Wbsite set up

Thread: Wbsite set up

Website set up

I want to set up my own website at home and want to know what is the best thing to use to host or serve it with. I have a server running Server 2003 Standard. Is there something out there that is fairly straight forward in it's set up compared to IIS 6 that comes with 2003 or does someone know of some good sites that have information on IIS that will show a newbie like me how to do it. Also, I would be interested in doing FTP too.
    Last edited by chenrysjr; February 1st, 2004 at 08:47 PM.

You probably wont get to many responses here as this has nothing to do with programing. Try asking in the Tech to tech fourm. Cheers.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

Website

I want to set up my own website at home and want to know what is the best thing to use to host or serve it with. I have a server running Server 2003 Standard. Is there something out there that is fairly straight forward in it's set up compared to IIS 6 that comes with 2003 or does someone know of some good sites that have information on IIS that will show a newbie like me how to do it. Also, I would be interested in doing FTP too.

If you're interested in patching the server on a weekly basis use IIS. Otherwise try Apache HTTP (http://www.apache.org); while the best out there, it's virtually maintenance-free. For FTP there are many choices out there, I like WAR FTP (http://www.jgaa.com) and SERV-U FTP (but this one is not free).
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee
    If you're interested in patching the server on a weekly basis use IIS..

We seem to be assuming self-hosting ... what's wrong with using the ISPs own services ?

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed

We seem to be assuming self-hosting ... what's wrong with using the ISPs own services ?
    Errrr... not all ISP's offer hosting services??? Desire to learn???
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

I just figured 'at home' this is kind of jumping in the deep end ?, but I forget that outside the uk web hosting & ftp space are less common, most have it here. - So when I think about hosting I think about companies not folks !

A confus-ed perspective

Moved to 2k3
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by chenrysjr

well since its m$ all your support will be in books
    FYI: if you use IIS, make sure you get all the updates and always check once a month for them

chen its quite easy to setup iis to run your website and ftp, however, its even easier to catch every virus going as a result. Make sure you patch your 2k3 installation before you put anything on there at all.

this goes through the basic setup
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Is this not a duplicate ? ... I'm sure I answered one pretty much the same ?

So I'm confus-ed again

Here it is :-
    Website (in 95/98 forum!)

So I'm not confus-ed ... hang on I am !

Merged !

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Merged !
    Now you did confuse me ! So now its a confus-ed thread !