Windows updates

Thread: Windows updates

Windows updates

I recently helped a friend whose OE would not save password. We eventually solved problem by deleting a passwords folder in
    regedit. Apparently this is a fault of XP. So I have now advised friend about Windows Update - I know this should happen automatically but only if she is online for some time. Does it matter if she is online via OE or does it have to be via IE for updates to kick in?

As long as the computer has a current internet connection, it doesn't matter if IE or OE is open at all in regards of downloading & installing WU files.
    Darren Wilson is the ....... MONKEY HUNTER..... Coming to a big screen near you soon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mastermiaow
    I recently helped a friend whose OE would not save password. We eventually solved problem by deleting a passwords folder in
    regedit. Apparently this is a fault of XP. So I have now advised friend about Windows Update - I know this should happen automatically but only if she is online for some time. Does it matter if she is online via OE or does it have to be via IE for updates to kick in?
    As Darren says, you don't need to be in IE to receive automatic updates, as long as the pc is connected to the internet.

You will have to check that automatic updates are set up correctly to automatically download however.

Go to Start menu | Settings | Control Panel | Automatic Updates and then choose one of the download / install options there.

emr

download/install options

Quote Originally Posted by emr

Go to Start menu | Settings | Control Panel | Automatic Updates and then choose one of the download / install options there.

emr
    I don't have XP myself so am advising my friend via email/phone. What are the various install options available?

I don't have XP myself so am advising my friend via email/phone. What are the various install options available?

1. Notify before downloading any updates and again before installing them on my computer.
    2. Download the updates automatically and notify me when they are ready to be installed.
    3. Automatically download the updates and install them on the schedule that I specify. (Then you have a choice of every day, etc. and time to install).

thank you

1. Notify before downloading any updates and again before installing them on my computer.
    2. Download the updates automatically and notify me when they are ready to be installed.
    3. Automatically download the updates and install them on the schedule that I specify. (Then you have a choice of every day, etc. and time to install).
    Cool thank you for your help!
    [img]http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/banana.gif[/img]

PS Having trouble with smilie - doesn't seem to be appearing - do you know why?
    Last edited by mastermiaow; March 10th, 2004 at 11:20 AM.

[img] http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/banana.gif [/img]

in the example above you have spaces between the [img] tag and the url - the [url] tags where put there automatically because you have spaces there....

You should be able to just click the smilies and use the code for instanace : D (without the space) becomes
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    in the example above you have spaces between the [img] tag and the url - the [url] tags where put there automatically because you have spaces there....

You should be able to just click the smilies and use the code for instanace : D (without the space) becomes
    Hi Noo Noo
    You're always there when I need you
    I see that I can use no problem but how do I get the banana to actually appear rather than just a hyperlink to the banana. When I go the smiley.onegreatguy.net website I have to copy and paste the link underneath the particular smiley.. I must be doing this wrong but what?

Hi Noo Noo
    You're always there when I need you
    I see that I can use no problem but how do I get the banana to actually appear rather than just a hyperlink to the banana. When I go the smiley.onegreatguy.net website I have to copy and paste the link underneath the particular smiley.. I must be doing this wrong but what?
    Should look like this

PHP Code:
    [img]https://forums.windrivers.com/[/img] 
    no spaces like noo said on either side the the img tags

Code tags don't work properly for removing all tag references.. just reply to this and you'll see it in the quoted text

<Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

[img]http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/banana.gif[/img]

Easy way. Go to this site and right click directly on top of the smiley you want. Next hit "COPY". Come back to your Windrivers post and right Click "PASTE" where you want the smiley on your post. Everything else done for done automatically.

Sorry forgot the link.

http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/.../pageindex.htm
    Last edited by eboyjones; March 10th, 2004 at 12:08 PM.
    "Everybody needs a little help sometimes"

I will get there in the end

Quote Originally Posted by Matridom
    Should look like this

PHP Code:
    [img]https://forums.windrivers.com/[/img] 
    no spaces like noo said on either side the the img tags

Code tags don't work properly for removing all tag references.. just reply to this and you'll see it in the quoted text

ok
    I will try I copy and paste the line above and it should come out as the dancing banana.....

Ha it works
    So why didn't it work on my post of 3/9??? I've checked and it's exactly the same......? Is it something to do with:
    "Code tags don't work properly for removing all tag references" ???
    But what exactly does this mean?

And thank you eboy BUT ..... copy works fine but paste is greyed out when I try to put it in here........
    Last edited by mastermiaow; March 11th, 2004 at 06:35 PM.

Hi I have just tried this with another friend and cannot find automatic updates in control panel - both classic view and category view. I have gone around the computer looking for it but not having any luck.
    Please advise.

Hi I have just tried this with another friend and cannot find automatic updates in control panel - both classic view and category view. I have gone around the computer looking for it but not having any luck.
    Please advise.
    Assuming that this is still XP we are talking about?

What service pack are you at? You may need to update to SP1 to get the most up to date "automatic update" client. If that makes any sense.

emr

Assuming that this is still XP we are talking about?

What service pack are you at? You may need to update to SP1 to get the most up to date "automatic update" client. If that makes any sense.

emr
    Yep definitely talking XP here. So you are saying that before I see an Automatic update icon in control panel, I need to have downloaded XP service pack one?

Second question - at the moment as soon as the computer goes online it starts downloading an update. At the moment I can find no way of controlling the way this happens (because there is no automatic update icon in control panel). If it downloads 18% whilst online and then I disconnect, will it start at 19% when I reconnect or go right back to the beginning of the download?
    Last edited by mastermiaow; April 1st, 2004 at 01:16 PM.