Single channel or Dual channel???

Thread: Single channel or Dual channel???

Single channel or Dual channel???

Hello friends,

My memory is not working in dual mode.... as it should be...what have i done (not done) to couse such "mistake"

My mobo: Asus p4p8x (DDR, dual compatible)...865P Intel chipset
    Indentical 2x256 DDR Kingston 400Mhz, pc3200, dimm 3-3-3 (kvr400x64c3a/256 in Blue slots
    Processor...2,6GHZ Pentium Intel (800 Fsb)..

On boot receive message ..........Single or Virtual channel......

HELP PLEASE!!!!!

WIN2k..SP4

p.s. What does ICH 5 stands for..(says on the mobo "ICH5 performs best with 865P")

Quote Originally Posted by rebekic
    Hello friends,

My memory is not working in dual mode.... as it should be...what have i done (not done) to couse such "mistake"

My mobo: Asus p4p8x (DDR, dual compatible)...865P Intel chipset
    Indentical 2x256 DDR Kingston 400Mhz, pc3200, dimm 3-3-3 (kvr400x64c3a/256 in Blue slots
    Processor...2,6GHZ Pentium Intel (800 Fsb)..

On boot receive message ..........Single or Virtual channel......

HELP PLEASE!!!!!

WIN2k..SP4

p.s. What does ICH 5 stands for..(says on the mobo "ICH5 performs best with 865P")
    I seem to recall this having to do with manual overclocking the cpu or possilby manually setting the memory timing. Have you done either of those? Here's a thread.

http://forums.windrivers.com/showthr...l+channel+mode
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

So..
    Here are some of the key features of ICH/5:

Support for two Serial ATA channels in the core logic. For users interested in moving to Serial ATA hard drives, the SCATA channels connect above the PCI bus, and won't be bottlenecked by PCI. The full 150MB/sec capability of the standard should be available, along with simpler and more compact cabling.
    Support for Serial ATA RAID 0. This is "soft" RAID, and requires a driver from Intel. Also, only RAID 0 is available. Even with the caveat that the RAID processing is host-based, users should see improved disk throughput. Intel representatives were clear that the ICH5 RAID implementation would offer better performance than Windows XP's standard soft RAID option.
    Up to eight USB 2.0 ports (two more than the six available for the older ICH4 hub).
    Parallel ATA hasn't vanished; the usual primary and secondary IDE ports still exist, as well as a low pin count interface to Super I/O for legacy devices such as PS/2 keyboards, mice and floppy drives.
    The audio subsystem hasn't changed much, although Intel will support more advanced codecs, such as the Analog Devices AD1985, which offers a degree of autodetection for the right type of connection, be it speakers, microphone, or headphones.
    Last edited by confus-ed; February 7th, 2004 at 11:54 AM.

Make sure you have the memory sticks in the correct banks. Look at your manual and see which banks/slots the memory sticks need to be in in order to get Dual.

Quote Originally Posted by Da-Rock
    Make sure you have the memory sticks in the correct banks. Look at your manual and see which banks/slots the memory sticks need to be in in order to get Dual.
    Yeah I think his reference to 'blue slots' might be this ...

BTW ... your Sig is Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long !

Thanks for answering guys.....

I checked my manual and i must say that i did everything as it should be....blue slots (a1 and b1)...any other advice

btw....i dont use serial ATA....i am on good all 7200.......

Didi not oveclock either

best,

Theses boards are very 'picky' about just what will go at double ddr especially when you are talking about it being 400 - this is not at all uncommon - many boards don't want to work with 'stock' ddr400 never mind at double rate

There's a list on this link @asus for your board which they very 'helpfully' label as
    DDR400 Memory Qualified Vender List (Overclocking)
    but I think that's a mistake ... I think that's the exhaustive list of what WILL run with the board CURRENTLY & correctly ...

So either swap out your memory for some thats 'tested' to work or sit back & wait for a bios update for the board to actually do what it claims it can !

I must agree with you 100%...........one thing i noticed that in my mobo manual it mentions that ,y memory is suported but here (on asus site) it does not...strange......in any case ....if you could inform me what is the difrerence in dual/single mode....is the difference drastic ??

Tanks a lot confus-ed a to others!!!

I must agree with you 100%...........one thing i noticed that in my mobo manual it mentions that ,y memory is suported but here (on asus site) it does not...strange......in any case ....if you could inform me what is the difrerence in dual/single mode....is the difference drastic ??

Tanks a lot confus-ed a to others!!!
    You are welcome ...It would indeed be 'nice' if manufacturers provided clear consistent info

The difference in speed is 'theorectically' 50% ! - but thats on the memory bus transfers (Northbridge) - 'generally' its never 'full' so 'at a guess' (my - there's lots of 'stuff' in quotes in this 'explanation' - I use quotes for words not to be taken litterally ) - IMHO it'll make overall about '15%' difference in performance of the two setups (so dual channel working/NOT) - it'll 'particulary' make a difference whenever you have the memory bus under 'severe' load for example at boot or when playing games or doing lots of video work - but pretty much anytime the machine is 'pressed'....

heh...thanks for the info (again )...since the difference is obvious ill try to contact asus and see what they say.....for the third time........report to you later...knowledge is gold