GAME: MindTrap - Page 369
Page 369 of 379 FirstFirst ... 269 319 359 367 368 369 370 371 ... LastLast
Results 5,521 to 5,535 of 5675

Thread: GAME: MindTrap

Exclamation Question 491 - RESOLVED

Submitted by 3fingersalute:

An explorer wishes to cross the desolate Saandhi Desert on foot.

It will take six days, but any one person can take enough food and water for only four days. Fortunately, the local village can supply him with men who will act as bearers, but they charge 100 pieces of gold per day for their work.

What is the least number of bearers he needs to help him make the journey, and what will it cost him in wages?

On leaving the village. Each person will have four days worth of provisions. At the end of the first day, the first carrier will give 1 days food to the other carrier and the explorer, bringing them both back up to 4 days of provisions. That carrier will then use the last days provision to return to the villiage. The second carrier and explorer will proceed another day, at the end leaving them each with 3 days provisions. The carrier will then give one days provisions to the explorer, bringing him back up to 4 days worth. The carrier will then return to the villiage on the remaining two days of food and water. The explorer will then have enough provisions to make the rest of the trip on his own.
    Last edited by a d e p t; February 16th, 2005 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Deity
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Exclamation Question 492 - RESOLVED

Riddle submitted by Deity:

To unravel me
    You need a key.
    No key that was made by locksmith's hand,
    But a key that only I will understand.
    What am I?

Last edited by a d e p t; February 16th, 2005 at 05:37 PM. Reason: NooNoo
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Exclamation Question 493 - RESOLVED

What kind of dog, found in every country, has legs but never runs?

Last edited by a d e p t; February 16th, 2005 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Matridom

Exclamation Question 494 - RESOLVED

A lady signals to the headwaiter in a restaurant, and says, "There's a
    fly in my tea." The waiter says, "No problem, I will bring you a fresh
    cup of tea."

A few minutes later she shouts, "Get the manager! This is
    the same cup of tea!"

How did she know?

Last edited by a d e p t; February 16th, 2005 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Deity

Quote Originally Posted by a d e p t

cup of tea."

the same cup of tea!"

How did she know?
    She had already put sugar in the tea and could taste it when the waiter brought the cup back.
    A bored admin is a very dangerous person...

cup of tea."

the same cup of tea!"

How did she know?
    she had put sugar in it before... it came back sweet.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Exclamation Question 495 - RESOLVED

A man is waiting in a bus station and overhears another two men's conversation. They must have met after a long time, because they are talking about theirs families.

"I'm an engineer in a big factory and I make good money. I'm marrying this month and because I've got no best man I would like to ask you to be," said the first.

"I would be honoured. I'll bring my family. You know I got married a long time ago and I've got three sons. Let see if you can find their ages."

After a while the first man asks: "Give me a clue!" "Let's see, the youngest one wears a nice pair of red shorts." "Be serious!" "OK, their ages added make the exact noumber of the levels of the building behind you and the product of their ages is 36. Now let see you at work, Mr. Perfect!"

That was all the help given him, but the man's bus arrived and he had to go. However, he was very courious and he tried to find the children's ages, but could not.

Can you help him? There is only one solution.

The main information is that the product of the children'ages is 36. If we consider that a eight-year old boy is no longer a child we can accept those solutions: (1,1,36), (1,2,18), (1,3,12), (1,4,9), (1,6,6), (2,2,9), (2,3,6), (3,3,4). But not all of these are correct. The question states that the youngest child wears shorts and this infers that the child is likely older than a year old. Also, the question doesn't allow for twins (there is a youngest child). If we consider this the solutions remaining is: (2,3,6).
    Last edited by a d e p t; February 16th, 2005 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Matridom

I'll check answers and give out points tomorrow.

Tomorrow will most likely be the last installment to reach 500 questions too.

What kind of dog, found in every country, has legs but never runs?
    A dead one?
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    WD Black 750 gig
    Lots of fans

A man is waiting in a bus station and overhears another two men's conversation. They must have met after a long time, because they are talking about theirs families.

"I'm an engineer in a big factory and I make good money. I'm marrying this month and because I've got no best man I would like to ask you to be," said the first.

"I would be honoured. I'll bring my family. You know I got married a long time ago and I've got three sons. Let see if you can find their ages."

After a while the first man asks: "Give me a clue!" "Let's see, the youngest one wears a nice pair of red shorts." "Be serious!" "OK, their ages added make the exact noumber of the levels of the building behind you and the product of their ages is 36. Now let see you at work, Mr. Perfect!"

That was all the help given him, but the man's bus arrived and he had to go. However, he was very courious and he tried to find the children's ages, but could not.

Can you help him? There is only one solution.
    2 - 3 - 6
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    WD Black 750 gig
    Lots of fans

It will take six days, but any one person can take enough food and water for only four days. Fortunately, the local village can supply him with men who will act as bearers, but they charge 100 pieces of gold per day for their work.

What is the least number of bearers he needs to help him make the journey, and what will it cost him in wages?
    Two people and 600 gold.

On leaving the village. Each person will have four days worth of provisions. At the end of the first day, the first carrier will give 1 days food to the other carrier and the explorer, bringing them both back up to 4 days of provisions. That carrier will then use the last days provision to return to the villiage. The second carrier and explorer will proceed another day, at the end leaving them each with 3 days provisions. The carrier will then give one days provisions to the explorer, bringing him back up to 4 days worth. The carrier will then return to the villiage on the remaining two days of food and water. The explorer will then have enough provisions to make the rest of the trip on his own.
    Last edited by Deity; February 15th, 2005 at 06:23 PM.
    A bored admin is a very dangerous person...

4 bearers * 8 days (includes return trips) * 100 = 3,200 gold

Bearer # Days Stockpile Why
    1 & 2 ->1 6
    1 & 2 <-1 3 bearer 1 & 2 take 3 back with them
    3 & 4 & E ->1 0 bearer 3,4 & E restock (carying 12)
    3 & 4 & E -->2 9 3 used on day 2
    3 & 4 <--2 4 bearers 3 & 4 take 5 back with them
    E ------>6 0 E carrys on from day 2 fully provisioned

doh! stupid me i knew i was toteing to much back!
    Last edited by RejectionMan; February 15th, 2005 at 06:38 PM.