Winodws server 2003 will Freez when I go over a dropdown menue using my mouse

Thread: Winodws server 2003 will Freez when I go over a dropdown menue using my mouse

Question Winodws server 2003 will Freez when I go over a dropdown menue using my mouse

Winodws server 2003 will Freez when I go over a dropdown menue using my mouse(not using my keyboard). My friend has the same problem did anyone else have that problem if so let me know what you did to fix it.

Thank you very much

Welcome to Windrivers bj97301

Usb or ps2 mouse?
    Make and model of mouse?
    Does it do it in safe mode?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

i found out what it was

[QUOTE=NooNoo]Welcome to Windrivers bj97301

Thanks for the warm welcome

I found out what it was. I had old drivers for my nvidia videocard that worked for xp but not for srever 2003. So I went to windows update and got my drivers (I dont ever go to windows update and do my drivers because the drivers suck balls except this time) and it worked.

thanks anyways

Glad you got it fixed.

If anyone else is having a similar problem, something else that can cause that exact same behavior is changing the ShowMenuDelay in the registry to 0. Setting it to 40 will resolve it.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffO93
    Glad you got it fixed.

If anyone else is having a similar problem, something else that can cause that exact same behavior is changing the ShowMenuDelay in the registry to 0. Setting it to 40 will resolve it.
    Thanks Jeff. How about the "exact" location in the registry for future reference. A why would help as well.

I got the key name wrong. Not "ShowMenuDelay".
    It's here:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
    MenuShowDelay
    I have my XP machine set to "8" and my Server 2003 set to 40 and can't tell the difference (the number is in milliseconds). Setting it to 40 is safest.