Need manual and info for motherboard - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Need manual and info for motherboard

BTW, where and how did you get ALL your knowledge about mainboards? Anything in particular that you did? Electronics degree or all just hands on, or whatever? Tell me your secret: well, you don't have to...but. I mean I thought I was good, and I have met a whole bunch of really good hardware techs, but none like you. I mean I have been reading/lurking here since 1998 and YOU are the one I remember always reading so I could learn!!! Well anyway, enough buttt kissing (AND it isn't that at all)...what is the secret Rus? And BTW, it seems like the Russians, and Russian websites have an extraordinary expertise with hardware (which is why I wish I could read Russian)! Do you have any explanation for that?

Thank you,
    But you're wrong - I actually do have (or at least did have) few posts in the Tech Lounge ... Never mind... I'm also learning from you guys and girls...
    Last edited by Ruslan; January 10th, 2004 at 02:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    BTW, where and how did you get ALL your knowledge about mainboards? Anything in particular that you did? Electronics degree or all just hands on, or whatever? Tell me your secret: well, you don't have to...but. I mean I thought I was good, and I have met a whole bunch of really good hardware techs, but none like you. I mean I have been reading/lurking here since 1998 and YOU are the one I remember always reading so I could learn!!! Well anyway, enough buttt kissing (AND it isn't that at all)...what is the secret Rus? And BTW, it seems like the Russians, and Russian websites have an extraordinary expertise with hardware (which is why I wish I could read Russian)! Do you have any explanation for that?
    It is a bit off-topic, BTW, but I will answer your questions...

Yes, I actually do have university degree in Radioelectronics (in "Design and Manufacturing of Radioelectronic equipment" to be precisely), and I was working for 6 years as electronic engineer (well, as a chief EE last 3 years )...
    Then I was designing some testing equipment for repairing computer hardware...
    Not everything was bad in the former Soviet Union - professional education (including college and university!) was free of charge... I learned a lot from my teachers at high school, tech camps, and so on... And was not so bad student... So, I was rather lucky... Nowadays it is not so easy...

But here in Canada it is almost impossible to get engineering job just because my diploma "is not issued by canadian university"... well, that's another story...

About "extraordinary expertise" - well, you'll have to be a "professional" in hardware-repairing in the former USSR because of considerably high price of computer hardware comparing with average salary of technician who's fixing it... And this job is still relatively well-paid comparing with other jobs... I used to sucsessfully run my own Computer Service Center (with up to 15 emploees) for 3 years... That's why so many highly educated people are still working in this industry... Very simple explanation... Can you believe what besides PCs,motherboards and HDDs, I was also fixing floppy drives, network cards, modems,videocards, even mice? I guess not so many people in the USA (or Canada) ever were thinking about it considering their low price... Well, I still have fun fixing all these stuffs... not for money - it is sorta hobby, what nevertheless can save few bucks ... but for many people in country I came from it is not a hobby at all...
    I'm only one of few who's regularily posting at Windrivers, but you could see a lot of far more advanced techs at IXBT forums... life is life...

P.S. Sorry for off-topic...

[i]TripleR ... now you know why us 'know alls' defer to Ruslan ... he has an army of his Russian friends hidden away to help him (as well as an Electronics degree), just like the Americans always feared , trouble is... he's on our side ! ...
    Last edited by NooNoo; January 10th, 2004 at 05:51 AM.

Thanks for the info Ruslan

Thanks for joining in on the search for what this motherboard is heh. and WOW at the responses in this post heh. I have no way of knowing how to set what were. I'm motherboard illiterate . I've actually never had to set any motherboard jumpers or anything in particular about settings sept bios. My first computer that I built had a jumperless motherboard (made by the Shuttle Company, never buy a motherboard from them or else you'll be on the phone with a guy named Phil who can't speak english). Or either it's an auto jumper board (shrugs).

About your post about looking for leakage around the CPU paralell port area, there isn't any kind of leakage that I can see. Sorry for the crappy scan, it's the first time ive ever scanned a motherboard. And it's ok to get off subject, chances are I won't be able to follow half the descussion because I don't understand the terminology . Ie FSB?

Years ago I did take a home college course on computer repair from ICS which was then bought out by hartcourt which was then somethnig else and then education direct. Long story short, I learned nothing from this course as it was mainly focused on the windows 98 operating system. I am a certified computer technition if you call a degree from Education direct a way of being certified heh. Doesn't seem as though I have any knowledge about computers does it ?

Thanks for looking for this info, I don't know if the board works or not, the only thing ive found out about it I've told you all here.

Don't take it badly, I am doing a degree course in computers, so far we have looked at 3 motherboards for approximately 5 minutes in an entire semester. However, I do now know how the motherboard buses work.

FSB is Front Side Bus. This has nothing to do Greyhound except that a bus is a method of transport, in this case transporting a signal to another piece of hardware.

The FSB is the speed at which the motherboard operates. This is not to be confused with the speed that the cpu operates.

typical fsbs is 66,100,133,200,266,333,400 etc
    typical cpu speeds are 1.4, 1.6 2.4 etc etc

You then use the fsb and the multiplier to match the cpu. So if you have a 100mhz fsb and say a 400mhz processor the multiplier would be set to 4. Easy right?

Not quite. Processors also come with an fsb rating. So a 100 fsb processor will not work at 133fsb... (it would seriously over clock it - quite literally the speed of the pulses from the clock are too fast).

Its more technical than that, and guys I know its not quite right, but its right enough for scorpwanna here to decide whether he wants to know more or not.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    PII 350 would be 100MHz FSB: 3.5x100 and there were no jumpers that I remember seeing, this one is dip switch. And on DIMM (Dual In line etc) is fine in this case. You're thinking simms probably Adept.
    Listen, I'll PM Ruslan and let's see.
    I was. I just looked oat the way the RAM slots were placed on the MB and got carried away. I stand corrected - thanks for pointing it out.

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    ... now you know why us 'know alls' defer to Ruslan ... he has an army of his Russian friends hidden away to help him (as well as an Electronics degree), just like the Americans always feared , trouble is... he's on our side ! ...
    Not quite... He's on our side, eh!

Score one for Canada!

Truly glad you're here (Canada and WD), Ruslan.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

So like...

Heh well I do know the words, i mean ive heard them used before but I have no idea what exactly they are, do and what not. So like in other words, since I don't know the FSB stuff on the board I shouldn't try to change it yet until i get some sort of reference point?

ok thats easy enough, get a known processor, under say 350mhz p2, bung it in and boot it. If you get an different speed reading, say 333, you know its been set to 66mhz...

As long as you are always under clocking the processor, you should be able to work this out.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpwanna
    Heh well I do know the words, i mean ive heard them used before but I have no idea what exactly they are, do and what not. So like in other words, since I don't know the FSB stuff on the board I shouldn't try to change it yet until i get some sort of reference point?
    We do know this: the CPU you are using is 3.5x100=Pentium II 350. What we don't know yet is how to config the board with the dipswitch on the board. So, let's wait and see what Ruslan's Russian connection reveals.