anyone here done work for Teksystems?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: anyone here done work for Teksystems?

anyone here done work for Teksystems?

Got a job offer from this company to "refresh" some pc's at a government office nearby and I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with them. they claim to be a large third party support company. Their website is www.teksystems.com . I don't know if they are legitimate or not.
    "You've been livin' on the razor's edge, since you began to shave...
    Make sure you live, you're a long time dead, cradle to the grave"-Motorhead

Teksystems

We have hired several help desk techs from Teksystems, what would you like to know?

EC
    GO PATS!!!!

Banned
    Got my job through them as a contract that went to full hire

Thanks for the fast replies. I just wanted to know if they were a trustworthy outfit or if I was going to to do 2 weeks worth work and get screwed. I'll call their recruiter back now and find out more specifics.

Quote Originally Posted by cabal
    ... I just wanted to know if they were a trustworthy outfit ...
    Dumb yes - they hired 'teh Cleetus' .. & that puts 'trustworthy' in a different light too ! ....

Thanks for the fast replies. I just wanted to know if they were a trustworthy outfit or if I was going to to do 2 weeks worth work and get screwed. I'll call their recruiter back now and find out more specifics.
    That's status quo in the contract world. Some contracts are short, or get cut short--start late, then others last for several months and you are rolling in dough. Tek has always had some opportunity in my area, so for the short term, I say your are going to do all right. Don’t forget to make real good friends with the recruiter, and any of the account reps there. As long as they like you they will go the extra mile for you, and they will pay you better than the other techs in the field with you.

Smile

Thanks for the heads up, Ya_know. I am between jobs right now and would love some contract work. I had to ask if this company was ok because I got screwed over a couple of times doing third party work. No major loss, but it leaves a bad taste in your mouth and makes you less trusting when it gets offered to you again.

Thanks for the heads up, Ya_know. I am between jobs right now and would love some contract work. I had to ask if this company was ok because I got screwed over a couple of times doing third party work. No major loss, but it leaves a bad taste in your mouth and makes you less trusting when it gets offered to you again.

I would go for it. Generally, most people who are looking for work are not currently working (duh!),so to keep busy they take contract work. It is good for the experience too.

Part of the reason companies get contractors is that they dont want to pay benefits tothe employee. The contract company will offer you 1099 or W2.

If you take 1099, they dont take taxes out at the time of payment but you have to add that into your income for the year on your taxes. If you work W2, the contract company takes taxes out, soem of them offer benefits on long term contracts (they are usually expensive tho) But if you work for a year and then get laid off or the contract ends, you will be able to collect unemployment.

I was hired for a long term contract which became a 60 day'er after we finished the upgrade phase of the project. I called my previous employer back and am now sitting at my old desk as an independent contractor. Of course the reason I left in the first place is that we are closing in April (consolidating to Florida). I fourtunately got an offer yesterday for a permanent position closer to home.

New Job!!!
    GO PATS!!!!

Banned
    Teksystems will almost always do w2, and they also offer health insurance, direct deposit, very good experience with them. My rep took me to lunch every couple of weeks, called once a week to check on me, and they have been trying to get me back for more work, but there just isn't much around worth leaving here for.

i work for tek right now actually. they have ****ed me over a couple times, but they are the only ones that keep finding me jorbs so..... I'm currently trying to negotiate for more cash and free bennies
    It's good to be the King.

Quote Originally Posted by King Grover
    i work for tek right now actually. they have ****ed me over a couple times, but they are the only ones that keep finding me jorbs so..... I'm currently trying to negotiate for more cash and free bennies
    The same experience I had with them...

i almost went to work for them, but got an offer closer to home(and full time) but i know a few people who worked for them...i dont beleive they got screwed
    Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs

Registered User imaeditedbysowulo's Avatar
    I worked for them about 5 years ago. They treated me exceptionally well, but they had been searching for 4 months for someone that had a particular skill I was lucky enough to have, so they didn't want to let me go. They hand delivered my paycheck each week and the dude brought me lunch every time he came to drop off the check.

I only worked for them for two months cuz the company I worked at bought out the contract to hire me as their own tech, but I have nothing but positive to say about teksystems. I had a few friends that worked for them that said they got jerked around a few times, but they weren't the best workers in the world and TS probably used them as a last resort. If you do good work for them, I think they will take very good care of you.
    WWBRD?

Sorry to necromance an old dead thread, but I was interested in working for TEKSystems, and I found this thread on Google.

Anyway, my situation is I'm going to be a sophomore in the fall at a local liberal arts college. I've taken a class on VB (and finished on the top of my class), and am going to take some Java classes in the fall and winter (thinking of minoring in Computer Science). I also have taken some required classes in BAT (Business Application Technology... ie, learning how to use MS Office Suite). I also have done volunteer work at the local television station (I am good friends with the producer there), doing some film things, but just as often I'd help with computers (hardware and software... mainly Macs). I've also set up many various networks, such as the wireless network in my house, helped friends, etc. And finally, I've also built my own computer, and have reformatted it and various others many times.

I know my skills are quite lacking in the realm of computer science as it is. But I just stumbled upon their website from a job-finding website I got from a friend. What I want to know is, with my limited experience, would they even bother to hire me? Or even if they did, would they screw me over in pay? I read on their site that your pay depends on your level of skill.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by BradGrace; May 27th, 2007 at 04:15 AM.

I had a very good experience with them, so I don't believe they would screw you over. From my own experience and talking with others who worked for them, since the jobs they hire for tend to be of short duration, anywhere from a couple of weeks to a year, they pay more. If they want you then you should be golden. The job they got me let me put my foot in the door at a state agency close to my home, they hired me under contract for a year and a half, then hired me permanently. One of the best career moves I made.