lost hard drive space

Thread: lost hard drive space

lost hard drive space

since i started using easy cd creator 6 a month ago i have found i have lost a large portion of my HD space, this seems to occur whenever easy doesnt complete a dvd copy for whatever reason, when this happens i loose just over 4 gb of space, my first thought was it will be a temp file that was not automatically deleted after use as the programme did not complete, i am not saying this is not the case but if it is i simply cant find them, i will explain what i have done in an attempt to find these temp files firstly i set temp folder to desktop to make things easier to see whats going on no temp files there though i have done an explorer search for temp files vob files large files no luck, (i have checked all hidden files) another thing thats strange is that in my source directory i have checked all source folder sizes and they all appear to be correct adding upto around 60 gb although i am showing nearly 80 gb full. so it appears that however this space has been taken up it doesnt seem to be by anything that i can physically get at. any help greatly appreciated as i now have 150 mb of space left and getting very annoyed. p.s my friend is also suffering same problem since he started using easy 6.

many thanks james mckie

Did you try running scandisk and defrag since the problems occoured?

yes i have tried both, defragging got me no extra space and disk check reported no errors by the way i am running xp pro

Have you looked for zero byte files at all?
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

after a bit more research on the web i have found a solution to my problem it appears it was down to norton protection i purged my norton protected files from recycle bin and have recovered my lost space, thanks everyone for your help i would be quite interested to know what you mean geoscomp by searching for zero byte files and what it might indicate sounds interesting.

Strange indeed since Roxio uses "cache" setting in Copier for "temp" files. Try this: Choose "Never Cache Source Disk" in Copier Options. But, you can't do that if you only have one DVD/rw .Restart PC, and see what happens. Since, normally it would use the default temp directory: docs and settings\user\local settings\temp for this cache, you have changed it to Desktop. So, change it back.
    PS
    I am still trying to locate what they name the temp files: ideas anyone? iso image?

Quote Originally Posted by james mckie
    after a bit more research on the web i have found a solution to my problem it appears it was down to norton protection i purged my norton protected files from recycle bin and have recovered my lost space, thanks everyone for your help i would be quite interested to know what you mean geoscomp by searching for zero byte files and what it might indicate sounds interesting.
    OK, never mind my response. Glad you figured it out. BTW, disable Norton Protection if you don't ever need it.