RAR Video Files

Thread: RAR Video Files

Question RAR Video Files

This video stuff is driving me to drinking! LOL!

I have a RAR video File... I found out that this is a "new" Windows Zipped file. I downloaded and installed WinRAR and proceeded to unzip this video file. I was feeling pretty smart at this point.

Then I tried to play the video and couldn't. LOL!

To top it off, the WinRAR software began to attach itself to other files so I uninstalled it.

I still can't play the video. If I do need to burn it first, how do I get the image and sound to match up? Plus the file split up when I unzipped it.

These RAR files and BIN files may be the New thing, but they aren't as easy as the old way. Media Player and RealOne Player work sooo easy.

[B]How can I simply, or not so simply... watch the video?[/B]

Thanks all!

Red

I'm no expert, and I'm not entirely sure whats happening here,.. but it sounds to me like these could be "video cd" files. They should be unzipped into a folder, then burned to a cd in video cd format to be viewable if thats the case. I think you can use WinZip to unzip *.rar files. I could be wrong though,.. it's been awhile since I've worked with *.rar files. I usually just use *.zip. Anyway...

Btw,.. those are not new file formats just in case you were wondering. And they're not media formats. I'm not sure how to word this so that it's easy to understand,.. but like the *.bin file for instance is one of the files needed to make the media file play correctly. And the *.rar file is a zipped file format. It basically takes many files and puts them in a sort of suitcase to keep them together for portability and compression purposes. When you "unzip" the RAR file,.. it's not splitting up the file,.. it's removing the files from the suitcase and putting them in the correct places so that your video will be able to playback.

Anyway,.. hope this helps a little. Maybe you could tell us a little more about what kinds of files are zipped up in this RAR file you are using? Also,.. when you unzip it,.. if there IS a media file in there it should have a file extension like *.exe, *.avi, *.swf, *.mpg, *.mov, *.ram,.. etc. Look for file extentions like that for the playable video files. Be careful of *.exe files though. Could potentially be harmful if you don't know who they are from.
    Hello World

Rar is a type of compression (like zip). It has nothing to do with video. My only guess is that the rar file had more than one piece (like ra1 ra2 etc). When you have all these pieces winrar will combine them all to create the single file that was compressed inside the archive. What is inside the file if I might ask (like how many files what kind. no names needed). Cheers.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

Quote Originally Posted by WebHead
    I'm no expert, and I'm not entirely sure whats happening here,.. but it sounds to me like these could be "video cd" files. They should be unzipped into a folder, then burned to a cd in video cd format to be viewable if thats the case. I think you can use WinZip to unzip *.rar files. I could be wrong though,.. it's been awhile since I've worked with *.rar files. I usually just use *.zip. Anyway...

Btw,.. those are not new file formats just in case you were wondering. And they're not media formats. I'm not sure how to word this so that it's easy to understand,.. but like the *.bin file for instance is one of the files needed to make the media file play correctly. And the *.rar file is a zipped file format. It basically takes many files and puts them in a sort of suitcase to keep them together for portability and compression purposes. When you "unzip" the RAR file,.. it's not splitting up the file,.. it's removing the files from the suitcase and putting them in the correct places so that your video will be able to playback.

Anyway,.. hope this helps a little. Maybe you could tell us a little more about what kinds of files are zipped up in this RAR file you are using? Also,.. when you unzip it,.. if there IS a media file in there it should have a file extension like *.exe, *.avi, *.swf, *.mpg, *.mov, *.ram,.. etc. Look for file extentions like that for the playable video files. Be careful of *.exe files though. Could potentially be harmful if you don't know who they are from.
    Posting at the same time... gotta love it
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

Quote Originally Posted by Gollo
    Posting at the same time... gotta love it
    LOL

Yeah,.. you make a good point. I totally forgot about how RAR files can be spanned like that. That could be what's going on also. Kinda hard to tell though based on whats been given. Need more info!
    Hello World

If you ended up with a bin and a cue file, then you need to burn it to a cd using the burn from image facility.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    If you ended up with a bin and a cue file, then you need to burn it to a cd using the burn from image facility.
    Translation: what's actually inside the 'rar' ?

Tell us that & we can tell you what to do with it ! (so to speak )

In regards to Winzip, here is a link to an alternative that handles multiple formats.... I havent used this program that extensively but it has potential I think...

http://www.ultimatezip.com/
    W

In my expererience, winrar is notorious for not being backwards compatible. I have had similar issues like this, found the latest version of winrar, and shazaam it works like it should. Maybe this could be your problem. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by WebHead

To the knowledgable and nice techs that took time to help me, THANKS!

I didn't realize until you asked the question, "what's zipped up in this RAR file?"... I hadn't looked at the file for a month, when I found you all... I asked about the problem I had with the RAR file. Now that I am looking back at what was zipped up in that file, I come up with the other problem I've had, all over again.

Anyway, it's a *.BIN and a *.CUE and a couple of JPEG's . Now I have the original problem again. How to get a video that's a *.BIN and a much smaller *.CUE file to become a video that I can actually watch? I've been told to burn it to a CD or DVD, but the *.BIN is a unrecognized file type... and I need to get the audio and video to match up.

So I still haven't figured out how to get Nero or Roxio to burn a disc (that will play in a Media player or a home DVD) in a format that Nero & Roxio doesn't recognize.

What do I do now? To view the unpacked .BIN file as a video?

BTW, you answered my RAR file question very clearly and I really appreciate it!You guys could teach. I like the suitcase explanation. But all were very clear.

May you have a blessed day...

Red

All's you should have to do is copy all the files in the archive to a cd (burn them to a cd). Then in windows media player 9 clik on Play and then VCD or Audio CD and it should play. Also if your dvd player supports it you should be able to play it like a dvd. That's all there is to it. As for extracting the video from a vcd image I'd have to do a little bit of research.

RAR Files

Quote Originally Posted by Gollo
    All's you should have to do is copy all the files in the archive to a cd (burn them to a cd). Then in windows media player 9 clik on Play and then VCD or Audio CD and it should play. Also if your dvd player supports it you should be able to play it like a dvd. That's all there is to it. As for extracting the video from a vcd image I'd have to do a little bit of research.
    Greetings Gollo,

Everyone says that I merely have to burn the files to a CD, one big ??? is burn it as a data file, as a music file, as a mixed CD, as a what?? Not any of the options are expecting a .BIN file. If I choose the wrong one, it won't play as a video (movie). Which do I choose?

It sounds easier than I have found it to be.

Thanks again!

Red

Please read your other thread Redhead. This started as two different questions and is now one question. I am locking this thread since the rar side of things has been answered.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."