Windows XP OEM question....
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Windows XP OEM question....

Windows XP OEM question....

I am going to be putting together a system for a friend.

I saw this on Pricewatch... and saw this and this.

The plan was to use the CD from the first link and create an unattended install disk with a COA from one of the other two links.

Would this be all kosher and cool legal wise?
    If it aint broke, TWEAK it!
    When in doubt, throw it out!!

I am going to tell you what I tell everyone that asks these questions...if it looks too good to be true, it almost surely is. Call 1800 RU-LEGIT (Microsoft’s piracy hotline) and get there input to be a little surer.

Bottom line, if you have a customer willing to pay, don't try to save them money by distributing questionable licenses/software. Find a reputable reseller, that deals in legitimate transitions, and stick with them. As it is, you aren't saving them much money to go with these routes for the COA, so why stretch it...

Quote Originally Posted by Ya_know
    I am going to tell you what I tell everyone that asks these questions...if it looks too good to be true, it almost surely is. Call 1800 RU-LEGIT (Microsoft?s piracy hotline) and get there input to be a little surer.

Bottom line, if you have a customer willing to pay, don't try to save them money by distributing questionable licenses/software. Find a reputable reseller, that deals in legitimate transitions, and stick with them. As it is, you aren't saving them much money to go with these routes for the COA, so why stretch it...
    So with him buying his own COA and me providing the system builder CD and creating an unattended install CD from that, that don't sound kosher?

It does sound in THEORY like it would be legit and kosher.... but I was curious if anyone has ran across something like this before.

Well it's my understanding ( which may very well be wrong ) that you need to buy hardware with an oem copy. ANd no a power cord like some of these places do is not hardware.... I believe it must be a motherboard and/or processor or at least a hard drive. Again not real clear on it but it sure sounds fishy to me! Like Ya-know said if you want to be sure it's legit call their number.
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

Quote Originally Posted by Tazdrummer
    So with him buying his own COA and me providing the system builder CD and creating an unattended install CD from that, that don't sound kosher?

It does sound in THEORY like it would be legit and kosher.... but I was curious if anyone has ran across something like this before.
    The question is not whether it is legit on your end, but on the end of the reseller. If he is breaking the law, any money you spend on his product is lost if the product needs to be confiscated.

It becomes a liability if you get the stuff form the less than reputable situations. The MS rep I spoke with said 90% of these sales are bogus. I think he was trying to blow some smoke, but the bottom line is that in a pinch, you will lose out on at minimum the product, and the price paid. And what if this product won't activate correctly, or you can't load the SP's, after spending $59 on it? You will be in the same boat as if MS pulled it our of your hands directly.

Ultimately, the decision is up to you, and this may be a legit company. I am just saying, stay on the side of caution, and you will have a lot less to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Ya_know
    And what if this product won't activate correctly, or you can't load the SP's, after spending $59 on it?
    That is why I am trying to figure this out first. Its called "research".

I found some where it was the OEM CD and COA for about $80.

Just covering bases and checking twice. Didn't know if anyone else has experienced this.

Let me tell you what a dumb thing I did trying to save money.

I got a coa number from ebay with the packaging and all, no cd.

I thought I could use my retail disk and then plug in the coa number and it would be legal.

Wrong.

So I wasted about 20

I went to a small computer store that I deal with. I had just bought a motherboard/ cpu/ and memory. I was building a new computer(that's why I needed another operating system.

They were nice enought to load windows in and use my coa number to get a working system.
    They ran norton ghost to give me a copy of my hard drive.
    But I have changed some hardware since and they said that would cause Norton ghost not to restore correctly.

Bottom line. I have an operating system with no cd. I will just have to buy a retail version to have a backup copy. So, once I have to reload it will cost about 100 to get a retail version of XP.

LIKE THEY SAID.. BE CAREFUL.......

In one of the really, really Blue states.
    Well it's my understanding ( which may very well be wrong ) that you need to buy hardware with an oem copy. ANd no a power cord like some of these places do is not hardware.... I believe it must be a motherboard and/or processor or at least a hard drive

I remember seeing on the MS site a specific example of selling an oem windows with a mouse and it said that was legal.
    I also read on the MS site that buying a coa alone by itself is considered suspicious and that if the coa turns out to be bogus you cannot claim that it is not your fault but the fault of the company selling it to you. If you buy a regular windows oem with all the standard materials (cd, booklet, coa) and it turns out to be bogus you are protected since you can claim "good faith" and that you had no reason to suspect it was bogus.

As far as I know the OEM Pre-Installation Kit does not come with Windows. Its just tools to use on Windows. It lets you Rebrand/change what the initial setup does/or adds your own registration program/lets you setup Windows, install drivers for your hardware, then strip the Key so the user has to enter it etc. You will still need a copy of Windows XP. See http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hwdev/...stall/OPK.mspx

OEM OS sales must be with non-peripheral hardware or installed on a new computer. COA sales scare the crap out of me. At one time MS had a program where you could buy COA for, say Office 97 Pro, and then get the CD for a discount. I had a wholesaler who participated in the program until one day MS filed suit on them alleging that, in a one year period during which the company sold about one thousand licenses a month, two (yes 2 as in 1+1=) of the licenses were counterfeit.

The suit was thrown out of court because it was ruled that the court where the suit was filed had no jurisdiction to hear the case. Three years later, Microsoft refiled the suit in a different court. The distributor fought the suit for some time, but eventually, legal costs were bankrupting the business, and the owners were forced to sell out ofter something like 20 years in operation. During the course of the litigation, I had to file several depositions since I had resold one of the licenses in question and it was not a fun experience.

Quote Originally Posted by charlescpc

Bottom line. I have an operating system with no cd. I will just have to buy a retail version to have a backup copy. So, once I have to reload it will cost about 100 to get a retail version of XP.

LIKE THEY SAID.. BE CAREFUL.......
    You can buy the win xp cd without a licencse, a media kit, we sell them for about 30$.

//Mr T
    I read your e-mail........

this is the quote from the microsoft anti-piracy hotline:

Microsoft's Anti-Piracy Hotline: Helping Honest Resellers and Their Customers

What do you do when your local retailer is selling Windows 2000 for a fourth of the original price?

How about when you suspect one of your competitors to be distributing illegitimate software?

Or when you see a Web site offering Certificate of Authenticity (COA) labels without software?
    The answer is easy—you contact Microsoft's Anti-Piracy Hotline at (800) RU-LEGIT (785-3448).
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Registered User SnowBlindGrafix's Avatar
    Best bet - spend the money for an upgrade or a full version.
    You will save money in the long run!

And if you are unable to activate your OEM install of XP you are looking at more problems and phone time with Microsoft than I would be willing to invest! If your customer has problems and tries to get support from Microsoft they will have to pay! $$$ No free support for OEM installs from Microsoft.

:butt:

Quote Originally Posted by SnowBlindGrafix
    Best bet - spend the money for an upgrade or a full version.
    You will save money in the long run!

And if you are unable to activate your OEM install of XP you are looking at more problems and phone time with Microsoft than I would be willing to invest! If your customer has problems and tries to get support from Microsoft they will have to pay! $$$ No free support for OEM installs from Microsoft.

:butt:
    I can understand playing it safe. I got no prob with that. I was curious if someone had experienced what I was intending.

Apparently not. Fine.

I was trying to make sure it was either 1) something someone has done before without a problem or 2) a legit way to save a little money.

It seems like everyone is almost saying "How dare you try to save money! Spend the extra money." If you all got the money to throw away without trying to find a bargain or a nice deal, I need to get a job wherever you work.

Since no one seemed to give the answer I was looking for or expected, I had the guy order the Windows XP Home OEM from New Egg for $92 (as long as you buy hardware).

In regards for getting support for any M$ OS, I have yet to seek M$'s support.... but thats just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazdrummer
    ...I was trying to make sure it was either 1) something someone has done before without a problem or 2) a legit way to save a little money.

It seems like everyone is almost saying "How dare you try to save money! Spend the extra money." If you all got the money to throw away without trying to find a bargain or a nice deal, I need to get a job wherever you work...

How dare you condescend me! I was giving you real world experience and insight into this, not just the play it safe mentality. I nearly lost my job because a company sold me some Office 2k's for a little less than what you would normally find it. Because I was having trouble finding it from any of my reliable legal resellers, I went the route of the google software search and got pinched for over $2200 worth of useless software. Thankfully, with plenty of effort, and a loss of shipping fee, I was able to get a refund (and keep my job). I spent long hours with Microsoft, the vendor, and composing letters to facilitate this action, all because I was trying to "save" some money.

If you don't like what you hear, tough. You came here for some free advice and got some. How dare you condescend what was actually a most helpful effort of many forum members. You owe us all apologies, but I especially want one exclusively directed to me. :butt: