Thread: boot Takes long time

boot Takes long time

Wishing all the reader Very Happy & prosperous New Year

BIOS-Info, c't/Andreas Stiller, 10/97

Computer ID : FC, Type : AT
    BIOS Date : 01/03/01
    Award BIOS found : Award Modular BIOS v6.00PGN
    Award ID-String : 01/03/2001-i815E-ITE-6A69RJ1bC-00

Above is my Bios info captureed from CTBOIS utility I have JetWay 815 chipset MOBO

Last one month My PC takes long time to get display & show POST info (more than 5 minute) once all the devices deteted it loads OS at usual speed (which is moderate). I have cleared the CMOS by using jummper setting also changed my battery. but still problem persist
    Need ur help

Have you been to Jetway site?
    ( http://www.jetway.com.tw/evisn/index.html )

Did you try to update the BIOS? (identify your model numbers first, utility from www.hwinfo.com can help you with that)...
    It could be defective BIOS chip ("unknown flash type" message) or chip is flash-protected (in BIOS settings or by jumper)... check it out... and try this - set in BIOS "Reset user configuration data = YES (or "Enable")" , save and reboot... it can help sometimes...

This won't help me

I will explain what happens exactly

if I switch off system & switch it on after 15 minute or more it takes 5 minute or more time to get display & POST

If rebooted immediately after switching it works fine

I tried to boot with just processor pluged in mobo , ram (tried different module & socket), key board & mouse (remaing card & devices removed) but the problem persisit.

is this problem may come due to leaky power supply ?

any comment plz

Power supply could be the cause, also check your motherboard for any capacitors bulging or other damage.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Power supply could be the cause, also check your motherboard for any capacitors bulging or other damage.
    Since it is at least 2 years old (and besides,cheap) motherboard, I would suspect defective capacitors (with swollen tops), as Noo-Noo already said...

And yes,as she also said , it could be also bad power supply and/or defective voltage regulator on the motherboard...

i hate to ask have you looked in msconfig just to see what all is being loading at startup or run pc pitstop, its not that bad of a program to see whats loading at start up plus other stuff it help me get my computer junk free, this may or may not help with what your looking for

Quote Originally Posted by russ
    i hate to ask have you looked in msconfig just to see what all is being loading at startup or run pc pitstop, its not that bad of a program to see whats loading at start up plus other stuff it help me get my computer junk free, this may or may not help with what your looking for
    Nope it won't be ... all this 'delay' is prior to any windoze 'interference' being prior to POST (when it goes beep, before any o/s bootstrap is loaded)

Unhappy

mmmm
    changed my power supply still problem persist.

My problem is My Hardware is not detected ; it takes long time if pc is off for long duration

Should I flash the BIOS ?
    Will this help me ?

I would like to know how the hardware is Detected ?
    When BIOS comes in picture ?

Hope some body will help me

Here's a basic guide on how bios fits in the scheme of things

I thought the first reply on this thread said to flash the bios? anyway if you haven't tried... now seems to be the moment.

Something to check is the jumper on the hard drive. I had a few machines very slow to post, and if I removed the jumper entirely from the hard drive, it would boot much faster. Can't remember the MB type, but it was not very expensive.

Western Digitals....
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

it is done

hi
    Thanks for the Valuable Advice
    problem was due to leaky capacitors .
    now it is working fine