Drunk Computer!!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Drunk Computer!!!

Drunk Computer!!!

Hi!
    I have recently experienced alot of random problems with the computer & latest was http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=55560 among http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=55033, http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=55393, freezups & shutdowns & some other problems, I just feel the "computer is drunk" problems with liver, brain memory & all you can imagine!
    I didnt have these problems for like 2months ago, then I installed a new CPU & updated the BIOS! could it be that the BIOS version is making the system instable!? cause it doesnt feel like a software prob since I reinstalled the OS several times to no avail!!

Have you checked Matsonic to see if there is a newer one? What bios version are you currently running. Have you considered going back a version?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Have you checked Matsonic to see if there is a newer one? What bios version are you currently running. Have you considered going back a version?
    I have the latest BIOS version from the Matsonic homepage "020904" & Im thinking about goin back to the version which I had for about 1 year & then the PC was running fine but I just wanted to exclude every other possibilites causing this instability before flashing the old BIOS! But personally Im hoping that its the BIOS causing some of these problems.

You've had this to bits a few times for various things ... perhaps re-check your work carefully ? no offence ... but human & all !

Until you go back one level of bios you're always going to have your doubts. I would suggest re-flashing it now, and at least you'll know one way or another if that was the cause. Otherwise no matter what you do you will always have that little nag in the back of your mind that the problem will still be there.
    There's no panic like the panic you momentarily feel when you've got
    your hand or head stuck in something

Quote Originally Posted by gazzak
    Until you go back one level of bios you're always going to have your doubts. I would suggest re-flashing it now, and at least you'll know one way or another if that was the cause. Otherwise no matter what you do you will always have that little nag in the back of your mind that the problem will still be there.
    I went back to my old bios & now Im able to use the DVD burner. But...there is always a but.. I get random freezups mostly when using Media player or Nero. Recently I did a memory test & found out that one of the memory sticks were errant so I took it out & ran the test only having my 512 stick = 0 errors. Since now it just freezes I thought the 512 stick also could be errant but no errors found with memorytest.

which os? if 2k or xp, what does the event viewer have to say?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by RossJacks
    I went back to my old bios & now Im able to use the DVD burner. But...there is always a but.. I get random freezups mostly when using Media player or Nero. Recently I did a memory test & found out that one of the memory sticks were errant so I took it out & ran the test only having my 512 stick = 0 errors. Since now it just freezes I thought the 512 stick also could be errant but no errors found with memorytest.
    Just skipping past Noo's questions for a moment

In this situation I'd be off trying smaller sticks of memory - unless - I was 100% that my motherboard supported them & that particular brand at that speed ... 'experience' says the bigger the stick the more 'iffy' it can get under load ... many, many motherboards are 'twiddled' to take 512 sticks, when often they were 'really' designed for 256 ones, tiny bits of voltage & nano seconds get very important the further you push your kit...

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    which os? if 2k or xp, what does the event viewer have to say?
    Im running WinXP & if by event viewer you mean the log under administrative tools there is nothing to see about the freeze ups! It feels like a memory fault but memory checked out fine with no errors at all.

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    Just skipping past Noo's questions for a moment

In this situation I'd be off trying smaller sticks of memory - unless - I was 100% that my motherboard supported them & that particular brand at that speed ... 'experience' says the bigger the stick the more 'iffy' it can get under load ... many, many motherboards are 'twiddled' to take 512 sticks, when often they were 'really' designed for 256 ones, tiny bits of voltage & nano seconds get very important the further you push your kit...
    Ive been running with a 512 & a 256 stick for about more that a year with no problem & the motherboard has handled them well, now the 256 was cooked by CPU fan so it left the 512 which have been working fine & there are no errors on it. However when I use sisoft sandra it says maximum installable memory 256mb/slot but the 512 has been working fine for a long time so I guess the MoBo can handle a big stick!

Update: I have a A4Tech GreatEye optical mouse which I can both have in Serial or USB port. I have had it plugged into the Serial at the moment & the mouse functions properly. I have Used the USB port before but for some reason I had changed. Now I tryed connecting it to the USB port but I cannot move the mouse. Windows recognises the device & installs the drivers but after reboot I cannot move the cursor! same in both USB ports!
    Last edited by 486x; February 4th, 2004 at 04:13 PM.

I noticed that I had recently installed the VIAHyperion4in1v4.51 & before that I had VIA 4in1 version 4.43 installed when the Pc was running smoothly! After reading a bit at via´s webpage I noticed that the 4.51 was mostly recommended for K7 chipsets: KT400, KT400A, KT600. Since I have KT133 I went back to 4.43 & the USP ports are working & the PC hasent shutdown or frozen yet (Knock on wood)!!
    Is it possible that the VIAHyperion4in1v4.51 drivers which made the system instable!?

I think the answer to that might be ... if it ain't broke - don't fix it

Quote Originally Posted by Via Arena
    It is not necessary to update VIA Hyperion 4in1 drivers if your system is stable.
    Same with your bios ... its kept us busy though !

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    I think the answer to that might be ... if it ain't broke - don't fix it

Same with your bios ... its kept us busy though !
    True true! Somethings gotta keep you guys busy but now you can take a well deserved break! Cheers

Oh Boy I thought I was passed this freezing Problem but noooo. I have had a few more freezes but not as frequent as before though. I noticed that the memory is consumed very fast & there is very little memory left when running ex DC++ or Media Player, most of memory is in systemcache & I think thats when it freezes. In the systemproperties, advanced options for performance (memory usage) you can choose best performance for either program or SystemCache!? which is better to have!? now its marked for best performance for program.

Quote Originally Posted by RossJacks
    Oh Boy I thought I was passed this freezing Problem but noooo. I have had a few more freezes but not as frequent as before though. I noticed that the memory is consumed very fast & there is very little memory left when running ex DC++ or Media Player, most of memory is in systemcache & I think thats when it freezes. In the systemproperties, advanced options for performance (memory usage) you can choose best performance for either program or SystemCache!? which is better to have!? now its marked for best performance for program.
    Oh man its back to haunt me !!!

This question I can definately answer, don't get your hopes up ! I mean this bit :-

"..you can choose best performance for either program or SystemCache!? which is better to have!? .."

If your beast doesn't do any file serving (so sharing) generally it'd be better to allow programmes most ... but its not doing the 'crashing' with this setting - this 'decides' on how processes are managed within 'memory' (so that includes swap & paging files) - this setting 'influences' whats kept in virtual memory & what has to be re-fetched, giving priority to keeping stuff you are running, rather than any 'background' work.

How can there be very little memory left ? Have you turned off virtual memory ? Windows memory management just keeps 'eating your disk' using swap file (disk space) to accomodate whatever processes until it needs less or runs out of space..