    Check internet options connections that no proxy is set.
    clear cookies and files.
    If all else fails use winsockxp fix.
    http://www.spychecker.com/download/d...sockxpfix.html

While you're at it go into Internet Options in your control panel, then under the connections tab click on LAN settings and make sure that the use proxy server is not checked. if it is un-check it and try connecting.

Ohhh Futuretech beat me to it
    Last edited by Budster64; January 8th, 2004 at 04:02 PM.
    When cometh the day we lowly ones
    Through quiet reflection and great dedication
    Master the art of karate
    Lo, we shall rise up
    And then we'll make the bugger's eyes water