Intel Desktop Board D845GBV

Thread: Intel Desktop Board D845GBV

Intel Desktop Board D845GBV

I am having trouble trying to get Windows XP to shut down properly with this board. It is not a power setting in XP and I have upgraded the BIOS to the latest and greatest. You can hear the HDD shut down, but a blue desktop screen and mouse pointer stay on the display. Mouse and keyboard do not work, just the monitor. Any ideas? Also, if this is in the wrong forum, I am sorry.

Thanks!

Did you load the intel motherboard inf file from the CD? Did you try an updated version from www.intel.com?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I have not tried an updated file from the website. All I did was update the BIOS. I am not sure if the client has a CD for the board, but I will ask. I will also try from intel. That thought had occurred to me, but I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't some BIOS setting that I had to check or something. I'll let you guys know.

might be wise to check the video driver while you are at it, install a new one after you have done the motherboard drivers.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

OK, here's what I have done.

I have downloaded the latest INF from Intel, no good.
    Did find an updated driver for the video, downloaded, no good. Don't have another card to test yet.
    Disabled the power management on the USB hubs, no good.
    Even did a registry hack that I found at another website, no good.

Any ideas now? I am totally stumped on this one.

Even though you've done everything in the right order and haven't fixed it, I think you're on the right track. It's got to be a driver or service. Could be hardware itself, but unlikely.

Not shutting down can be caused by hardware code or services like antivirus or other software services that won't shut down until something happens in the correct order. When some code doesn't let go, it keeps Windows from going to the next step in the shutdown process.

Have you updated your CD-writing software?
    How are your Windows updates?
    Is there an error logged in your Event Logs?
    Do you have antivirus?
    What about a firewall?

Do you have a USB stick left in a port? Sometimes computers won't shut down, or will hang on boot when you leave a USB stick in. Not sure why.
    Have any peripheral devices? Scanners, cameras, printers. Try unhooking all external stuff to see if the problem persists.
    Swap your mouse with an old PS2 mouse that you know is good to see if the mouse is the problem.

And if that doesn't do it, try sprinkling chicken blood on it, roll some bones, and chant come good voodoo.

To answer your questions:

There is no CD burner on the machine.
    All Windows Updates have been applied.
    There are no anomalous events.
    I have uninstalled Trend Micro, but no success.
    The firewall is on a Cisco PIX box.

I was thinking about the mouse, it is USB. In fact, thats the only thing USB being used on the machine. I did not try it yet, but I will.

I tried to figure out how long it has been happening, but the user made it seem like it just started for no reason. I am thinking that worst case, wipe and reload the machine and locked the user down. For some reason, she has full admin rights to the machine. I think that maybe she loaded something and it is messing with the machine. I will get back to you guys on this.

Thanks for the help so far!

Just in today, another tech called me in to look at a user's Dell GX270 that wouldn't shut down. It had a USB keybaord and a USB mouse plugged into the keyboard.

I looked in Device Manager and there was a USB device with a yellow exclamation mark, yet the USB hub was fine. I looked for any other USB device and found nothing. So I deleted the exclaimed device and did a rescan. It plugged and played fine. It should've worked the first time and not sure why it was any different the second time, but it shuts down fine, now.

Then (the day of USB not letting things shut down) I went to a GX240 (notorious for not liking the SMS Remote Control mirror drivers) and saw it also had a USB keyboard. Unlike the other computer, there seemed to be nothing wrong in Device Manager. I deleted the keyboard anyway and then the SMS mirror driver. (The SMS mirror driver is a nasty hack that requires a reboot.)
    When it rebooted, I saw the keyboard had plugged and played fine and now the computer shuts down.

If you're in an enterprise where SMS is used with the Remote Control crap, try to force the mirror drivers to either go on first, or last. SMS particularly screws up the dynamics of USB PnP.