Drunk Computer!!! - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Drunk Computer!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    Wow, no wonder this one is a nightmare for you -ed. You have certainly tryed sooo many things..
    I'm hanging on for some tickets to sweeden I figure this has seen off every suggestion known to mankind ! & the only answer is for me to pop over & scare it into behaving !

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    I'm hanging on for some tickets to sweeden I figure this has seen off every suggestion known to mankind ! & the only answer is for me to pop over & scare it into behaving !
    If that were the case, I would recommend stringing this along until the summer time then. I hear it gets pretty cold over there during the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    Get on that Ryanair & come on over for a cup of tea & try scaring my PC... we´ll do it together!! We´ll do a trick or treat on the poor bastard till it gives in....

To answer TripleRLtd, I get hangsup/freezes (no reboots) on all kind of actions, downloading files, marking files in explorer, "doing defragmentation", using media player and sometimes just moving the mouse but more likely when I put some pressure on the system.
    I ran Hijack again & this is the log
    Running processes:
    D:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    D:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    D:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    D:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    D:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    D:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    D:\Program\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe
    D:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    D:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    D:\Program\Delade filer\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    D:\Program\Delade filer\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
    D:\Program\Delade filer\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
    D:\Program\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    D:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
    D:\Program\Speed Disk\nopdb.exe
    D:\Program\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
    E:\Program & Drivers\Programs\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.se/
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName = Länkar
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - D:\Program\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: CCHelper - {0CF0B8EE-6596-11D5-A98E-0003470BB48E} - D:\Program\Panicware\Pop-Up Stopper Pro\CCHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - D:\Program\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - D:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - D:\Program\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Pa&nicware Pop-Up Stopper Pro - {B1E741E7-1E77-40D4-9FD8-51949B9CCBD0} - D:\Program\Panicware\Pop-Up Stopper Pro\popuppro.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SmcService] D:\Program\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe -startgui
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE D:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "D:\Program\Delade filer\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "D:\Program\Delade filer\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Advanced Tools Check] D:\Program\NORTON~1\AdvTools\ADVCHK.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] D:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xportera till Microsoft Excel - res://D:\Program\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: Referensinformation (HKLM)
    O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/s...sh/swflash.cab

One more thing Graphic card is firmly in the slot & the monitor is firmly plugged into the card but sometimes there is no out-put signal to monitor & I gotta just touch the cable for it to work. I´ll try out disabeling the Cache & be back with results later but now I gotta turn in....Im all -out
    Last edited by 486x; February 15th, 2004 at 02:53 PM.

Rather tha edit my post again I'll supply the following. Looking at the manual for your mb go into bios setup and in "Advanced Bios Features" disable "cpu internal cache" and "external cache" . You can also try the "Fail Safe" defaults. Run that way for a day or so and see what happens.

Rather tha edit my post again I'll supply the following. Looking at the manual for your mb go into bios setup and in "Advanced Bios Features" disable "cpu internal cache" and "external cache" . You can also try the "Fail Safe" defaults. Run that way for a day or so and see what happens.
    Hejsan!! Windows couldnt load when the Cache was disabled so I tryed fail safe but still got those random freezes which I start to like, me & a friends are betting on when & how it will hang!!! heheh I won most so far well its making money for me but.....it needs to be fixed. Although Im upgrading to Asus Asus A7V600-X MoBo in a few weeks I wanna pin down this "@¤&#!&?)$&/ problem. Dont remember if I mentioned that sometimes there is no signal out to the monitor & I have to take the cable out & reinsert it to the Graphic card & then the monitor turns on...its not the graphic card cause its the same problem with differnt cards...

Unhappy

sorry i've not been around for a while.
    my step dad is in critical care (life support, the works)

reading through the recent posts and noticed that you mentioned the picture on the tv was black and white and flickering, i have this problem with an old ati 8meg mobility card and windows xp. for some reason it will NOT allow me to set it to pal, and on my tv NTSC just black and white flickering fast. with all the probs you've had i'd scrap the mobo it's either failing or incompatable with something else. could be the bus multiplier on the cpu which is FSB 133 really but multiplied similar to the old dx and dx2 486 computers had there internall clocks multiplied. for every tick of the mobo 2 streams of bits are sent to the cpu instead of 1 stream, i.e 2x multiplier changing the 133 to 266. if anyone knows how to set windows xp to pal for tv out i would like to find out. ohh with the ati drivers you can set it to pal but windows blue screens and restarts, and there is no option for the format in the wdm driver. if the monitor fails to detect a signal it could be the agp slot is faulty have you tried a pci card, when you plug the cable back in you will inadvertantly move the card in the agp slot virtually impossible not to. i know its not much help but just that i've had same prob, anyway i'm waffaling so i'll cya.

i think nforce 2 ultra 400 is best new chipset although watch out for the usbs. the via usb chipset keeps getting stuck on these board and microsoft have note saying the via revelution 5 or later chipset are NOT FULLY supported under win 2k or XP. so keep eye out for this digi cams and hp printers nightmare on these chips. work on hp help line digital imaging. i'm off again so i'll say good by for now.

Quote Originally Posted by RossJacks
    Hejsan!! Windows couldnt load when the Cache was disabled so I tryed fail safe but still got those random freezes which I start to like, me & a friends are betting on when & how it will hang!!! heheh I won most so far well its making money for me but.....it needs to be fixed. Although Im upgrading to Asus Asus A7V600-X MoBo in a few weeks I wanna pin down this "@¤&#!&?)$&/ problem. Dont remember if I mentioned that sometimes there is no signal out to the monitor & I have to take the cable out & reinsert it to the Graphic card & then the monitor turns on...its not the graphic card cause its the same problem with differnt cards...
    I still have a bad feeling about that MB. One time try unchecking "external cache" in bios but leaving "cpu internal" cache checked. Since you say that the CPU is fine, let it use it's own cache. With just the external unchecked, windows should be able to load, Me thinks once you get that new board all should be better, but, yeah, let's figure if this one is bad or not.

Good to have you back Sean!
    I also think that the AGP port is damaged or something, havent been able to try a PCI card bucause but I have had the same problem with 3 different cards soo its either the AGP slot or the monitor cable but that seems ok & no pins are damaged. The last thing Im gonna try is turning off external cache like TripleRLtd suggested & see what goes on then...but I guess we all know that the MoBo needs to Rest In Pieces..
    Im gonna settle with the Asus A7V600-X board cause Im getting it really cheap & since I only have a USB mouse so far so I think Im clear of the possible USB problems of the VIA chipset Thanks anyway..any thoughts on suitable Memory type!? Be back with report on the Mobo soon
    Peace to Grease!

just quickly checked this board on asus site. looks good using the new kt600 chip. one thing i noticed, no mention of duel memory bandwidth. odd for a new board may just not be mentioned on specs. the kt 600 chip supports it but wether the board can? if you know the board supports it make sure to get 2 sticks of ram( same speed, size, and manufacturer). i looked at the tested modules and suprisingly didn't see any crucial sticks there. i have found that crucial is more robust than most manufactures modules, dropped many on carpets, stood on them ect, and still not lost one, kingston i find not very compatatble and very pricy. get something like TwinMos, and get two sticks just in case. obviuosly the size depends on funds, but you'll not see any astonishing speed increase after 768meg so no need to get the full 3gig, maybe two 512meg sticks. and i'd get the pc3200 or pc2700 don't bother with anything slower on this board. the pc 2700 is'nt much slower in practical use only benchmarcks were you can see the benefit of all those extra £££££'s, personally i'd get two 512mg pc2700 crucial sticks. most cost effective solution getting fast performance with "most bang for your buck". the site i buy from are www.morgancomputers.co.uk great for larg recond monitors(21" crt £117 inc vat) and www.ebuyer.co.uk hope these help cya, step dad getting better he's of the sedative now. he grips your hand so you know he knows your there now looking hopefull.

I still have a bad feeling about that MB. One time try unchecking "external cache" in bios but leaving "cpu internal" cache checked. Since you say that the CPU is fine, let it use it's own cache. With just the external unchecked, windows should be able to load, Me thinks once you get that new board all should be better, but, yeah, let's figure if this one is bad or not.
    Computer froze just like before with only external cache disabled. Im just longing to get the new board. But Im hoping that it is the Mobo which is...

Problem Solved!!!!
    I hunted down the problem & by that I mean I hunted down the problem & went on his arse....
    Seems that a friend of mine who cant leave other peoples computers alone had (after I installed a frech win xp) downloaded & installed a Cumulilative Security update for win xp. Since I thought I had frech OS I didnt bother checking the uninstall menu....& thus excluded Software Issue..
    I have been running the system for a few days without a single freeze & glitch.
    I can assure you guys he wont come near my pc or even me for quite a while now also that I wont install any updats or patches from "#@!"$%& Microsoft.
    Thx a bunch for all the help lads

Quote Originally Posted by RossJacks
    Problem Solved!!!!
    also that I wont install any updats or patches from "#@!"$%& Microsoft.
    I don't know if I would do that. Those patches will protect you from far more problems than they will cause. Did you try re-installing that patch? Maybe it was just a corrupt download or something.

Quote Originally Posted by meatwad
    I don't know if I would do that. Those patches will protect you from far more problems than they will cause. Did you try re-installing that patch? Maybe it was just a corrupt download or something.
    Well that patch caused random freezes whenever about some 15-20 freezes a day so I wont try it again whatever it protects me from....rather have a guy hack in & launch missiles via my PC than have those damn freezes...well maybe not.
    My PC was working fine for couple years without those darn updates & SP but it started go crazy on me when I patched it etc.. so thx but no thx